Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AFLW Semi 2023: Adelaide v Sydney Swans 7.45pm EDT Saturday 18th Norwood Oval

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

AFLW Semi 2023: Adelaide v Sydney Swans 7.45pm EDT Saturday 18th Norwood Oval

We've never played them before for real - nor do I even recall a practice match.
    So it's all new territory.
    The Post/Crows game at Norwood set this seasons attendance record 8,722 - so it might be a fiesty environment for our women.

Sadly Privitelli is out with a Lisfranc :-(
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    IN: Montana Beruldsen
    OUT: Rebecca Privitelli
    One forward in one out, but not realy like for like.

Which of the Crows AA mids will TanyaK go to?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 17th November 2023 at 09:54 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Not long to go now, and I'm starting to get that wobbly feeling in the pit of my stomach that I get ahead of all the important AFLM matches.

Something I heard or read this week (I can't recall exactly where so can't credit it - quite probably an edition of the W Show on the AFL website, but not this week's edition) is that Norwood Oval has quite an unusual shape, something that gives Adelaide a marked home advantage. I think the variation in size/shape of the grounds in the men's competition is overstated as a factor for why teams win or lose at certain grounds (though I do think familiarity with wind conditions can provide a marked advantage to home teams on some grounds). But the ground variation possibly is still something of a factor in the women's game, given how much less experienced and cohesive the teams are, and because the ball tends to be in dispute for a larger proportion of the game.

This came up as a bit of a discussion point early in the season after Gowans commented on the challenge of playing on Brisbane's large home ground.

AFLW R3 2023: Lions v Sydney Swans, 5.05pm EST Sun 17 Sept Springfield Qld - Page 3 (post 27)

And then again a couple of weeks later as we headed to Ikon Park to play Carlton.

http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/for...t-Princes-Park (post 1)

So I went and had a look at the dimensions of Norwood Oval to see how it compares to other grounds we've played on this season. It is 165m by 110m. That's remarkably similar to the "long and thin" ground that Geelong call home (in both competitions), which measures 170m by 115m.

Metricon - which we now know posed no problems for our women last week - measures 161m by 134m (remarkably similar to the SCG dimensions of 155m x 136m). Norward Oval's size therefore shouldn't be a concern, but its clipped wings might alter the way the team tries to move the ball. Less space out wide won't hurt the new "high pressure" style of play that the team has discovered late in the season.

Sources

Australian Stadiums | Austadiums
    Last edited by liz; 18th November 2023 at 05:52 PM.

Senior Player
    All the experts in The Age down here have picked the Crows to win big, one of the margins being 40 pts. It is not that dissimilar to their tips last week except for the margins. Hoping it is another case of Victorian ignorance and denial!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    All the experts in The Age down here have picked the Crows to win big, one of the margins being 40 pts. It is not that dissimilar to their tips last week except for the margins. Hoping it is another case of Victorian ignorance and denial!
    Had I tipped last week, my head would probably have directed me to the Suns. They were at home, and seemed a bigger, stronger side than we were (and still are). But my heart kept pushing that we had a chance, if we brought our best.

This week my head definitely holds sway. There remains a big gap between the top four and the rest. We've done brilliantly so far this season, but I don't think we've quite bridged that gap yet, especially without two of our most important half dozen or so players.

I just hope they have fun and battle it out. I'll be disappointed if they get blown off the park. And maybe a little surprised too, but not shocked.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Sydney goes into this match not favoured to win. Adelaide finished on top of the ladder for a reason.

All that means is there's no pressure of expectations on Sydney. Adelaide is expected to win, so they will be under more pressure.

The Sydney team needs to remember two things: Adelaide players put on their shoes one a time like everyone else, and the scoreboard starts at 0 for both sides.

Here's hoping Sydney can stifle Adelaide with a strong pressure game like we did against Gold Coast (most tackles in an AFLW game ever!) and make the game competitive.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Our improvement over the last part of the year was huge but the coach said after the game that we had nothing to lose but could run into a 'freight train' this week. Hope not. I'm more nervous this week.

I'm expecting a significant loss but Adelaide have been known to stumble before so I give us a slim chance. It will be interesting to see how close we can get.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post

Here's hoping Sydney can stifle Adelaide with a strong pressure game like we did against Gold Coast (most tackles in an AFLW game ever!) and make the game competitive.
    This! If we bring that same pressure then watch out Adelaide!

I'm worried about the loss of Privitelli. She is so important to our forward line.

So nervous right now!

Veterans List
    We can't afford to lose Ham. Hopefully she is just winded.

That was poor on the goal line, we should have rushed it through.

Goal Newman! Great noise from the Swans fans!

Ham is back on 🙂.

Veterans List
    What a mullet on number 19!

Too much handball - just get it and boot it forward.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast