Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: GWS Giants?

Fine with me. Swans and several other clubs will be dubbed Giant Killers ad infinitum. Dumb choice. Suits Sheedy's ego but that's about it.

Outrageous. Their promo video features a shot of Paul Kelly.

Meh. The name's uninspiring, the colours are uninspiring. I was worried for a while that they'd come out with a really fresh and exciting branding for the team but my fears were entirely unfounded. I might go to a couple of their home games out of sheer curiosity, but that's about it.

Folks, we know the enemy now. And he is wearing an orange jumper.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

The only time I'll go see them play is when they play the Swans. And that includes all those close by Canberra games. Had a BIG adverse reaction to their marketing campaign in the ACT - it was intrusive, misleading, untrue and repetitively tiresomely crapola.

I like the colours but the name is too much of a mouthful. I'll go and watch GWS games that don't clash with Swans and Tigers(NRL) games. I'm a footy tragic and I won't pass up the opportunity to see more live AFL.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Does anyone know whether they'll play their NEAFL games at Blacktown or Homebush Bay next year/?

I think a couple of the articles mentions Blacktown as teh likely venue for their NEAFL matches next year, before moving to Homebush Bay the following year.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Regular in the Side
    i dont like the name..would ahve preferred Wolves.
    I do like the colour combo--Orange, Charcoal & White, but hate the design...
    They could ahve done better than a bloody big G on the front..
    I find it strange that their away strip is going to be blue...WTF..how does enhance your brand...
    Your team colours are your team colours..wear them with pride..not something totally different..
    Hopefully they'll change the jumper before 2012 so it is not too much of a laughing stock..but it def needs the white in it other wise it looks like 2 versions of poo splashed on there.
    Good luck to them..the only good thign about all of this, is more AFL games in sydney...

I didn't know Colless had said this, but well done. Make them feel welcome, Dick.

Last night, [GWS] leadership also took clear swipes at critics, such as Sydney chairman Richard Colless, who compared the introduction of a second Sydney team to the United States' war in Vietnam.
    Greater Western Sydney's big plans
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I like the colours but the name is too much of a mouthful. I'll go and watch GWS games that don't clash with Swans and Tigers(NRL) games. I'm a footy tragic and I won't pass up the opportunity to see more live AFL.
    Bingo Al -I'm the same with the Swans and the Sharks - that is the very reason why I'm all for the new team -Certainly early on I wasnt interested in the new GWS team & thought that the Swans would be effected. I also thought that a team should have been in Tassie first. However, then I actually looked at the bigger picture, there is no way the AFL would have gone into this area on a whim without a tonne of research. Of course for me the Swans will always come first - but I'm so looking forward to seeing more real footy in this city during the winter. Whats not to love about that?

Contrary to the opinions of some, the AFL are a pretty bloody well run business, they are the most cashed up & profitable sporting organisation in this country and they have money to spend so they must be doing something right dont you think?

After all the crapola, scare mongering, call it what you will, put out there by the League journalists, I hope that the AFL can prove to the sceptics that both codes can co-exist, that its not a take over. And I'd like to shut up those thick as @@@@ league supporters (of which there are a considerable percentage) who are just overreacting and complaining for the sake of it - to them I say GROW UP - the two codes can co-exist.
    Last edited by Wardy; 17th November 2010 at 12:59 PM.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

On the Rookie List

Smile GWS Minnows

I have to say the release of the GWS name, logo and jumper is one the most amatuer efforts i have seen in a long while.

Why would you do it now?
    Why would you choose a name that is meaningless to Western Sydney?
    Why would you choose the worse combination of colours in the AFL and why would you put them together so pathetically?

It is done now and really can't be changed without major embarassment to the AFL. A complete stuff up!

Bloody great for the Swans though!!!!

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    I'm with you there on the Wombats. I'm forever waiting for the Dingos or the Frill-Necked Lizards to turn up.

For showing mild originality, points to the Brumbies and Redbacks, likewise the Swans although technically it's the Black Swan we were named after.

Giants is just the kind of focus-group blandness you'd expect from the league.

Bring back the Black Cocks.
    The Greatest Team Name Of All Time
    I never knew - Black Swans was actually the name I suggested for GWS. It would have pissed off most Swans fans and held some sort of significance for people in the ACT. Personally I'm fine with the look of the orange and charcoal colours (noting they still lack any roots/symbolism) but the moniker means absolutely nothing to the greater region that GWS will supposedly represent. If you are an ACT supporter of the game like me, it would have been nice to have a concession to the ACT in the way of a logo that even slightly encompassed the capital region (I liked Rams even though it is used for the ACT/NSW team). Looks like the ACT Government will subsidises GWS until the team can get on its own two feet and ditch us completely. Luckily I?ve always seen the Swans as the team that represents NSW/ACT.

Suspended by the MRP reigning premier's Avatar
    Is that the truth?? Or did you read it in the Telegraph?
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    Extremely offensive to a 24-year member RP.
    A real fan woudl prefer Sydney to play at their home ground.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast