Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Alrighty its time for your 2010 team rd 1..........if all fit

This is definitely shaping up as an exciting season for the swans (as there certainly are a lot of options now for the coaching staff). I cannot wait for the season to start!

Although I believe we have improved our list during the off-season (Jolly still a big loss) I still don't think we will have the best 22 in the league, but part of the excitement about the swans this year is that they are not expected to make the finals and therefore it is exciting watching them try to make the finals.

I am not convinced about Goodes as a permanent forward (he can get lost up there at times) and hope he still gets a lot of time on the ball.

Our half-back line is the most interesting with plenty of attacking options (however, I am a little worried about our last line of defence should C. Bolton get injured - or be used further up the ground - without him I am not sure that we have a wealth of cool heads in crisis situations down back).

There may even be some pressure on established players by the end of the season (which is probably a good thing). I hope I am wrong to a large degree, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Kirk spent a lot more time on the bench than previous seasons.

On the Rookie List

our22

Although I agree our 22 is not the best in the League I think our 22 has the most chance of any team to become the best 22. I base this statement on a number of facts. Firstly we have a proven coaching team with experience across the board. What we lacked last year has been recruited for and we now have some blinding pace across the centre and some good crumbers,a good ruck combination and goal sneaks that can kick straight. We lost to the Grandfinalists by a small margin last year minus Hall.This years 22 is a better team because of the additions mentioned above. Now to potential.White has awesome potential.Could he be the next Plugger? I really don't know but he is an exciting prospect.Should he fail there is Currie who has shown a bit in trial games. Goodes at CHF is potentially a game winner.He will be a headache for opposition coaches and he responds better to double teaming than Hall who just got angry. So we have big versatile guys in White and Goodes up forward and a lightning quick winger in Jetta and a back line that must be close to the fastest in the league.
    What we need now is patience to let this new Swans team knit and gel. Some players will have to play in Canberra until they get their chance but the hungriest will make it.
    I conclude that this is potentially a team that can go the whole way,although many problems on the way could change this.

Theme when picking the best 22 to start 2010 was maximum flexibility of roles within the context of best players for best positions.

When looking at the below 22 players half of them can play and deserve to play several positions in certain stages of the game and game plan. There appears to be such a dynamic mixture of players compared to years gone past.

All right after the 3rd trial game I have dropped TDL for Rohan to start as Rohan just has to be given the nod despite me stating we need a genuine scrapper up front with goals in him - Rohan or Jetta can still do that and they offer more in other areas.

Still let Bevo start ahead of Hannebery so Hannes can play some midfield and Bevo do the tough in an under to start the game

huge call but LRT to start ahead of Grundy only for LRTs height - there is 7 backs who will be rotated for matchups any given week so Grundy may start 16 plus games anyway just like any of the other guys on the bench when the match up is right. I worry that if Grundy and C.Bolton started most weeks they will have two guys taller and may struggle to match up against quality talls.

F: Bradshaw, White, Rohan
    HF: Bevo, Goodes, McGlynn

Midfield
    McVeigh, Rok, Jack
    Bolton, Kirk, Seaby

HB: Mal, Bolton, Tag
    B: Mattner, LRT, Shaw

Bench:

19. Mumford & Sons
    20. Grundy
    21. Jetta - is a certainty
    22. Hannebery or Kennedy - prefer Hannebery at this stage as McGlynn, Mattner and Shaw can all push into the midfield as needed. Kennedy though may push mcGlynn or Bevan out of the 22 though
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 8th March 2010 at 08:13 AM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Thought There was a rnd 1 team thread....

There's no way to fit all the players in who deserve a spot.

I've decided Jetta is a certainty so that makes 17 certainties.

Everyone has said that Hanneberry must play (those who saw last week's game). Also Roos keeps praising Bevan...so that leaves him in and Rohan out. O'Dwyer must play on form. Moore is better than Jack, so...When you put in the "must play" backs, that is already 7 so no room (gulp) for Smith, even though he is our best small defender, or Richards. Probably a better player than LRT but simply cannot play Key Position.

Have got Kennedy in the ruck....'swat Roosey has been saying.

