Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Skilton Medal Night - Spoilers

How could I forget, Cynthia Banham was at the Event, and so was the gentleman whos name I have forgotten, who was a survivor of the 9/11 attack, and the only Australian at present living in Australia who was involved and survived. It was the 11/9 (Australian calender) anniversary.

Just thought you would like to know.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Claret View Post
    Is it possible to bet on Club B&F's?

Gary Lyon let it slip at 7.12pm last night on MMM that ROK had won the Sydney Best and Fairest ahead of Shaw. The other guys were giving it to him for the next 5 minutes - you probably had to be there (or at least hear it) but it was very very funny.
    I wouldn't think so - club voting systems wouldn't have the necessary security processes in place to satisfy betting requirements. Too much risk of insider betting.

Presumably the media gets told before the evening starts so they can write their articles, prepare reports etc but are not supposed to make it public till later. GL was obviously a bit naughty

I won't try to match Primmy's eloquent description of the night suffice to say that it was spot on. Well done Primmy!

It was a wonderful night with tears and laughter being shared in equal doses throughout the evening.

A personal highlight for me was shaking Magic's hand and getting a photo. For that matter all the players were wonderful and accomodating with all the fans that approached them.

It's nights like these that reconfirm why we love this club.

Now I just have to go and do something about this hangover.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    The whole night was like being in the middle of a theatrical performance. Different from previous years but it had its own mark.

Just as a bit of entertainment for those of you who were unable to make it.

. The setup was so well thought out. Red, with red lights, red curtains, stands of red gladdy's dotted about (and moved by request when the humungous screens were in play), and the table flowers this year were different. Bunches of red flowers for the tables, not the same on each one.

. The wine was oh so good, and the waite staff extremely enthusiastic about filling your glass and replacing the bottles! Even the water jugs were replenished without being asked.

. Menu - delectable crab mouse on the best collection of little bits I can remember - veal nut with asparagus, dutch carrots and a semolina thingy - fruit flan thingy.

. The inspired choice of Adam Spencer as MC kept the guys performing at their best in front of the microphone. A man born to the job.

. Entertaining moment with Jesse being unable to get himself into his suit coat with any degree of competency. He speaks well.

. Nick Smiff seemed a bit stunned to be up on stage, and not used to the limelight yet.

. Reg is never going to be a entertainer, but he is solid and I think pretty happy with his 'most improved' status.

. Adam Goodes as Players Player was very well received. He is a fine speaker, I see corporate or politics in the future. He has grown into his Club Captain status very well, and I withdraw any negative observations I have made in the past. I enjoyed listening to him speak. Like a statesman......am I overstating it? No, don't think so. He is a bit of class.

. They fairwelled Barry Hall, who yes Virginia was there in the sharpest of quality suits. He was met with great affection by everyone, including all the players. His highlights tape was outstanding. He gave us everything and obviously regards us all with great affection. He is a class act and ultimately a gentleman, through and through.

. Fossy was also given a highlights which showed just how much I miss the man. He is still overseas and doesn't touch down until tomorrow! timing Fossy, timing. He must have been on October longweekend expectation.

. Roosy said they were not going to farewell Tadhg, yet......just enough to keep us gossipers high hopes, well, high!

. They highlighted Crouchy's contribution to the club, outside of playing. It was outstanding. Typical Crouchy. Heaps going on behind the scenes that he just gets on with. Apparently he took on the likes of Andrew D (can't remember what that was about - anyone?) !

. Leo is a funny man and a great cuddler. His highlight reel was a truly soaring one. He has great comic timing, like his marking. Had us roaring. He was almost crying. And don't tell me that its just "one week at a time". there are obviously some clubs they just love coming up against...and don't rate.

. Micky is a natural standup comedian, his timing and delivery is so entertaining, no wonder he is held up as the man who lights up the club when he is there. His highlights was frightenly good. Cried. He also made a "marriage proposal" to Emma, which had everyone cheering, but Adam Spencer announced that it wasn't a legal proposal......who cares, they are 'married' and Mick loves her. His view of his world is absolutely wonderful

. Third B&F Brett talked and talked. He is very easy to listen to and to watch. I think he is proud of himself and of us all.

. Second B&F Rhyce Shaw has finally won me over - not just as a player but as a character. "@@@@ Aye!" will probably go down in the annuls of CC Speaches as the making of his speaking career. He then went on to entertain us with his thanks and observations about the people and the Club. If they handed Collingwood back to him on a platter, I doubt he would entertain the notion. The man is a Swan from the inside now, not just the jumper he wears. Also, he is easy to chat to, he and Mal make a terrible twosome together. Oh and he has been voted in to the leadership group.

. At last, Peb, Rhyno, Ryan O'Keefe gets the accolades he deserves. He has also become a father this week, so he was flying and hasn't landed yet, and in 18 years time we have another father/son combo (I checked that with him, and he just beamed). He did the job the coaches asked him to do, and Roosy did say it took him a bit to get used to the new position. We may not have seen/rated everything he was doing, but the coaches did and rated him very highly. Mention was made that he looked to be traded, but that was the end of it the moment it was seen it wasn't going to happen. I don't think he is a natural public speaker, but he was a very very happy man.

