Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Rnd 8 vs GWS at the SCG on Saturday May 4th at 1:45pm 2024.

Luke Parker BOG, last time we played at Optus

Amartey 6 poss and 0 goals

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    I just don't get the obsession with changing a winning side.
    We are the most heavily scoring team in the competition, sitting on top of the ladder with an excellent percentage. So lets muck around with the forward structure???
    I get that Amartey is the least effective of the big 3, but to retain our very effective structure you would want to replace him with the tall who is kicking all the goals in the 2's - so Hamling? Or you bring in the best small, but unfortunately Lugsdin hasn't been drafted yet. Or you go like an All-Australian selector and shove in an extra midfielder. None of those options appeal to me.
    I do like the idea of Geelong-style rotations, and two six day breaks and a flight to Perth might be the time to consider it, but I would be happy if the big news on Thursday night is No Change.

Yeah, there WILL be a change this week, but I wouldn't be surprised if Francis for McCartin is the only change. Jackson, Treacy and Amiss are all big boys, so I would prefer another big body to support Melican.
    Agree. Ridiculous to suggest big changes to a side sitting on top of the ladder. Team unit has been outstanding linking with all players and the roles they play.

I would go:

Parker in for McCartin (Fox to play down back). Wicks to start as sub.

Im not talking wholesale changes

I believe others should be in front of some, not saying that all needs to happen every week.

They have a million stats and a thousand individual markers, if we are only using the Final Score to pick a side then i think that is ridiculous

Amarteys season is 5 touches, 2 marks and 1 tackle, i wouldnt be rewarding that.

Even Wicks having a quiet game, give someone else a go.

Set a standard that in a winning side and with a healthy list there is pressure to perform every week

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Doesnt that prove my point ?
    I had to reread what you wrote a few times, but I believe you are saying we’d be better if Parker played.

I’m argue that the evidence from Saturday was that we were better than I can remember without LP and with JA in the side.

I think you’ve every right to question the composition of the team and JA, SW place in it. It’s just I think the club has other KPIs than disposals, marks, tackles etc. Jordon is a case in point, sacrificing his game to nullify Whitfield. I think most of our FWDs including Wicks, Hayward (who is a regular whipping boy on here), and Amartey play their roles pretty well.

BTW we are the highest scoring club in the AFL and inflicted the second highest score on GWS and highest when Sam Taylor’s been playing.

Unless Amartey is injured he isn't going anywhere. Neither is Wicks. Parker will be back probably taking the place of McCartin.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Unless Amartey is injured he isn't going anywhere. Neither is Wicks. Parker will be back probably taking the place of McCartin.
    Given that its going to be raining you are probably right, who do you have as sub ?

In regards to Amartey I believe he holds his spot for 3 reasons:

1, Its part of structure to play 3 Talls
    2, he's kicked goals
    3, there is no one else knocking down the door yet

things will only change when one or two of the above change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dow View Post
    Given that its going to be raining you are probably right, who do you have as sub ?

In regards to Amartey I believe he holds his spot for 3 reasons:

1, Its part of structure to play 3 Talls
    2, he's kicked goals
    3, there is no one else knocking down the door yet

things will only change when one or two of the above change.
    Agreed- his stats are not great but he is part of the forward structure so he plays a role, Same with Wicks, as I’ve been a constant critic, he has played his part in the team. So at this stage the only change, barring injuries we don’t know of, should be Parks for Tom with Robbie playing down back. Pick the sub on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

BTW we are the highest scoring club in the AFL and inflicted the second highest score on GWS and highest when Sam Taylor’s been playing.
    Geelong have Omitted nearly 10 and Managed over 10 and sit second on the Ladder with the same amount of wins.

If your not playing well your spot is available, if you are playing well in 2s you get your chance.

Also helps when you can happily replace a regular like Holmes for a GF as you have trusted depth vs playing Sam Reid in a GF as you dont trust the next level.

Horse doesn’t like to mess with a winning team or rest in form players. So he’s much more likely to stick with players after a down game than drop them.

The 2022 GF certainly supports having more depth and not playing injured players. Although I think teams probably go into GF with many banged up players.

I’d like to see how the next couple of seasons play out before deciding which model works best.

Its confirmed, We have played the least players from our squad in the comp and have the most play all the games.

Article on Zero Hanger

Senior Player
    Great news. Team combining brilliantly and the runs are on the board.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567