Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
Good intro, MattW. And some interesting ideas.

On paper we look outgunned but it's not a bad time to have drawn the Eagles. Maybe their hub-itis will give us a chance. Or maybe they'll finally get their act together.

I don't have many bright ideas about selection. It's hard to judge without being able to watch reserves. Could be good to regain McCartin but I won't be surprised if they spell him another week. Gray seems a likely inclusion although it will mean we're getting shorter and shorter. In fact, if we select as you suggest, won't we only have three players 190+ cm? (Sinclair, McLean & Aliir unless McCartin is available.) Actually, I'm overlooking the addition of Melican, which goes to show why we need him.

I'm not sure what to think about COR. He's such a hard worker. Does that reinforce your point about him having a low ceiling (otherwise wouldn't he be better by now?) or does it suggest he will be able to remedy his deficiencies if given enough opportunity?

Last random thought: it bears remembering that these are strange and difficult times. There are a lot of people who are struggling. Players are not immune. Do we need to make some allowance for this before making long term judgments about their worth? The coaches and welfare staff are fortunately better placed to assess this.
I would swap Hayward and COR. Hayward finally started to show some confidence when shifted back last week and COR has shown he has some goal kicking talents in the past. His defensive skills would not go astray in the forward line any way. Low risk, potentially high reward strategy IMHO.