Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans Academy and player watch

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Looks like the right face too, going by the photo in this article.
    I am not convinced those photos are of the same lad. The one of the WA Moody doesn't look like how I remembered "our" Moody looks from the couple of times I've watched him play.

Also, the WA Moody was playing U16s a year ago, based on that article. I am not exactly sure how the age cut-offs work but "our" Moody is already 18 and eligible to be drafted this year. I suspect he wouldn't then have been eligble to play U16s a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I am not convinced those photos are of the same lad. The one of the WA Moody doesn't look like how I remembered "our" Moody looks from the couple of times I've watched him play.

Also, the WA Moody was playing U16s a year ago, based on that article. I am not exactly sure how the age cut-offs work but "our" Moody is already 18 and eligible to be drafted this year. I suspect he wouldn't then have been eligble to play U16s a year ago.
    The WA Moody in the Clontarf article is Andrew, not Eric. Andrew is only 17, and would have been u16s last year.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I can confirm that they are the same Moodys. Dad was from WA and Mum from Narromine.

Potter BOG Moody and Guthrie among the goals

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...2/default.aspx

NSW State U15's all schools side picked , Swans academy players Brad Watson,Joel Bottin-Noonan, Issac Heeney, Joshua Barty, Nicholas Foster, Abe Davis, Oliver Wetzlar. CIS/CCC north defeated CIS/CCC south ( Riverina kids) in final. Heeney, Barty, Foster standouts in carnival after strong performances at U16's Riverview carnival where U15 academy defeated GWS U15 academy.

Veteran Site Admin
    Hey, I wonder if JBN is any relation to ex-scholarship player RBN!

I was talking to Josh's Dad yesterday at the footy and he told me about the news. That is, Gosford Tigers footy as Josh played with us until last year. He is now experiencing major development of his skills with Pennant Hills along with the Swans Academy.

Josh's Dad, Andrew, has done an outstanding job bringing him up (as a single father) and has done what all great fathers would do and take his son here there and everywhere in his football development journey.

You can go to : Gosford Tigers Junior and read about Josh and our fantastic Club.

BTW, I'm leading the tipping there as well but not as much as RWO. Just quietly bragging.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Hey, I wonder if JBN is any relation to ex-scholarship player RBN!
    I hear another one will be rolling out in Sydney soon, NBN.

Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    I hear another one will be rolling out in Sydney soon, NBN.

Already here on the Central Coast. A WIN for us.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Potter BOG Moody and Guthrie among the goals

Vic Metro demolish NSW/ACT - AFL.com.au
    Very interesting game this, and again showed the difference that having that week in week out high level contest from a young age makes.

Man on man, skills and athleticism, Vic Metro would have had some advantage, but not to the extent of 80 points. At half time, it looked like a contest, and the RAMS had actually had lengthy periods in the ascendancy. They were not able to put the points on the scoreboard to reflect it though. The Vics are a well oiled machine, with every player knowing exactly when and where to be ... a skill error by the RAMS would consistently receive swift retribution at the other end. The RAMS had their moments of great sweeping ball movement as well, but, more often, the NSW work was stop, start and possibly over thought ... no questioning their application, they just lack the polish.

... and the umpires at these carnivals are at least consistent ... they tend to allow the "traditional AFL" states to get away with a lot, and then pull everything up the other way, almost like they have to explain the rules to the boys from "north of the border" who have never played before.

And who was the genius who decided that you should have 2 teams at a national championship wearing blue on blue strips!!??? ... bloody hard to follow who's who from the stand, and on more than one occassion there was clear confusion, and turn overs to the cunning opponent who just called "yes mate" in the heat of battle!

Here are some observations of the Academy Players;

Jackson Potter - as reported, one of the best for the Blues (RAMS Blues that is!). He cracks in hard in he middle and against the best mids he will meet in the carnival, was competitive. With less time to make decisions, probably tended to "bomb" long too often.

Jack Lynch - hard day at the office on the half back line, again, against the highest calibre forward line he has ever defended. Worked hard again, tried to rebound when he could, did some good things, matched his opponents physically. Was unlucky at one point when he took off on a searching run to just be held by the shorts ... actually dragged his tackler about 15m, taking a couple of bounces, unfortunately, holding the ball!

Blake Guthrie - showed his versatility, being used off the bench all over the ground. Started well in the forward pocket, taking a strong leading mark, then hit up the leading CHF inside 50, but he spilt the mark. Blake followed up the turnover and effected a great spoil. Also used as a rover and HBF during the game. Probably had as much ball as anyone for his game time, and was clean and efficient. Got rewarded for getting his head over the ball in a ruck and converted his set shot from 50. Would have some nice things for his "highlight" reel.

Eric Moody - also used sparingly and in a variety of roles. Just as he has shown with the Ressies, he can get to the right spots, and fought tenaciously for the ball at ground level. Also seemed to adapt to the pace and intensity of the game well. Did some smart stuff on and off the ball and rewarded with a major of his own.

Jonathon Gourlay - played mainly HFF, and had limited opportunities. Unfortunately conspicuous for conceding a couple of 50's (as mentioned earlier, I think the umpires were just trying to "educate" the RAMS at times !!!).

Others

Jarrod Witts (Collingwood Schol.) - Overage and looks like he is still growing! 207 cm and 107 kg, he actually looks bigger than that up close! He had a seriously good stoush in the ruck, and was strong all around the ground. Pretty sure he has a future in the game.

Michael Hartley (Collingwood Schol.) - Tall, strong, athletic and impressive. As reported, toiled manfully and effectively in defence against a power forward (Patton) who is being compared by the Vics with a young Jonathon Brown.

Xaviar Richards (Vic Metro) - "Vidic" with dark hair!

It will be interesting to see how both teams go from here, but it should only get easier for the RAMS!

Thanks for the great in-depth report unconfuseme. A few questions:

Who is coaching the RAMS this year? Is it still Nick Stevens?
    Is Lynch seen as key defender in the long term, or is it just a position for these U18 champs because of his size at this age? I think he moves incredibly well for anyone, let alone for his size and would be a very effective rebounding defender.

Wish we had a brother-brother rule then we could have Super Ted and X-Man Richards running around in the red and white! Sigh.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Thanks for the great in-depth report unconfuseme. A few questions:

Who is coaching the RAMS this year? Is it still Nick Stevens?
    Is Lynch seen as key defender in the long term, or is it just a position for these U18 champs because of his size at this age? I think he moves incredibly well for anyone, let alone for his size and would be a very effective rebounding defender.

Wish we had a brother-brother rule then we could have Super Ted and X-Man Richards running around in the red and white! Sigh.
    Did Brendan Jack play?

Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast