Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 List Management

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Id say a bit more will get him over the line, probably just over 600. Based on cap increases that is a decent deal.

No point looking at both of them offers together, everyone that has signed this year has left decent money on the table.

In fact anyone that has ever stayed anywhere has more than likely left a fair bit out there
    Yep, it's almost always* more expensive to get a player out of another club, than to retain that player. Especially if it means moving city.

Some fans think somehow their club will be immune to this tendancy. It's just not likely that we will make out like bandits if Haywood goes, and then pay peanuts to get a like-for-like replacement medium forward.

The player agents and commentators are understandably keen on players changing clubs for their own benefit.

* The going home factor, the can't get a game, and the last chance for a premiership being possible exceptions.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 14th May 2024 at 03:24 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Yes, I noticed that. Credit to him that he is playing so well and remains so well connected with his team-mates. He's never played better.
    Yes his last 2 games have been very good. But history tells us that he plays about one good game in every 3 despite his obvious ability.

Senior Player
    I like Hayward and would he prefer he stay at lower dollars for us.

But if he goes, we could put Jordon in his role (Parker is a good mark, but doesn’t have the speed), which also creates a spot for others in our team..

We have Mills, Parker and Ladhams not in the team, plus Sheldrick, Campbell Edwards, Konstanty, Cleary and Snell who all could be in our first 22 in the next 1-3 years.

We have a lot of depth in our team (except experienced key position players), and losing Hayward won’t hurt as much as losing Aliir, Dawson or Hewitt.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Channel 9 reported tonight that Adelaide have offered Hayward 6 years at $850,000 a year! They said we have offered $550,000. Who knows if that is true. But if it is, that is a huge difference.
    I don't doubt that's what Adelaide (and maybe others) are offering. I do doubt we're that low on him; more likely $650,000 in context of the new cap.

Either way, if Wilbur stays, he'll be leaving $1 million bucks on the table.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    I don't doubt that's what Adelaide (and maybe others) are offering. I do doubt we're that low on him; more likely $650,000 in context of the new cap.

If that is over 5 years and you deduct management fee and tax it is about 6.5k a month difference on my maths. If you split the difference (ie improve Swans $) you probably don’t leave for extra 3k a month.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post

Yeah, I find it hard to believe we're only offering $550k pa (and a shorter term deal) unless we don't actually want to retain him.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Yeah, I find it hard to believe we're only offering $550k pa (and a shorter term deal) unless we don't actually want to retain him.
    And we want to. He doesn't get the only and ultimate say on these things (and nor should he, for good reason), but Horse freakin loves him.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    How do the Swans rate Hayward compared to Ollie?

Florent signed for five years, and I think most would say he is a better player. So four years at a little less than what Ollie got (say $50K a year) seems a reasonable offer to me.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    How do the Swans rate Hayward compared to Ollie?

Florent signed for five years, and I think most would say he is a better player. So four years at a little less than what Ollie got (say $50K a year) seems a reasonable offer to me.
    I don't think Ollie is a better player. I don't want to guess what "most" would think.

I reckon they are of very similar value to the team - hard working and durable. However I think there are more Ollie-type players in the competition than Will-type players. So we would have found it easier to slot someone else into Ollie's role had he left than we will if Will leaves. We might already have players on our list who could have replaced Ollie. I doubt we have anyone who could come in and exactly replace Will, though I guess, in the forward line, clubs create roles to suit what they have.

Ollie said he doesn't know what offers his manager fielded from other clubs because he didn't want to leave. We do know (to the extent that we can take the media at face value) that Will has received long-term offers at considerably more than I suspect we've recontracted Ollie for. And if Ollie's manager had received offers in that vicinity, I suspect he would have made sure Ollie was aware of them.

I think the offers Will is receiving reflect that the rest of the competition sees Will as playing a role that is hard to fill, and playing it consistently and to a good standard.

Whilst I would love to see Hayward staying, I would not begrudge him in getting the best deal for himself and as such the club receiving the best compensation pick. In this regards the higher the deal for Hayward the better the pick for the club.
    Notwithstanding this I hope that the club soon locks in a deal for Logan McDonald as he is very critical for our future.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Whilst I would love to see Hayward staying, I would not begrudge him in getting the best deal for himself and as such the club receiving the best compensation pick. In this regards the higher the deal for Hayward the better the pick for the club.
    Notwithstanding this I hope that the club soon locks in a deal for Logan McDonald as he is very critical for our future.
    The funniest part if Wilbur leaves for an $850K contract with Adelaide will be he's on $200K a year more than Dawson, who's their best player and captain.

Id say Dawson has hit a few incentives and recieves a fair bit of the ASA Payments.