Page 94 of 198 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144194 ... LastLast
Results 1,117 to 1,128 of 2366

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    In the draft I would be going for the best ruckman available.
    It's a waste of a draft pick. Most of the best ruckmen come from the rookie draft. It takes years to develop a ruckman, then they usually fall over or leave the club. It's the biggest long shot in the draft. Even the ones that seem a success, like Brody Grundy, sign a big long term contract, then go into effective early retirement, sticking the club with a huge hole in their salary cap.

It's more likely that Peter Ladhams will become a rocket scientist, and the Swans will fly to the moon on his back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's a waste of a draft pick. Most of the best ruckmen come from the rookie draft. It takes years to develop a ruckman, then they usually fall over or leave the club. It's the biggest long shot in the draft. Even the ones that seem a success, like Brody Grundy, sign a big long term contract, then go into effective early retirement, sticking the club with a huge hole in their salary cap.

It's more likely that Peter Ladhams will become a rocket scientist, and the Swans will fly to the moon on his back.
    if we want a ruckman why aren't we talking to Grundy? Pies can absorb part of his salary and he would an excellent addition to our team. He and Hickey would be a powerful combination while Ladhams learns to think of the team instead of immature rushes of blood to the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

I dunno, there's been some pretty good ones taken high recently. Luke Jackson, Tim English, Luke Darcy's son, Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I dunno, there's been some pretty good ones taken high recently. Luke Jackson, Tim English, Luke Darcy's son, Ben.
    Of course there have been some great ruckmen taken early in the draft, but the vast majority have been taken round 3 or later, with many taken in the rookie draft. Even Freo's Ben Darcy was taken in the 3rd round.

We are stuck with Hickey and Ladhams in the meantime. I would send Ladhams to off season therapy. I'm running a session in January which includes 6 free dental implants (anesthetics extra), which would have Peter as docile as a lab rat when it's done.

Taryn Thomas anybody?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Swan15 View Post
    Taryn Thomas anybody?
    Yes please, could be a seriously good player based on his second half of last season but has had issues this year. He might really blossom in a better team and away from the Melbourne fishbowl.

Veterans List
    So we are going into the next few years with Ladhams as our no.1 ruckman. Sam Reid has signed for one more year and the only other at this point is Amartey. Cal Twomey had the first ruckman at around pick 18. I reckon we have one or two years to develop a drafted ruckman otherwise Papley may indeed be playing ruck.

Senior Player
    So we are going into the next few years with Ladhams as our no.1 ruckman. Sam Reid has signed for one more year and the only other at this point is Amartey. Cal Twomey had the first ruckman at around pick 18. I reckon we have one or two years to develop a drafted ruckman otherwise Papley may indeed be playing ruck.
    Hickey still around for 2 more years I would have thought.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Hickey still around for 2 more years I would have thought.
    Yes, but.....will his body stand up to it? Melbourne are after Grundy because they can't expect Gawn to do the heavy lifting alone. Maybe we are talking to Grundy.

Senior Player
    Yes, but.....will his body stand up to it? Melbourne are after Grundy because they can't expect Gawn to do the heavy lifting alone. Maybe we are talking to Grundy.
    Who knows. Hickey has been very good for us. Ladhams has ability and we gave him a 4 yr deal. Enough time to grow up hopefully. Still think 3 weeks for what he did was way over the top.

..... Still think 3 weeks for what he (Ladhams) did was way over the top.
    I thought so too when I watched the footage. But only subsequently have I realised that Woewodin was concussed by that incident and is now listed as an out for 1-2 weeks. So possibly not available for Casey’s semi-final.

I now think the grading of intentional, high contact and high impact is justified. I can see why the Swans didn’t appeal. Ladhams is actually lucky the VFL system allows an early plea which brought the suspension down from 4 weeks to 3.

Who knows. Hickey has been very good for us. Ladhams has ability and we gave him a 4 yr deal. Enough time to grow up hopefully. Still think 3 weeks for what he did was way over the top.
    I tend to agree that we should not write off Ladhams at this point. Working on his attitude and temper should be doable. He does seem to have ability.