Page 42 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 VFL discussion thread

Clark provides valuable depth and could easily come in and do a role if we lose a first choice midfielder to injury. To me, he is the best amongst that group of mature players rom other teams that we brought in over the last few years and have mainly played reserves (obviously I'm not including Hickey in that group).

I think Ling is facing delisting unfortunately. He has half a season left to turn his fortunes around. Another facing delisting is Ronke who has had little chance to impress this season due to injury. Gray, Taylor Brand and Armetey are also looking dicey although I don't know their contract situation. Of that group, they may keep Armetey based on potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I'm not sold on Clarke. He gets the pill, but his disposal is terrible IMO. Maybe I've the blinkers on and need to be a bit more open-minded.
    He doesn't have to be good at everything to get in the bests. If was good at everything he'd be playing senior footy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I think Ling is facing delisting unfortunately. He has half a season left to turn his fortunes around. Another facing delisting is Ronke who has had little chance to impress this season due to injury. Gray, Taylor Brand and Armetey are also looking dicey although I don't know their contract situation. Of that group, they may keep Armetey based on potential.
    I'm not giving up on Ling yet. There are a number of players we delist before him. So I think he's likely to be retained - but it depends on how many new players we want to bring in to the club (and, therefore, how much space we need to clear).

Agree, it's not looking good for Ronke. What is the story with him? Is he injured? Can we add him to LTIL and recruit a 2nd player at the mid-season draft?
    Gray is a goner. I would delist Amartey too.
    Taylor is contracted for next season.
    Brand could be cut, depending on who we recruit.
    Naismith has to play out the season without serious injury to be retained.
    I'm ready to retire Sinclair, so that's another space freed without cutting Ling.
    BOC is an experiment who seems worth persevering with.

Fringe players who I'd put in front of Ling: COR, Fox, Gould, Bell. I'm also wanting to retain Sheather and Carruthers as promising rookies. Clarke I'm not sure about. So, there are at 4-7 players I would cut before Ling.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    After last weekends game against the Pies, I reckon their may be hope for Amarty - very impressed.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

This article has Clarke as one of the VFL players of round 5. It also has extended highlights of our game.

VFL players of round five

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    After last weekends game against the Pies, I reckon their may be hope for Amarty - very impressed.
    I haven't watched yet. Apologies.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Best game I've seen from Joel Amartey. Lots of marks and very lively up forward.
    I still haven't found time to watch the match but I did look at the 'mini-match' highlights and also the highlight package for Amartey. Amartey's second goal was pretty good, and the 'mark' that wasn't paid late in the game was also impressive. He also seemed to get into good positions, so that he received the ball in dangerous spots. However, I'm still not convinced about him. Despite his ability to accelerate, he lumbers around the ground and doesn't appear to have built a tank. Also don't see a lot of evidence of him imposing himself physically or looking fiercely competitive. Is watching the whole match likely to change my mind? I know you weren't the only one to talk up his performance in this match.

- - - Updated - - -

Conversely, how good was Logan's goal! Impressive snap around the body that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Clark provides valuable depth and could easily come in and do a role if we lose a first choice midfielder to injury. To me, he is the best amongst that group of mature players rom other teams that we brought in over the last few years and have mainly played reserves (obviously I'm not including Hickey in that group).

I'm not so sure about Ronke. As a small tackling forward his skill set is a bit underdone at the swans. Wicks and Bell are the only other defensive forwards. The swans are seeing how valuable it is to hold the ball inside 50 and smother the opposition. Gulden is more attacking, and probably destined for the mids. If Ronke gets cut I think it will probably be for medical resilience reasons.

AFL Draft 2021 Chris Doerre Knightmare's - mid-season draft top 10 Power Rankings (espn.com.au)

Mid-season draft is just two weeks away today. In this preview, Schlensog, and possibly Avery, catch the eye although I've never heard of them before.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I would delist Amartey
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I still haven't found time to watch the match but I did look at the 'mini-match' highlights and also the highlight package for Amartey. Amartey's second goal was pretty good, and the 'mark' that wasn't paid late in the game was also impressive. He also seemed to get into good positions, so that he received the ball in dangerous spots. However, I'm still not convinced about him. Despite his ability to accelerate, he lumbers around the ground and doesn't appear to have built a tank. Also don't see a lot of evidence of him imposing himself physically or looking fiercely competitive. Is watching the whole match likely to change my mind? I know you weren't the only one to talk up his performance in this match.
    I might have to eat my words, it sounds like Amartey might get (and even deserve) another contract: VFL Coaches Corner: Round 5 (sydneyswans.com.au). According to the club's media "Joel Amartey continued his blistering form of 2021"; and according to Laidler: "Joel has taken his game to a new level and has been really consistent in his contest work and getting to as many contests as he can as a big key forward. When he goes into the ruck, he is having a real presence at stoppages and then at ground level so he has been a threat at both forward and ruck, in the air and on the ground."

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I'm not so sure about Ronke. As a small tackling forward his skill set is a bit underdone at the swans. Wicks and Bell are the only other defensive forwards. The swans are seeing how valuable it is to hold the ball inside 50 and smother the opposition. Gulden is more attacking, and probably destined for the mids. If Ronke gets cut I think it will probably be for medical resilience reasons.
    Wicks, Bell and Ronke all started out as goal kicking forwards, and with midfield aspirations as well. I would say Wicks came with the best defensive mindset, but the others have been trained to focus on their defensive side of their games.

Because of injuries, it's hard to say where Ronke stands on our list until we get to see him play a bit. At a minimum, he needs to play injury free for the rest of the season. Then we can reassess his place at the club.

Veterans List
    Has this thread drifted off into list management?

Disappointed with Laidler's feedback on the VFL team's match against Collingwood. Too much about few, too little about the rest. It doesn't do much for the rest of the players who played well, such as Stephens and Gould just to mention two. It seems naive and not good to build morale. Clarke deserves recognition for his performance but what was written is going overboard!!!! in my eyes.