Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 2: Eastlake Demons v Sydney Swans Reserves

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Round 2: Eastlake Demons v Sydney Swans Reserves

NEAFL (Eastern Conference) Round 2
    Eastlake Demons v Sydney Swans Reserves
    Sunday 10th April 2010 12.30pm
    Ainslie Oval

A new competition against familiar foes. Note there is no typo in the heading, we really do begin the season in Round 2! (Round 1 started for the Northern Conference only with all Eastern Conference teams receiving a bye).

Eastlake were the team responsible for ending the Reserves' season early in 2010, knocking them out in the preliminary final by the tune of 21 points. The Demons will be one of the stronger sides in the Eastern Conference, having managed to hold on to their core squad and in addition have strengthened their side by bringing in 2 SANFL players, onballer Aaron Wiles from Port Adelaide and tall Mitch Frail from Central Districts. Diehard reserve fans may recall that Frail played for the reserves as a topup player in 2008.

Eastern Conference Ladder
    TeamWinsLossesDrawsByesPointsForAgainstPercentage
    Ainslie00000000.00%
    Eastlake00000000.00%
    Reserves00000000.00%
    Queanbeyan00000000.00%
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
    Belconnen00000000.00%
    Tuggeranong00000000.00%
    GWS00000000.00%
    Past Meetings
    R4 Reserves 18.10 (118) defeated Eastlake 17.9 (111) @ SCG
    In an entertaining and competitive match, the Reserves managed to hold on against a fash-finishing Demons outfit. Top-up player Kieran Emery and Matthew O'Dwyer both booted 3 majors while Mike Pyke, Gary Rohan and Dylan McNeil were the standouts.

R9 Eastlake 8.13 (61) defeated by Reserves 14.12 (96) @ Manuka
    The Reserves completed their 5th straight away game with a comfortable victory over the Demons. Kristin Thornton and forwards Lewis Johnston (5 goals) & Trent Dennis-Lane (4 goals) were the Swans best players.

R14 Reserves 21.15 (141) defeated Eastlake 15.12 (102) @ SCG
    A slow start to the game saw the Reserves trailing at quarter time, but once they clicked into gear, they were never really threatened by Eastlake on the scoreboard. Lewis Johnston starred with 5 goals at CHF, ably assisted by Pat Veszpremi and Trent Dennis-Lane's 4 goal hauls. Exciting South Australian Byron Sumner earnt his first BOG nomination, with sole ruckman Daniel Currie and Johnston also earning plaudits.

Prelim Final Eastlake 13.11 (89) defeated Reserves 10.8 (68) @ Manuka
    The Reserves started the final well, holding a 19 point lead at half time but lost the advantage through a dismal 2nd quarter. The Demons managed to hang on to their lead for the rest of the game to progress through to the grand final. Topup player Kieran Emery and Dylan McNeil kicked 2 goals with Daniel Currie, Sam Reid and Kristin Thornton the best Swans in a losing effort.

Recent Form
    Eastlake - N/A
    Reserves - WWW (all practice matches)

Last Round
    Reserves 23.16 (154) defeated GWS 8.10 (58)
    A poor first quarter where they wasted a few chances and allowed GWS some easy goals was quickly forgotten as they stepped up another gear or two and demolished their western rivals with a clinical display. Jed Lamb led the way with 6 goals, while big men Mike Pyke and Mark Seaby rotated well through the ruck and full forward. Young Alex Johnson had an impressive game in defence.

Team List (number of 2011 AFL Canberra games in brackets)
    Listed players

• 1. Mark SEABY [0]
    • 7. Brett MEREDITH [0] (Senior emergency)
    • 8. Trent DENNIS-LANE [0]
    • 10. Daniel CURRIE [0]
    • 11. Jed LAMB [0] (Senior emergency)
    • 17. Tadhg KENNELLY [0]
    • 22. Byron SUMNER [0]
    • 23. Lewis JOHNSTON [0]
    • 26. Luke PARKER [0]
    • 28. Dylan McNEIL [0]
    • 33. Jarred MOORE [0]
    • 36. Chris McKAIGUE [0]
    • 43. Eugene KRUGER [0]
    • 44. Max OTTEN [0]
    • 45. Nathan GORDON [0]
    • 46. Ben HAREN [0]

Changes (from practice match against GWS)
    In: Meredith (dropped) Dennis-Lane (ankle) Parker (non-playing senior emergency) Moore (ankle)
    Out: Alex Johnson (senior promotion) Mike Pyke (travelling senior emergency)

The promotions of Johnson and Pyke and the non-appearance of LRT robs this side of some height, especially in defence. Johnston will continue to hold down a key defensive post with Otten and McKaigue most likely to play in the other key defensive role. Kennelly and Sumner should round out the defensive set up.

In the midfield, Parker and Meredith return to add some inside muscle alongside McNeil which was a little lacking in the GWS game. This will allow Kruger to return to a more outside running role. Moore usually finds himself in the midfield when he turns out for the ressies, and with match fitness a concern, he'll probably get a run there albeit under restricted minutes.

Up forward, the new boys Haren and Lamb have been impressive, being the 2 leading goalkickers across the 3 practice matches. They'll get a boost from TDL's return from his ankle injury. My mouth waters at the thought Lamb and TDL working in tandem, those 2 have a few party tricks up their respective sleeves. Throw in the resting ruckman in Currie/Seaby and there are plenty of goals to be had in this side.