. Big NOTE: Mike Pyke polled on I think 3 separate occasions, and above other teammates.....so if the coaches are happy....

After the last speach was made, they let us loose. It was a midnight start, much later than usual, for the photos and cuddles and etc. They are a very happy bunch of boys, some very shy, some boisterous (do I hear any nominations - can you possibly guess who I mean), some who were pretty pleased with themselves last year had different attitudes this year. More aware of what is required to be an elite player, perhaps a little less sure that it was a natural right. Mike Pyke is a surprisingly reserved man. He is also huge. Daniel Hannerbery is a bright spark and no he is not reserved, shy, on the rim. He is right in the mix. No wonder he slotted in so satisfactorily.

In general I found the boys generous, happy, crumpled, soberish and not so sober. It was a good night. And they are a good mob.
    Thanks so much Primmy. Greatly appreciated. Did you notice Ed there and if so sad or happy? I am nervous that he might be given the flick!!

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Thanks so much Primmy. Greatly appreciated. Did you notice Ed there and if so sad or happy? I am nervous that he might be given the flick!!
    Sorry mate, I did not see Ed...and I was looking. Anyone?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Congratulations to ROK, he deserved a B & F and is a champion of this club. Selfishly i?m glad he stayed. I also hope he can take out the big one that is the TLM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midfield View Post
    Congratulations to ROK, he deserved a B & F and is a champion of this club. Selfishly i?m glad he stayed. I also hope he can take out the big one that is the TLM.
    I agree with you, but I think not and it wouldn't be his fault. I think he was doing a job that the coaches appreciated, and that we in general didn't notice as much. I think perhaps Goodsey will be the TLM sentimental favourite. Still waiting with BATed breath.....and I am signing off the for day. Too much computer, not enough kitchen floors etc.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wonder what a reigning club B&F winner could attract at the trade table...
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret View Post
    Is it possible to bet on Club B&F's?

Gary Lyon let it slip at 7.12pm last night on MMM that ROK had won the Sydney Best and Fairest ahead of Shaw. The other guys were giving it to him for the next 5 minutes - you probably had to be there (or at least hear it) but it was very very funny.
    Only before Round 1.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks Primmy - a really good read. And I know it wasn't the main event but I noted the comments about Mighty Mike and was pleased.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

CONGRATULATIONS ROK!!!
    I only support one team: The SYDNEY SWANS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I won't try to match Primmy's eloquent description of the night suffice to say that it was spot on. Well done Primmy!

It was a wonderful night with tears and laughter being shared in equal doses throughout the evening.

A personal highlight for me was shaking Magic's hand and getting a photo. For that matter all the players were wonderful and accomodating with all the fans that approached them.

It's nights like these that reconfirm why we love this club.

Now I just have to go and do something about this hangover.
    Well said both Primmy & Al (who scrubbed up very well too I might add!) .

what a fantastic night - there was alot of love in the room.

It all went off without a hitch and I really enjoyed Richard Colless's dig when Cathy Marney (the cheersquad leader) received a very well deserved life membership. Richy said that we didnt need "some white haired dickhead like Collingwood have" to show our strength and Cathy said that she didnt own a gold sparkly jacket either, needless to say the crowd went wild!

But to all the winners - it was just so special.

Reece Shaw won those hearts that were still a bit undecided - he worked the room well.

We ran a sweep at our table and none of us had chosen Ryan (sorry Rok) so seeing as no one won we are donating our money to the Glenn McGrath foundation.

It was really terrific to catch up with Lovely RWOers, Annie H, Big Al & Go Swannies - sorry Primmy I didnt know where you were - or would know where to start looking - but in your honour I took the arrangement of Gladdy's from my table home. I'm even proud that I didnt lose my shoes this year - unlike 2005.

Got to have a photo with Micky O & Sir Bobby Skilton (who has a fabulous tan) but my absolute fave - and I can safely say that this would have been the very last photo taken at a Swans function - of Barry Hall. Yes Barry & Me out the front of the convention centre heading to the cab rank. had a chat to him and his girlfriend (she's really lovely) wished him luck and off they went into the future. So finally after 8 years I have a photo of me and my fave player who also happens to share the same birthday as me!! And I'm glad the club sent him off with a fitting tribute - so my faith in the club has been restored.

But like Al, am feeling somewhat hungover, but oh so glad that I got the opportunity to attend.

If any of you havent done it before - start saving now - a B & F dinner is a night you wont forget in a hurry.

And I must thank the boys at QBE for inviting me this year, very generous of them and a bloody good time had by all!

I think I might head to Club Swans on grandfinal day.

cheer cheer.
    Last edited by Wardy; 12th September 2009 at 03:54 PM.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast