Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 List Management

If I are Carlton

Would u rather Parker was opposing u or Wicks ?

If I were North I would be targeting Fox. Mature, experienced, versatile, and not getting enough love from his current team.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    In the pregame coverage on Fox, Jon Ralph is reporting we’re now extremely confident Hayward will stay - partly based on comments from Leon Cameron that the club, Hayward and his manager are now working to get the deal done.

Ralph suggested it’s now a five year deal, and somewhere between $600k and $700k. He also implied it may not be that far off being done.

If so, great news and good on Hayward for leaving so much money on the table like some of our other recent re-signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    If I are Carlton

Would u rather Parker was opposing u or Wicks ?
    Exactly my thoughts

Parker is a threat, Wicks has been better but he isnt Parker.

If Fox is on the field and Blakey has to help defend the talls, id play Campbell ahead of Harry for run.

Wicks is a pressure forward. That’s one thing I’d say Parker has limited capability to do, given how slow he is.

Veterans List
    Is this the List Management thread? Or the what do we do with Parker thread?

What type of players do we need to be thinking of in the ND?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

I suspect we'll take academy player, Joel Cochran, who is settling into a key defender role, after previously playing forward and midfield. Unless he has a really eye catching Allies campaign, I think he's more likely to be taken in the 20-40 range, so we probably won't have to match a high bid.

We currently have picks 18, 19 and 56. Pick 56 isn't enough to match a bid in the twenties, so pick 19 might have to be split. So, that would probably rule out using pick 18 on a KPD. Might also match a bid on inside mid, Joe Harrison, but I suspect that would come later in the draft and probably wouldn't rule out taking an inside mid earlier in the draft.

So, really just best available player, with the possible exception of a KPD, and if Grundy, Ladhams, McAndrew and Green are all still on the list, you probably wouldn't take a ruckman with your first pick two years in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

It's amazing what one year can do. There's been such a turnaround in the depth of the squad, especially at key defender, where we had a primary weakness.

• Melican is playing well and has the best run without injury or quite some time. Let's hope he keeps it up.
    • Francis is still only 26 and looks to be developing into a solid enough player, although perhaps not what we would prefer as our first choice.
    • Hamling was quite a good defender before injury interrupted his career. But he looks good in the VFL and very capable of filling in in needed.
    • As for the future, Snell looks a winner. He's tracking so well for a first year player.
    • Will Edwards has all the tools and would be nice to have in our backline with his extra height and pace. He just needs to learn to play the position better, as he's often beaten in one on one contests.
    • Harry Arnold finished the season off well last year, but as we know, he's been injured this year. He should return in a few weeks and we will see how he goes.
    • As deja noted, Joel Cochran is a likely ND pick that will be matched.

So we've gone from a weakness to so much depth at key defender, where it's going to be hard to keep everyone. Not at all sure how it sorts out after the season ends.

We are also looking strong at ruck with the additions of Grundy and Green. I think we are strong enough at ruck where we can trade Ladhams, whose future at senior level looks bleak unless Grundy gets injured.

We don't have any specific needs, but it would be nice to add a bit of height, and a tall utility, someone around 190 cm who is strong in the air, would be a good addition to the current list. We usually go into games as the shorter team, and sometimes get exposed for height, especially in defence.

It's worth noting that Will Green is very athletic and has good skills. He could play as a key defender, but expect he will just progress to the 2nd ruck role and eventually take over for Grundy.

Senior Player
    Re deja’s post about our draft picks.

We could trade 18, 19 and 56 through multiple trades to get us something like 14, 35 and 43.

14 with FS and academy matching would still give us about pick 16 or 17. JVR was a pick 18 and Goater was a pick 20. We would then be able to match a bid on Cochran and still get a late second round or early third round pick.

So we could still get a key position with our first pick.

But at the moment, I think we have more pressing need for an upgrade on Wicks, and Papley successor in 5-6 years, as Konstanty hasn’t progressed as quickly as we would have hoped.

Or even a McCartin type pick in the 30s that we see as a future defender rather than a FF or CHF

Ps - I like the way Snell moves and closes in his opposite number…..he can kick fairly well also with that trusty left foot. Quite well for an 18yr old tall defender. He is my smokey “AJ” year 1 / year 2 sneak into the top team.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Or even a McCartin type pick in the 30s that we see as a future defender rather than a FF or CHF

Ps - I like the way Snell moves and closes in his opposite number…..he can kick fairly well also with that trusty left foot. Quite well for an 18yr old tall defender. He is my smokey “AJ” year 1 / year 2 sneak into the top team.
    I couldn't agree more with you, I really rate him and I have also been thinking how we could sneak him in for a debut.

Veterans List
    Kevin Sheehan the AFL U18 guru did thumbnails in the Murdoch press on all the likely non Vic draftees

Joel Cochran 195cm, 'A super athletic and versatile midfielder or defender'

Joe Harrison 182cm, 'An inside midfielder with great decision making and possesses a good burst of speed. Can push forward and be dangerous'

Sound a couple of likely types.

Hopefully we can use our two end of first round picks before having to match academy bids. Suspect we'll trade in the picks needed in exchange for 2025 picks. I wonder if the AFL will adjust the bid matching rules and points table for this draft or make the changes to start in 2025? Vic clubs will squeal about Ashcroft and Lombard to the two Queensland clubs if they are again matched with junk picks! Not sure if they squealed as loudly about JUH, Daicos and Darcy though??