Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brisbane can, why can't we?

Brisbane can, why can't we?

Brisbane are going to be using a Fitzroy style jumper in all of their Melbourne based games this season, Lions to re-invent traditional guernsey. I know it has been done to death on here, but wouldn't it be nice to see the Swans do that too?
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Brisbane are going to be using a Fitzroy style jumper in all of their Melbourne based games this season, Lions to re-invent traditional guernsey. I know it has been done to death on here, but wouldn't it be nice to see the Swans do that too?
    As a Sydney based supporter who never supported South Melbourne I think it would be a great idea.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Love the idea - and this is from someone who wouldn't be able to find South Melbourne with a UBD and a Navman.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    Maybe the difference is that Brisbane is a merged club. Sydney is not. It is the same club in a different place. It would be like Hawthorn wearing a 1980's jumper in Tasmania. That said, it is not something I would have a problem with, just a possible explanation.

The traditional South jumper is ten times better than the current Sydney Swans jumper with its kitsch Opera House logo.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

There's still a strong South Melbourne support base, I can't see why not.
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - great idea, let's do it.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ROK Lobster View Post
    Maybe the difference is that Brisbane is a merged club. Sydney is not. It is the same club in a different place. It would be like Hawthorn wearing a 1980's jumper in Tasmania. That said, it is not something I would have a problem with, just a possible explanation.
    Therefore Brisbane are only partially Fitzroy, whereas Sydney, was wholly South Melbourne.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    How about jumper clashes - possibly with North and Geelong ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Therefore Brisbane are only partially Fitzroy, whereas Sydney, was wholly South Melbourne.
    And hence, we are the same club as we have always been, and there is only one club jumper. The Lions, on the other hand, are 2 clubs merged into one, so it makes some sense to use both jumpers from time to time.

A retrograde step

You would have to question why The Lions are reviving the old Fitzroy strip.

In my opinion, they are trying to resuscitate the interest of former Fitzroy fans who've deserted the club (I met a very famous Fitzroy supporter a few weeks ago who's no longer interested in the game). We don't have that problem with Melbourne fans for the moment.

The key question for the club is the effect on perceptions of the "Sydney Swans" brand in Sydney. To me, resurrecting the old South Melbourne strip for all Melbourne games is a retrograde step, and a mistake. It would only re-inforce the Melbourne-centric image that AFL has in Sydney, which is a key barrier to development of the code up here.

The issue here is identity and consistency. Different strips only reinforce different identities. The exception is Heritage Round, where the old South Melbourne strip is naturally relevant.

The South Melbourne Swans are history. It's the Sydney Swans - forever.

I don't like this idea.

OK on the odd occasion.

Personally I prefer the current jumper and I feel no need to go off on some pseudo nostalgia trip.

I would suggest that the club has a plethora of reasons why not to use the old jumper and they'd be all pretty much valid.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast