Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 1: Brisbane v Swans @ the Gabba

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    He is a mid and so he should. In his two senior games as a small forward he got 6 and 8 touches.
    That was last year. Wasnt ready. New year and its a clean slate. Hes had a superb preseason while others were just solid, it must count for something. As Neon Bible said above wehave some good competition for spots. Solid might not make the cut. Form matters, we must have our best team possible out there on Saturday night against the flag favourites. Imagine if we are thrashed with a handful of out of form players who are passengers while a fit and raring to go Warner watches from the sidelines. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    That was last year. Wasnt ready. New year and its a clean slate. Hes had a superb preseason while others were just solid, it must count for something. As Neon Bible said above wehave some good competition for spots. Solid might not make the cut. Form matters, we must have our best team possible out there on Saturday night against the flag favourites. Imagine if we are thrashed with a handful of out of form players who are passengers while a fit and raring to go Warner watches from the sidelines. No thanks.
    Reasonable argument TB, Warner was excellent in his last showing. Hard as nails, quick off the step, got to the right places. Damaging, played with enthusiasm and heart.

The caveat to your argument is that you make it seem like Warner was the only one who had a good day and the others dropped off. That was not the case. Wicks had 16 possessions, 1 goal, 9 tackles, 6 score involvements, most tackles and pressure acts from anyone in iur team, and led the team in Fantasy points. Rowbottom had 17 possessions, 2 goals, 11 contested possessions only Parker and Joey had more, 6 tackles and led the team for Supercoach points. Hayward kicked 4 or 5 goals in the intraclub match a month ago and is an integral medium forward in our setup with Isaac. For established players they have showed enough form. I can assure you that Longmire and the match selection committee will not use a solitary pre season game to base its selection decisions around !!

+1 your case against George though. He did not look ripe. Give him some time in the reserves to get himself right. Warner can hold down the fort until then.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    I agree, my point is that he is an inside mid, not a small forward so the comparison is not apples with apples. All roles on the field are specialized and hopefully the days have gone where a promising mid is chucked into a small forward position only to fail.

Veterans List
    Joey's comment has me more confident that Warner may be picked.....but it won't be at the expense of Rowbottom. Maybe Hewitt?

Sinclair for Reid

Rampe McCartin Lloyd
    Melican Dawson Cunningham

Hickey Kennedy Mills
    Florent Rowbottom Blakey

Heeney Reid Hayward
    Papley McDonald Wicks

Gulden, Campbell, Parker, Hewett

And agree that Warner could get a run! Not sure who misses (Haywood, Wicks or ?)

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Joey's comment has me more confident that Warner may be picked.....but it won't be at the expense of Rowbottom. Maybe Hewitt?
    The fact they played Hewett as a half back with Lloyd to return makes me think he’s in serious danger of missing out.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The fact they played Hewett as a half back with Lloyd to return makes me think he’s in serious danger of missing out.
    Good point.

Note to mod's.....I think I froze the '2021 pre-season general footy chat' thread with an ABC link. Please remedy.

Veterans List
    Three debutantes.....

Swans trio set to feature in Round 1 - YouTube

.....and this was a nice way to announce the above.

Longmire's special debutants announcement - YouTube

Plus the Injury report.

Injury Update – 16 March, 2021 - YouTube
    Last edited by stevoswan; 17th March 2021 at 02:37 PM.

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Three debutantes.....

Swans trio set to feature in Round 1 - YouTube

.....and this was a nice way to announce the above.

Longmire's special debutants announcement - YouTube

Plus the Injury report.

Injury Update – 16 March, 2021 - YouTube

I am a little curious about the injury report as it doesn't mention Reid or Hewett. The reason I say this is that there were two photos on social media recently which concerned me. One from Sam Naismith at the Guernsey Presentation of Sam Reid with an elbow brace on, the other from George's partner which had George with his hand in a brace. Make of that what you will. Swans aren't always forthcoming in injury reports for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    Sinclair for Reid
    Nice call. I could live with that. I reckon Sinclair is a real handful as a KPF and a decent chop-out ruck. It means we lose the swingman role Reid has taken on, but we do have Mills and Heeney to bring into the back half when necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    I am a little curious about the injury report as it doesn't mention Reid or Hewett. The reason I say this is that there were two photos on social media recently which concerned me. One from Sam Naismith at the Guernsey Presentation of Sam Reid with an elbow brace on, the other from George's partner which had George with his hand in a brace. Make of that what you will. Swans aren't always forthcoming in injury reports for whatever reason.
    and nothing on Stephens or McInerney

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Although it has been suggested up here, especially before Raynor was injured that Neale will spend more time forward in 2021. Hewett may have been getting a sighter as a rebounding HB defender in the context of following Neale from on ball then into the forward line?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Round 1 2014 vs GWS at their ground. I was there, it was pretty impressive - lightning struck the stadium at one point.
    Sorry about that, I'm a lousy shot.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast