Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Round 2 Port Adelaide v Swans

Trengove pushed Tippett in the shoulder and his hand slipped and a finger have Heeney a little poke in the eye. Opposite angle showed it quite clearly. perfect example of how camera angles are used in Movies to make it look like someone has been punched when usually they are six inches from contact.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    He whacked him in the eye!
    No freakin' way!
    That's just outrageous.
    Nah nothing in it and fair enough that he got off.

Mind you I reckon this Heeney kid could still play ok without eyes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Nah nothing in it and fair enough that he got off.

Mind you I reckon this Heeney kid could still play ok without eyes anyway.
    Isn't he great.
    Reminds me of a younger Hanners... has the football brain of a 35 year old.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I was gobsmacked where he picked up a loose ball turned,had a quick glance and on his non-preferred left foot kicked it to Buddy. Absolute class! Watching him I think that he is comfortable kicking with either foot.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    I was gobsmacked where he picked up a loose ball turned,had a quick glance and on his non-preferred left foot kicked it to Buddy. Absolute class! Watching him I think that he is comfortable kicking with either foot.
    That was a seriously classy bit of football - best moment of a great night of football for the Swans.

You can get 6/1 on Heeney to win the rising star - I'm tempted to have a few $$$$ on him.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    That was brilliant football...loved the reaction from the commentators as well.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    That was brilliant football...loved the reaction from the commentators as well.
    Commentators didn't comment it on it on the replay I watched? Last qtr, Heeney on about half back flank ?

Just back in Sydney today after a few days in Adelaide. What a match! It was a fantastic experience sitting in a bay full of Swans' fans cheering till we were hoarse. Needless to say my two Adelaide rellies (who are Port fans but mercifully sat elsewhere in the ground) were considerably less enthusiastic!

I noted earlier in this thread that there were a few narky comments about the Port fans singing of INXS�s �Never Tear Us Apart� before the first bounce. For those unaware of the reasons Port Adelaide has adopted that song, the following is a potted history as I understand it.

There was a quite bitter internal struggle behind the entry of the Port Adelaide FC into the AFL (which was initially blocked by South Australian legal action by those who went on to push for the creation of the Adelaide Crows). While the Port Adelaide FC dates back to 1870 and it wore black and white from 1902 and hence was called the �Magpies�, when the club eventually did enter the AFL in 1997, conditions were imposed that forced it to do so as an entirely separate entity from its SA state league team (which was from then on called �Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club�), and it had to adopt new colours (black, white, teal and silver), and a new nickname (the �Power�). In 2010 a strong movement developed to reunite the �two Port Adelaides� as a single club. This was achieved in 2011 and from 2012 Port Adelaide members have been members of the united Port Adelaide Football Club.

This then led to the adoption of the INXS song as homage to the club�s heritage and as a statement that never again would they allow their club to be �torn apart�. It is symbolically quite emotional for their fans, just as our wearing of the letters �SMFC� and referring to our team as �the Bloods� is to us. I for one respect that.

Thank you for that insight Meg .
    It makes the song very important to them.
    Robbo could well have documented that on 360 the other night to a much bigger audience.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    As well as Heeney's play, what about the extraction from Kennedy. Extracted the ball, kept his feet, used his strength to get a metre and then put the ball to Heeney.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Very helpful post Meg, and thanks for filling in the gaps for us. I knew the stuff around the Crows but hadn't connected the song.

Also my impression is that there is similar feeling in SA football generally about the Victorian flavour of the AFL.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)