Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536

Thread: 2024 List Management

Maybe if Hayward goes to Port, we can ask Aliir in return.

Veterans List
    If Sheldrick has a year left on his contract he stays. Who knows if Parker will continue or even Adams. To let Sheldrick go at seasons end is folly to me.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    If Sheldrick has a year left on his contract he stays. Who knows if Parker will continue or even Adams. To let Sheldrick go at seasons end is folly to me.
    Daring to dream, if we win the premiership, it would be perfect time for Parker to retire, almost bookend premierships (in his second and last years).

Taylor might also retire after missing out last year. Would be a good send off for Reid as well, if he can get fit and force his way into the side.

Reid retired 2022 GF.

He aint coming back, forget it

Having skimmed through Gettable on the AFL site, the relevant Swans bits are. The heading, "Swans free agent to stay" refers to Melican, who has apparently hit a trigger in his contract and will be with us next year. Which I'm quite pleased about. They also float the idea that North should make a play for Parker. Which might be good for North, but I don't think Parker deserves that grim fate. Unless he really likes a challenge. And in regards to Hayward, they think his current in demand status could generate a tier one compensation pick. Though I wouldn't get too excited by that, since our likely ladder position would see that pick being in late teens, or perhaps early twenties, with academy bidding, father/son and other compensation picks.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Melican has hit a trigger for another year on his contract

Inside Trading: Swan hits trigger, Package deal close, young Dog's offer

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Having skimmed through Gettable on the AFL site, the relevant Swans bits are. The heading, "Swans free agent to stay" refers to Melican, who has apparently hit a trigger in his contract and will be with us next year. Which I'm quite pleased about. They also float the idea that North should make a play for Parker. Which might be good for North, but I don't think Parker deserves that grim fate. Unless he really likes a challenge. And in regards to Hayward, they think his current in demand status could generate a tier one compensation pick. Though I wouldn't get too excited by that, since our likely ladder position would see that pick being in late teens, or perhaps early twenties, with academy bidding, father/son and other compensation picks.
    To provide a bit more context.

They said if Hayward was offered a salary of around $700K per year, we should get an end of round one pick, based on compensations from last year for e.g. Gresham and another player. A salary of around $850 I think they said, should get us tier one, which would be similar to an end of first round pick anyway, if we finish in the top four (after finals).

I would certainly like to retain Hayward if we can, but it wouldn't be so disastrous if we lost him. The loss wouldn't be in the class of losing Aliir or Dawson, just for comparison. Perhaps he will have to be let go to give us the cap space for McDonald and Chad.

We have plenty of depth in all positions now, so opening up a senior spot wouldn't hurt, even at the loss of a good player. The big surprise this year has been the turnaround in our KPP depth. Snell has been a revelation. He's already ahead of Melican and Aliir at the same stage, and might be ready for senior footy as early as next season. And Will Edwards has all the tools, and just needs to play the position better, something he should be able to learn in short order, one would think.

Just a few suggestions on how we would replace Hayward:
    • Bring in Konstanty. Not that different in the roles they can play.
    • Move Roberts to the forward line. He's not quick like Hayward, but is a better decision maker and field kick, at similar stages of development.
    • Bring in Campbell in a straight swap. Probably an improvement in quality, plus the addition of having a better kick.
    • Rotate a midfielder, p[particularly one of the older ones, like Parker or Adams to fill the role for a couple of years until a more obvious replacement becomes evident.

Something I learned from the loss of Aliir and Dawson was how even big player losses can be remedied quickly by some good list management decisions. It also helps that we've made such a big improvement in the past year in the quality of our depth across the ground.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536