Overall I like the balance of this side, perhaps just missing another tall down back. Because the makeup of the reserves side is heavily dependent on the seniors, sometimes the team ends up with a lopsided squad of either too many smalls or too many talls - like the time in 2007 where we had 5 ruckmen all playing in the same team. However, this is not the case for Sunday's game where there is a good spread of different kinds of players throughout the squad.

Academy Players/Topups

• 30. Mitch MAY [0]
    • 47. Jackson POTTER [0]
    • 48. Blake GUTHRIE [0]
    • 50. James BRAIN [0]
    • 51. Jack LYNCH [0]
    • 53. Kane MURPHY [0]
    • 54. Tim WALES [0]
    • 57. Teddy STRUDWICK [0]

In: May, Strudwick
    Out: Daniel Robinson, Nathan Kenny

May seemed to play more in the Canberra based games last year as a topup. Strudwick's first appearance this year although I recall he has played against us as part of the Sydney AFL development side.

Reserves leading goalkickers
    N/A
    For full list: 2011 Leading goalkickers - RWOwiki

Reserves leading votegetters
    N/A
    For full list: 2011 Best votes - RWOwiki

Talking points
    The talking points mostly surround the return of the injured senior players

• Dennis-Lane - A quicker than anticipated return from the ankle injury he suffered in training. He did undergo a full pre-season so his minutes might not be as heavily managed as the two below.
    • Kennelly - Played 70 minutes last week, 10 more than expected, and with another solid hitout here, will probably be close to returning against Geelong. It will be interesting to see how the club handle his workload with the upcoming bye in Round 5.
    • Moore - Hasn't played any football since rolling his ankle in Coffs against the Saints and will be limited in the number of minutes he'll play. I'd expect a few weeks in the reserves before he even comes under consideration for the seniors.

Summary
    The Reserves had a mixed record on the road last year, scoring impressive wins over the strong clubs Belconnen and Eastlake but also suffering a thrashing at the hands of bottom side Tuggeranong. Coach Playfair will be no stranger to the conditions in the nation's capital, having played in a fair few Canberra games during his Swans career.

The Demons are a strong and well-drilled team with good, young developing players having recently supplied 6 players to the ACT representative side. Look out for the likes of Aaron Bruce, Chad Gibson and John Van Meurs. They should provide the Reserves with their sternest test to date this season.
    Last edited by ugg; 15th April 2011 at 12:30 PM.

Great preview as always

LRT is a worry.

For the reserves watchers who took a liking to Kieran Emery, I doubt you will see him in red & white again, he is now playing for Broadbeach in NEAFL - North Conference.

Game is on Sunday not Saturday as I originally posted. Sorry.

Are we on SAT or SUN Ugg ???? NEAFL East Draw suggests Sunday.
    Certainly a stronger outfit than the one that got dusted by Eastlake @ Manuka end of last season!
    And It looks as though these Sydney Top Ups could play a large part in the balance of this year. Granted there will be the odd toppy or Scholarship player from down south (eg: May), but the experience of Brain, Murphy and Wales as part of the 2010 GWS TAC Cup side will pay dividends I'm sure! I recall one of our last games v Ainslie @ Ainslie in the cold wintery conditions - and our toppies got mauled.
    Bulldog coming back from a niggle will add some real grunt also.
    Looking forward to the drive and hopefully a sunny day down in the capital.

It's Sunday.

Good point on the toppies too. The 3 practice games I'm pretty sure had no restrictions on the number of listed players running around but with the composition of this squad (24) it looks like the same restrictions as in the previous years (13 listed on the field at any one time)

Thanks ugg.

There was some confusion about the start time for Sunday's game at Ainslie. We have checked up locally and it is as ugg said, starting at 12:30pm.

Quote Originally Posted by RTTF View Post
    For the reserves watchers who took a liking to Kieran Emery, I doubt you will see him in red & white again, he is now playing for Broadbeach in NEAFL - North Conference.
    Exceptional preview as always.

I'll just have to scratch emery off my board.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Ah yes, Keiran, thought he might have snuck a rookie, but at least he is still having a crack.

That was awful Bas.

Thanks ugg.......again a terrific summary.

Someone keep an eye on 53, my new project player for the toppies, young Kane Murphy. He's kind of tiny so gets lost in the mahem.....ta.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Ben Haren looked great last weekend.....keep your eye on this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Mongrel View Post
    Ben Haren looked great last weekend.....keep your eye on this kid.
    I bagsed him first!

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    I'll just have to scratch emery off my board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    That was awful Bas.
    Tough school. I admit to chuckling...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Kane Murphy: son of legendary Swan David Murphy, transferred across to Sydney Uni from Riverview this year. Although @ Riverview in 2010 he played with GWS in the U18 TAC Cup comp for the year, playing with Riverview U18s occasionally. Also represented in the 2010 NSW/ACT U18 RAMS @ Nationals. Has been a St Kilda scholarship player, but the Saints passed on him in the 2010 draft. He will turn 19 this year - as will James Brain (ex-Brisbane Lions Scholarship, passed over in 2010 draft, 2010 NSW/ACT U18 RAMS ), transferred from Northshore to Sydney Uni this year, and also Tim Wales (ex-Geelong Scholarship, passed over in 2010 draft) still @ Pennant Hills this year I believe - injury riddled 2010 with GWS.
    Not a bad crop of Toppies!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast