Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2 Port Adelaide v Swans

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Interesting what Hurley said during the past week re; Essendon's 'fadeout' against us. He said their loss was more due to the Swans brutal style of play that ground them down, not a lack of pre season match fitness. I was happy to read that appraisal, and it seems the boys are addressing some post GF issues......and I like it!!
    Ken Hinkley said there were a 'plenty of bruises' for his players after the game because Sydney had 'whacked them around a bit'.

Good.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Exactly right. Essendon are very competitive and balanced, are going to win more matches than they lose, and should play finals, so we can view last weeks win as a very handy four points in the bigger scheme of things.
    Don't forget that Sam Mitchell and Josh Gibson didn't take the field and James Frawley got injured very early on and they still nearly won.

we equally had McVeigh and McGlynn out against the Bombers

secondly a midfield that has the likes of Heppell, Goodard and Jobe is a serious trio
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Don't forget that Sam Mitchell and Josh Gibson didn't take the field and James Frawley got injured very early on and they still nearly won.
    Very true and that is why it's so risky to rest players when you think it's a potentially easy game, like someone suggested for our game against the Bombers in round 1. As long as the opposition field a team, they are - no matter how slim - a chance

Blog Entries
    Can't believe that was the same team that played last weekend against the bombers.
    Their skills were so slick it was unreal.

It was a great game to watch as both teams played with a great deal of skill.
    Port has a great ability to hit a target with point precision.
    We were hitting handball targets with the same precision.

I'd love to see where Rohan would be had he not missed almost 2 years of footy.
    He used his pace well, and generally had a great game barring a few missed marks.

If we play like that each week, we'd be unstoppable.
    But that aint gunna happen.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Very true and that is why it's so risky to rest players when you think it's a potentially easy game, like someone suggested for our game against the Bombers in round 1. As long as the opposition field a team, they are - no matter how slim - a chance
    I only suggested the resting concept if the Dons had to play their NAB depleted side.

It was great to catch up with some of the RWOers in person in Adelaide
    Thanks for making a great day even better!
    To those who came & I didn't get the chance to meet, hope you had a great time - it was awesome to hear the Swans contingent in full voice!

IMHO the sub role is what should be used for "resting" uninjured players. I think that's why it is a shame to clog up our sub with Goodes when we could use it to manage our young players or players returning from injury such as McGlynn.

I think Longmire will probably give Adam a full game, or at least 3 quarters, against GWS as a final test to see whether he can perform. Any other player would probably be dropped to the reserves.

Unbelievably, I agree with Matt80 that Heeney should be sub this week because the last thing we want is him getting injured through fatigue early into a promising season. I'm struggling to think who makes way for McGlynn but I think Goodes is the obvious, if unsentimental, choice. If not him, then I guess Laidler, Towers or Rohan (none of which I'll be happy about).

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    IMHO the sub role is what should be used for "resting" uninjured players. I think that's why it is a shame to clog up our sub with Goodes when we could use it to manage our young players or players returning from injury such as McGlynn.

I think Longmire will probably give Adam a full game, or at least 3 quarters, against GWS as a final test to see whether he can perform. Any other player would probably be dropped to the reserves.

Unbelievably, I agree with Matt80 that Heeney should be sub this week because the last thing we want is him getting injured through fatigue early into a promising season. I'm struggling to think who makes way for McGlynn but I think Goodes is the obvious, if unsentimental, choice. If not him, then I guess Laidler, Towers or Rohan (none of which I'll be happy about).
    I think Heeney also needs to be rested up on the Subs bench because the following week is a trip to Subico where he will face a big ground and a physically imposing side in Freemantle. Let him be fresh for that challenge. It's hard for 18 year olds against men. In 2014, Lloyd and Cunningham always played well the week after being freshened up on the Subs bench.

I hope Goodes plays well this week against GWS.

I have been impressed with Laidler, but he can't stay in the side at the expense of Adam Goodes. Towers or Rohan can rotate through Laidlers role in defence.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Did someone mention that Towers had only played 8 games? Seemed wrong on face value, but I guess that is about right.

Doesnt seem to get judged through that lense. Is that because he is an older age recruit or because he was our first round pick?

Thought he was ok against Port, and a pretty reasonable foil for the two other towers.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    There was definitely a visible intent to impose our selves physically, not in a thuggish or illegal way, just making sure the opposition know there going to feel it if they get caught with the footy , and there gonna get a bit of attention of they hand out any treatment to one of ours. Fantastic stuff, hope they Mantain that. Great result, particularly when you travel over for it!
    That is the response we all wanted to see. None of the meek crap we saw in the grand final - but a return of the 'Bloods' football we have been spoilt with over the last decade. Get in there, let them know they are in for a contest, and we aren't going to take a backwards step. Saturday Night's effort is exactly what I want us to do to the Wees and Poos in Round 8.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swanstubbs View Post
    ABC Radio said it was "Richie, Richie" crowd chant for Richie Benaud as they put something on the screen?? Not there, just saying...

Great win regardless
    It was pretty clearly the Sydddnnnney Chant on MMM in the last quarter.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    ...Towers or Rohan can rotate through Laidlers role in defence.
    I think last weekend showed that Rohan and Towers are not defenders but are naturally wingmen, they should be kept out of the backline.
    BTW I think Gary would be an awesome wingman if you were heading out for a few frothies at an Eastern suburbs bar.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017