Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041

Thread: 2024 List Management

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Kurt Tippett.

(And maybe Tony Armstrong.)

BTW, the rules around matching bids as they currently stand (ie before the AFL changes the rules) is that if you finish in the top four you can only match one first round bid for an academy player. If you finish fifth to eighth you can match two. If you finish out of the top eight there is no restriction.

And of course these limits don't apply to father-son candidates. So Carlton could finish top four this year (yeah, emphasis on 'could') and still be allowed to match first round picks on both Camporeale twins (if they go that high).

Edit: The restrictions may actually apply to top 20 bids, rather than the more elastic "first round". I can't remember precisely and I can't be bothered to go and look it up right now.
    Ta. Looks like we might be restricted to one first rounder for the next couple of seasons. I doubt if it will be a problem this season, but it could be a problem next year.

And I wouldn't really include Tippett as a go home. While he was born in Sydney, he spent pretty well all his childhood and played all his junior footy in Queensland. (When typing that, I was very tempted to find and reopen the legendary Tippett thread).

Veterans List
    Top 20, or as you say Liz, 'the elastic first round' which last year got out to 27? if I recall. Let's see where it settles for the future.

Watching the AFL closely to see what modifications they make to the draft.

And how's the Vic clubs whinging about WA clubs getting extra Business Class seats! I see Hardwick, that would be the bloke who sooked it up about having to play at Marvel, has fired a broadside at those clubs given how little they travel. Also seems to have come around to supporting Northern Academies

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Top 20, or as you say Liz, 'the elastic first round' which last year got out to 27? if I recall. Let's see where it settles for the future.

Watching the AFL closely to see what modifications they make to the draft.

And how's the Vic clubs whinging about WA clubs getting extra Business Class seats! I see Hardwick, that would be the bloke who sooked it up about having to play at Marvel, has fired a broadside at those clubs given how little they travel. Also seems to have come around to supporting Northern Academies
    People have short (and self-serving) memories.

When Eddie Maguire landed in Sydney to take up his short-lived role as CEO of Nine, he was vocal about
    a) how expensive Sydney was compared to Melbourne and hence that a cost of living allowance was most definitely needed for the Swans; and
    b) how hard it was to find opportunities for his sons to play junior football in Sydney. This was pre-academy, but sounded like an argument for why academies might be a good thing.

And now...

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I won’t get this site closed down by defaming anyone with details but let me tell ya as someone who’s worked in media and communication circles, Eddie’s bad behaviour extends well beyond his evil manipulation of all things footy and what he’s done to the Swans and Goodes. A truly awful person.

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041