Backs: C. Bolton Grundy Shaw
    H-Backs: Kennelly LRT Mattner
    Centre: McVeigh J. Bolton Malceski
    H-Forwards: Goodes White O'Keefe
    Forwards: Moore Bradshaw Jetta
    Rucks: Seaby Kirk Kennedy

I/C: Mumford, Bevan, Hanneberry, O'Dwyer

Unlucky: Smith, Richards, Rohan, McGlynn, Jack

Injured: Bird, Vezspremi, Meredith, Thornton, Playfair

Also: Pyke, Currie, Sumner, Dennis-Lane, Heath, Gilchrist

I think the only possible outs would be Bevan, Hanneberry, O'Dwyer, Kennedy, Moore
    The only possible ins are Smith, Richards, Rohan, McGlynn, Jack

So, in my opinion, we are down to 10 players for 5 spots. Roosey was quoted as saying they were down to "26 or 27" guys....so he has my same 27, then.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    There's no way to fit all the players in who deserve a spot.
    I concur wholeheartedly, there's going to be a few disappointed players come round 1
    I've decided Jetta is a certainty so that makes 17 certainties.
    He certainly has attributes that are lacking in most of the midfield candidates - pace and a great eye for goal. I would have him in my team.
    Everyone has said that Hanneberry must play (those who saw last week's game).
    Based on one half of football against a depleted Dons side. I'm a big Hanners fan but I think he is in the mix with a big group of players rather than a guaranteed 'must play'.
    Also Roos keeps praising Bevan...so that leaves him in and Rohan out.
    Agree with this, I think they are fighting for that defensive forward post and Bevan's experience will give him the edge for round 1.
    O'Dwyer must play on form.
    Completely disagree, and I think two factors work against him. We still don't know why he was omitted from the weekend's team. Either form or injury and neither bodes well for him. Having the four half-back flankers in Shaw, Malceski, Kennelly and Mattner makes it impossible to fit him in.
    Moore is better than Jack, so...
    Please explain? Big call and I don't think you'll find many that will agree with that statement. For me, Jack's spot in the team is locked. I can't find a spot for Moore in my team, his contributions have been few and far between.
    When you put in the "must play" backs, that is already 7 so no room (gulp) for Smith, even though he is our best small defender, or Richards. Probably a better player than LRT but simply cannot play Key Position.
    Richards will play, even though it leaves the balance of the team quite awkward. If Bradshaw doesn't make it, I wouldn't be surprised if he is used as a stopgap measure up forward. Last year after settling Grundy down back, Roos tried Richards and LRT up forward at times, to mostly disappointing results, I'm not sure how he is going to handle the 4 talls down back this year.
    Have got Kennedy in the ruck....'swat Roosey has been saying.
    I was disappointed in the two NAB Cup games, mainly because he wasn't spending much time in the middle. A reportedly good performance in the centre in the Dons game has put him back into calculations.

On the Rookie List
    Gee, it is going to be tough to pick the side this year. i would definitley be including Jetta mainly because of the quality of his long kicking. He shot one 60 metres up the wing on saturday night and hit the swans player running away from him perfecty in stride. He just seems to be able to hit targets ten metres further than anyone else.

Everyone has said that Hanneberry must play (those who saw last week's game).
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Based on one half of football against a depleted Dons side. I'm a big Hanners fan but I think he is in the mix with a big group of players rather than a guaranteed 'must play'.
    I was at Saturdays game and the thing that got me excited by Hanners and thinking he will be in for round 1, is that he has taken up from where he left off last year.
    No settling in, straight into it with the same class and quality of last year.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    ... Moore is better than Jack, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Please explain? Big call and I don't think you'll find many that will agree with that statement. For me, Jack's spot in the team is locked. I can't find a spot for Moore in my team, his contributions have been few and far between.
    +1. I have got to agree with this.
    Jack has played every game for the last two seasons, and has played most of the well. He will be in the team for rnd1.
    I think he has a lot more potential than Moore and could well be held in the same regard as McVeigh is now, in a couple of years.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    +1. I have got to agree with this.
    Jack has played every game for the last two seasons, and has played most of the well. He will be in the team for rnd1.
    I think he has a lot more potential than Moore and could well be held in the same regard as McVeigh is now, in a couple of years.
    Jack is an attacking mid fielder and plays his best football when he isn't called on to tag an opponent. With the recruits that have come in we should see Jack allowed the freedom to run and attack.
    Last edited by Big Al; 8th March 2010 at 01:20 PM.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Senior Player
    Good team, Auntie-opposition will dictate a couple of spots- will Roosy play both Jetta and Rohan against seasoned Saints? Richards would be unlucky

yeah its a big call so early................i thought a bout this when making the team and decided the start of the season they should be on the field at different times generally and use them in similar way ie just let them do their thing in attack................apply pressure in defence !

who knows what great coaches say in the transition times for these types of players but keeping it simple will help them express their qualities that we are already growing to love
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    May as well play them both early on - I think Moore will struggle this year-just does not hve tank or speed- save him for a very wet day- not that this happens much these days

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast