Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the likeliest day for a Swans Final

What is the likeliest day for a Swans Final

I am looking at the first week of finals, and realised that some inconsiderate non football following cousin of mine has put her wedding on the first weekend of finals football.

A Friday night game would be good. A Sunday game would be excellent.

A Saturday afternoon or Saturday night game would, however, be a disaster for me.

Does anyone know how the scheduling gets decided? Obviously it can't be worked out until late on the 29th.....

Pushing for Selection
    the top 4 teams would likely get the friday night and first saturday match to give them the most time off going into the next round.
    so bottom 4 would likely get the saturday night and sunday day match.

On the Rookie List
    Elimination finals in recent years have been held on the sat arvo & sat night I think? The top 4 do battle on a fri night and sun arvo, I could very well be wrong though.

On the Rookie List
    i think you are right msb, also would luv to play Freo again in the first round of finals (out of all the sides from 5-8), would not mind copping them at subi...

Thoughts?

If it's in Sydney, my money would definitely be on a Sat night game. Recent ones I can remember (all on a Sat night):

2004 v Eagles
    2005 v Geelong
    2006 v Freo
    2008 v Kangas

On the Rookie List
    I would say that if the games were on the sat then we would play on the sat night if it were a home final or against freo in perth and on sat arvo if it was against blues or hawks in an away final in melbourne, which would be at etihad I believe.
    Last edited by msb; 16th August 2010 at 05:39 PM.

Add 2003 v Lions on a Sat night

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    If it's in Sydney, my money would definitely be on a Sat night game. Recent ones I can remember (all on a Sat night):

2004 v Eagles
    2005 v Geelong
    2006 v Freo
    2008 v Kangas
    They were Friday night games

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Freo was a Friday night. I remember it clearly because it was a real nightmare for me getting there from work in time for the opening bounce.

Agree with msb, almost sure Geelong was as well.
    Last edited by Triple B; 16th August 2010 at 06:42 PM.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

In regards to the OP, I think it's almost a certainty you'll be disappointed unless Freo and Sydney both win home finals.

If they don't, with 3 finals in Melbourne, they will almost certainly play them on Fri, Sat and Sun, leaving a Freo or Sydney final to be played almost certainly on Sat night if in Sydney. Could go either way if it's in Perth, but will definately be on Sat.

If we are to travel to Melb, you may be lucky and get the Sunday game against Carlton or the Hawks.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Living in 2005
    My feeling is that 7 and 10 will demand they both get 1 qualifying and 1 elimination each and that the qualifyings be at night to maximise the audience, which would leave us with one of the afternoons. They are negotiating the TV rights at the moment for 2012 onwards, so I imagine the networks will get what they want this year.

2005 and 2006 home finals were on a Friday Night (as was our prelim in Melb against St Kilda 05), but they were 2nd and 3rd week finals and were dependent on what side of the draw we fell into.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast