Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tom Mitchell to the Swans!

Essendon have 10 players on the senior list under 23 years and over 190 cm. We have 4 (if I coundted right). Not sure what role he'd play but may be better opportunities for him with Sydney?

Quote Originally Posted by Far Reach View Post
    Essendon have 10 players on the senior list under 23 years and over 190 cm. We have 4 (if I coundted right). Not sure what role he'd play but may be better opportunities for him with Sydney?
    That will not only be weighing on Joe's mind about possible options, but I have been saying for months that potentially Essendon can't afford to shell out their first round pick on him due to the current state of their list which is staked with young KP players and no midfielders.

I wonder if Essendon have told him that they may not be able to use their pick and he should consider other options as well.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Quote Originally Posted by DST View Post
    That will not only be weighing on Joe's mind about possible options, but I have been saying for months that potentially Essendon can't afford to shell out their first round pick on him due to the current state of their list which is staked with young KP players and no midfielders.

I wonder if Essendon have told him that they may not be able to use their pick and he should consider other options as well.

DST
    Good point. The system is very different now to when clubs could use late round draft picks for father son selections. I'm sure our guys are in close contact with Joe and the family (as they were with Darcy) so we're in with a shot which is all you can ask.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by hammo View Post
    I'm sure our guys are in close contact with Joe and the family (as they were with Darcy) so we're in with a shot which is all you can ask.
    I have every bit of faith in our superb recruiters. If we dont get him, we were never going to get him.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

I love you nich, never get a chance to see any OCC so that was great.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Veteran Site Admin
    Young Tom sounds like a ripper - great attitude to go with his football ability. Wonder if we might see him front up for a reserves game or two this year during his school holidays.

Mitchell gets a headstart - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Young Tom sounds like a ripper - great attitude to go with his football ability. Wonder if we might see him front up for a reserves game or two this year during his school holidays.

Mitchell gets a headstart - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club
    Is he allowed to play?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

With the chance to come to the club a couple of times this year and doing a full pre-season before the draft next year, he might be capable of slotting straight into our midfield rotations from round 1 in 2012, as wil have been in our systems and training from now.

DST

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Is he allowed to play?
    Nothing stopping him being used a top up player for the reserves games while he is in Sydney during the school holidays.

Although his current club and WA Under 18's might not be too keen is seeing play extra games.

DST

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Officially (or semi officially) they're meant to be under 18s from Sydney for home games and from Canberra for away games but we have snuck a few exceptions in. Dylan McNeil played 2 games in 2009 and Anthony Miles (now with GWS) played 1 earlier this year, when both were playing for Murray Bushrangers in the TAC Cup. However, they have flagged a change in policy and looks like they'll be looking towards more players from the Swans Academy as the top ups in years to come. Depending on the draw, we might be able to play him in the crossover matches against GWS, GC and the Lions where they will be no restrictions.

Thx guys....would be fun to have a sneak preview

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    However, they have flagged a change in policy and looks like they'll be looking towards more players from the Swans Academy as the top ups in years to come. Depending on the draw, we might be able to play him in the crossover matches against GWS, GC and the Lions where they will be no restrictions.
    Is that a change in policy, or does it just reflect the greater numbers available as scholarship players (and now academy players) mature and get closer to drafting age. Most of the scholarship players have had a run or two in the reserves over the last couple of years once they've become physically ready. And although top-ups in the Canberra games have been mostly sourced from local Canberra clubs, they've also been taking a swag of scholarship players down with them to Canberra each week.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast