Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodes going to South Africa in Feb

I'm sure your begrudging attitude will upset him deeply.
    Ar aghaidh chun bua 2007!

Living in 2005
    Originally posted by Charlie
    Yes we can.

External interests are all well and good, but there's a right time and a wrong time. February is the wrong time. I expect the players to be working their butt off to be ready for round one in February. Not chaperoning a bunch of teenagers on an overseas trip.
    Yep agree, just because it is a nice idea, doesn't make it 'right'.

He should be here preparing for the season. These type of trips should be carried out in October IMO.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    The timing may be inconvenient, but this triop seems far more likely to boost the development of the game overseas than the holiday to LA.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Just in: The trip has been extended to Zimbabwe.

Originally posted by Sanecow
    Just in: The trip has been extended to Zimbabwe.
    ...and Mugabe is going to umpire the matches.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Originally posted by goswannie14
    ...and Mugabe is going to umpire the matches.
    Some years ago (when things were more stable) I took a holiday to Zimababwe.

The flight over was uneventful but after landing at Harare there was an announcement: We would not be able to disembark for a while.

The reason: Mugabe was due to land on his official jet and for "security reasons" we mere tourists couldn't share the same airport with him.

Two hours later we eventually got off the plane. Believe me, being on a plane on the ground in the tropics for two hours with no adequate airconditioning is not fun.

For a nation that even then had an economy that was in tatters and was desperate for foreign revenue it was a act of supreme arrogance. But that's Mugabe! Adolf would have loved him.
    Last edited by j s; 19th January 2006 at 12:55 PM.

On the Rookie List
    Yes we can.

External interests are all well and good, but there's a right time and a wrong time. February is the wrong time. I expect the players to be working their butt off to be ready for round one in February. Not chaperoning a bunch of teenagers on an overseas trip.
    I hope that you will be as dedicated to your future employers' cause as you expect the players to be.
    I feel fairly confident that the club would not have sanctioned this trip had they thought it would be detrimental to Adam's pre-season preparation.

Originally posted by AussieAnge
    I hope that you will be as dedicated to your future employers' cause as you expect the players to be.
    I feel fairly confident that the club would not have sanctioned this trip had they thought it would be detrimental to Adam's pre-season preparation.
    I'm quite sure you're right. Unlike some here, however, I don't happen to believe that I should agree with something simply because the club does. I'm also quite sure that AFL players know and should accept that their occupation requires dedication to the cause beyond that of a typical employer/employee relationship.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

Blog Entries
    Goodes (or any player) is not answerable to the fans. He answers to the club. If the club have approved the trip (and I expect that he would have had to have taken leave etc, that if he were to just up and go he would be breaching his employment agreement) then what is there to complain about?

Originally posted by ROK Lobster
    Goodes (or any player) is not answerable to the fans. He answers to the club. If the club have approved the trip (and I expect that he would have had to have taken leave etc, that if he were to just up and go he would be breaching his employment agreement) then what is there to complain about?
    I'm not expecting him to answer to us. However, last time I checked this was a discussion forum. If any discussion was rendered irrelevant simply because the club has already made their decision, this would be a pretty quiet place.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

Blog Entries
    I'm not expecting him to answer to us.

There is nothing contradictory between those two posts. Perhaps the part of my post that you elected not to quote was inconvenient for you.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast