Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reserves v Queanbeyan

Veteran Site Admin
    On White, they would have wanted to make the call early in the week on Pyke for his debut, given the need to fly his family from Canada, rather than just up from Melbourne. So if there was any question mark over whether Jesse would be right, seems logical they decided not to risk him.

Was quite an impressive victory in the end. After the third quarter you could only wonder "Tigers by how much?" But they dug deep, just held on enough in the midfield, lifted intensity in defence and made the most of their forward opportunities.

A couple of years ago, when the Swans were at their ruthless best, they were often just good in the first half, and then murdered the opposition in the second half when their superior fitness came into play. At the moment, the pattern looks to be the opposite. With half the team comprising skinny 17 year olds, it was apparent today - and two weeks ago - that while they can put their tiny bodies on the line for some of the game, by the end it looks to be getting too hard. Swans were just outmuscled in the middle in the 3rd quarter, in particular, with some of the top-ups just not able to compete at ground level on a deceptively greasy and heavy track.

As for the Swans players...

Currie - got more time in the ruck and looks like he is building his fitness nicely for a senior debut in the not too distant future. Was purposeful when up forward, and although he wasn't marking at will as he was two weeks ago, he got to the right spot often enough.

Laidlaw - quiet in the first half (with the proviso that I missed the first 10 minutes, when I think he kicked one of his goals) but pretty decent second half, mostly as a forward. Missed a couple of 70% set shots (ie the kind he should get 7 times out of 10, or so) but kicked one nice crumbing goal and took some good marks.

Gilchrist - I like this kid. A lot. Did what he's done the last 3 times I've seen him play, which is show a lot of dash, courage in the contest when it is needed, and kick with poise and penetration. Just needs some bulk and he will play senior football.

White - not bad. Seemed a bit subdued at times - maybe the result of the illness? And missed a couple of gettable shots (70%ers!). But used his brain well at times. My favourite play of the day was a goal to Currie that started with a contest on the Swans' defensive wing. Kick went to Powell, who didn't show enough endeavour to try and mark it on the full. Instead, let the ball bounce and come to him. Laidlaw made up ground, Powell ducked his head into Laidlaw's chest looking for a free, didn't get it, was beaten on the ground by Laidlaw who got the ball out to Gilchrist. He found Barlow, who just made enough ground on the chasing Tiger and kicked long to a forward line contest. White nearly marked but didn't quite, held his feet, gathered the ball in and although off balance, looked like he was thinking of taking a ping at the goals. Instead, he had the presence of mind to handball to Currie, who was able to lope into an open goal.

Barlow- probably BOG for me. Still has a tendancy to look like he is loping when he could be going harder, but I suspect it's just the way he moves. Got to the right place lots of times and used the ball with plenty of purpose.

Crouch - looked short of a gallop to me. There were times when his pace would have been useful in creating some much needed space but wasn't really able to deliver. I reckon he needs at least another week in the twos before he comes into consideration for a senior recall.

Smith - steady, and at times quite influential. One of the best out of the middle, and unlike a couple of his senior listed team-mates, at least when he kicks the ball it is generally to a team mate. Kicked a pearler of a long snapped goal that Nick Davis or McVeigh would have been proud of.

DOK - hummm. As Ugg has already mentioned, a backwards step after some recent encouraging form. I thought he was a little insipid / flabby at contests, and while his field kicking was pretty good, he had three dreadful shots at goal. One, in the first half, he'd done all the hard work, run hard to receive and create space and time for himself to settle and take a shot on the run, and then let loose with a lazy curler from about 30m out that was lucky to scrape through for a behind.

He wasn't as bad as O'Dwyer or Brabazon, mind. I can't actually recall either of these two actually kicking the ball to a team mate. I'm disappointed, particularly, in MOD who last season looked to have improved his kicking significantly. Now it has gone backwards to beyond where it was in 2007. Half the time the pair of them don't seem to even bother aiming at a Swan. They just lope a bit, drop the ball on the boot and punt it wildly. Despite Braba being named as an emergency in recent weeks, I can't see any hope of senior football for either in the forseeable future, with Barlow way ahead of them, Smith and Laidlaw working their way to fitness, Crouch back and hopefully Vez and Schmidt only a few weeks away from resuming.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Brabazon - in the Swans bests apparently, but what do I know?
    DOK - shirked a few contests and the Tigers were quick to let him know about him. He's definitely not a defender, so perhaps it's time to try something different.

Anyone know what happened to Nathan Gordon, can't recall seeing him after the 1st quarter.

Leo might return next week.

PS. Definitely it's a shortened last quarter, they blew the siren when they taking the ball back to centre after the last goal, 12.20pm on the dot.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I assume by Campbell Heath, you mean #35 who was Josh Nesbitt, who has played as a top up a few times. He had some good passages of play, has a bit of swagger about him, even thought he is only of a slight build.

#53 (Schoular according to the scoreboard) who played on Armstrong, held his own in the first half but eventually couldn't match the physicality.

Match results (incomplete team list and goalkickers surprise surprise )

Match Results
    Yep it must be Josh Nesbitt, I thought he had a few good moves.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I worry about Braba and MOD. Can't see much difference from last year. Nick Smith is improving. DOK had a few good moments.

Isn't Nathan a scholarship lad? Would imagine he wouldn't be available all the time, although he also may be a bit broken at present. Anyone else know?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thank you Ugg, Liz and others. Love hearing what's what with the twos. Especially when it sounds as encouraging (on the whole) as this did.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Last edited by ugg; 4th May 2009 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post

In one of those great photos..thanks Jeffers.there is one of MOD's kicking action. To my eye it looks as though he is dropping the ball from too high ..but what would I know.?
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Thanks for the pics Jeffers, professional as always.

Was in Sydney over the weekend and caught the second half of the reserves.

Completely agree with liz and ugg, in regard to Brabazon and O'Dwyer's disposal - absolutely disgraceful. Sounds like it's a trend with these two and obviously showing little signs of improvement. You'd have to think that both will struggle to retain their spots on the list next year.

Eddie looked a class above them to be honest.

White was good, have to be a good chance to be recalled this week.

I really liked Currie's work. If he stays sound over the next few weeks, I think he'll make his debut pretty shortly.

Laidlaw did a few classy things but probably didn't do enough.

I thought DOK was a little better than a few others did - definitely the best I've ever seen him play but I haven't seen his other games this year.

Big fan of Taylor Gilchrist - kicked a couple of cracking goals.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123