Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Get on board - Grundy is the real deal

On the Rookie List
    I am a bit of a Brian Lake fan and I see Reg being our Brian Lake with even more confidence this season and next. Then will come the natural desire to attack and run off those dangerous forwards. Starting with the Tigers this week, there is plenty of scope for Reg to try new things and up his confidence (sans any arrogance).

Imagine how good Dunks would have been if he could kick. I have no idea how he lost his kick. He used to be able to kick and then over the course of a couple of seasons, it was someone's idea that he shouldn't kick...

Then when Dunks did try to kick he was utter rubbish, wobbly stupid things used to flay off his boot.

Supernatural AFL Mysteries and more, stay tuned...
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

Veteran Site Admin
    I still have vivid memories of Reg strutting his stuff with the ressies back in 2005 and 2006. "Strut" is an apt description because he never seemed to move very far or very fast and had a strange flat-footed running motion. He basically stood in the goal square, or if he was feeling energetic, he'd burst out to around 30m out - rarely further. But regardless, he'd just take mark after mark after mark. It didn't seem to matter how badly off balance he seemed to be, or how many defenders he had hanging off him. He just marked the darned thing.

His kicking for goal was generally laconic. He could lace them from tight on the boundary line, and then miss one a few moments later straight in front. It seemed that he knew, even on a quiet day, he'd likely have a dozen or shots on goal so there wasn't much point stressing about whether he potted them or not.

Then there were the blond streaks or tips that would appear one week and then disappear the next. The week before he finally made his senior debut, the streaks were on full view. Quite sensibly, they had disappeared by the time he hit the big stage. They always seemed a bit at odds with how he came across (and still comes across) as a fairly shy, self-effacing kinda lad.

I had significant doubts at that time about his ability to make it at senior level. He wasn't quick, wasn't overly agile, and seemed to be a one trick pony. It was a very effective trick at ACTAFL level but I couldn't see it translating to the elite AFL scene.

I was taken aback by his debut - and I suspect he was too. I doubt he believed he belonged for the first dozen or so senior games he played. And reading between the lines of comments made by Roos and others, I guess he was a little intimidated by playing in a forward line with the Big Bad One, particularly given Reg came into the team around the time when Baz started becoming particularly grumpy and fractious onfield.

Reg's pace, athleticism, concentration and the cleanness of his hands off the deck have all gone through the roof in the past 18 months. And isn't it wonderful to see! For all the oohs and aahs we expend over kids like Hannebery, Jetta, even Vez to a lesser extent, coming in to senior footy and playing from the start as if that is what they were born to do, I think I get even more pleasure watching a Reg gradually emerge from his cocoon into what he is currently displaying. Best of all, I think there is still more improvement to come.
    Last edited by liz; 7th April 2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typo

Nice post, Liz. Over the past few years I have come to enjoy watching the reserves almost as much as the big boys. Watched Reg go up and down, Brabazon come and go, Leo with a spell, Luke Ablett captaining with vigour. Watched Jesse White with great enthusiasm and was thrilled when he made it. Saw Kieran Jack as a skinny young kid with a dazzling smile, Matt O'Dwyer take marks over his head behind his back. Spida in the Reserves with that beautiful flick of his wrist. Waited in vain for Schmidt to return and saw Ben Matthews' last Swans game. Farewelled a limping Fossy and desperately wanted Laidlaw to find a decent hairdresser. The days of the blonde Fluffies. So another one has made it. Congratulations to Reg, and may he stay injury free for the rest of the season.

theres hope for Lewis Johnston yet
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Quality tall defenders are like gold dust in this competition - and with Reg's improvement we've now got four solid ones. It staggers me that the Hawks didn't try to exchange Ben/JK for a Richards or Grundy - how useful would they be right now? And as teams come up against our forward line of White, Goodes, Bradshaw and perhaps a ruckman, they'll be pretty envious of a team that can keep Richards in the ressies.

Interesting to see that Reg is getting plenty of attention from the commentators now - they're generally about 12 months slower than the fans!!

agreed

On the Rookie List
    I was completely wrong about Reg,saw him as slow,fumbling, indecisive and a turn over merchant. Wow! Look at him now! What did the true believers see in him ,you guys were spot on! I am now a big fan of Reg and duly humbled by my mistake.(Also wrong about McVeigh,)

I wasn't a believer either - he was very frustrating to watch (still is from time to time, but is clearly getting better, I find myself applauding his efforts much more now - I used to lament them). As giant said, quality tall defenders are extremely valuable and can really be the foundation towards a quality side. Well done Grundy.

I wonder if 'Bear' is on the bandwagon yet. Definitely his harshest critic.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    I wonder if 'Bear' is on the bandwagon yet. Definitely his harshest critic.
    As is normal with harshest critics, they tend to go into hibernation when their predictions/opinions prove to be astray.

Very fitting....lol
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    As is normal with harshest critics, they tend to go into hibernation when their predictions/opinions prove to be astray.

Very fitting....lol
    29th April 2007 11:16 PM #1 The_Gambler
    View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles

On the Rookie List

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeh fair enough Grundy had a slow start to the season, but has everyone forgot that he came back early from a back injury and was his first hit out since last year!
    I think he is just starting to get his for back with a good 8 goals in the two's.
    Another thing a lot of people have forgotten that he was not drafted to play forward, he was picked up for a backman, so he has done well to change the selectors minds. Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote Blog this Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    30th April 2007 06:18 AM #2 ScottH
    View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact

The Enforcer

Yeh fair enough Grundy had a slow start to the season, but has everyone forgot that he came back early from a back injury and was his first hit out since last year!
    I think he is just starting to get his for back with a good 8 goals in the two's.
    Another thing a lot of people have forgotten that he was not drafted to play forward, he was picked up for a backman, so he has done well to change the selectors minds.
    Umm. No. I think most of us knew he'd been injured after putting in a solid pre season, until struck down by injury. But that doesn't give reason to why he barely sighted the ball in his 3 games so far this year.

If he was still suffering from the injury, he shouldn't be in the seniors.
    In case of emergency, give beer.

For those who think I'm too hard to buy for,
    You obviously don't know where the Beer shop is. Reply Reply With Quote Blog this Post
    30th April 2007 06:36 AM #3 Industrial Fan
    View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes!

That is about the fourth thread he has either started or participated in in favour of grundy.

I'm a big fan of skiddie, but fair dinkum.

WHEN HEATH GRUNDY FIRST MADE THE SWANS LIST I SAID HE IS A BETTER DEFENDER THAN ATTACKER AND PEOPLE JUMPER OVER MY CASE. I THINK HE HAS PROOVEN A LOT OF ALL THE AFL COMMUNITY THAT HE IS AND ACTUALLY 'FOOTBALLER' RATHER THAN ATHLETE.

FROM THE ENTIRE MODBURY HAWKS FOOTBALL CLUB

GRUNDY GRUNDY GRUNDY

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225854291107

Good to see he has established himself
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast