Thread: Kick Ins

Blog Entries

Kick Ins

We still flluffed about a few times on Saturday night.
    I mean we had plenty of practice (21 kick-ins).
    But how good were some of them.

1) we kicked it long a number of times to the big guys
    2) Seaby marked a number of these.
    3) LJ has a marvellous kick on him, That first one was a ripper.

I hope this wasn't an anomaly due to the pies. I hope we use it more often.

Suspended by the MRP
    Reminds me of how kick ins used to be before coaches turned them into complex tactics.

I did like it A LOT.

I'm happy for LJ to take the kick in and then sprint through the centre of the ground until he gets inside the 50. If he is cool with that, then so am i.

In seriousness though, it was nice to see a change up. We have been too predictable in the past and Teams have set up really early against us. A few of the kicks to Seabs really helped to open the field up and quicken play. As we know though, it can result in goals from turnovers if not done right. Seabs had me worried there with one. A dropped mark in the contest would have resulted in scoring shot on the turnover as he didn't have much support around him. I enjoyed LJ's work though.

Remember Roos' qtr-time spray in the Pies match last year? He wrote a column recently to say that the piece of paper he was jabbing at was the game plan which said 'kick it long over the forward press'. So the idea isn't new - just the execution.

BTW Roos said on Foxsports in the pre-season that Johnston was the best kick in the club.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Suspended by the MRP
    Bombing it long and over the forward press has been used and discussed a lot this year, well more towards the start of the season. They even mentioned that the torp will be back in vogue this year!

Preoblem has been not many modern day players know how to roost a 70 metre torp without stuffing it up. So most have been kicking the traditional drop punt which doesnt carry as much as a torp does..so the idea has been shelved due to the massive risk of turning it over and conceding a goal.. The swans have been one of the only sides this year who tried it at almost all kick ins - except when tadhg kicked it in and did his usual spinning and dodging to kick it to a player deep in our defensive pocket.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I think my favourite one was when Tadhg and Mal combined to move the ball through the corridor leading to the Goodes contested mark in front of Harry O and our last goal. Of course that was due to neccessity as time was running out.

lewis can kick very long & is very accurate in the execution. i remember when you had Fullbacks kicking in & the bloke who played Fullback was a very long accurate kick. I also remember when big blokes used to take big pack marks, a bloke who played for Glenelg in Adelaide, Peter Carey, was one of the best pack marks I ever saw. He got offers from 8 VFL clubs but didn't want to move from Adelaide, he was probably the best ruckman I ever saw too. So I was very pleased to see a big guy like Seabs take some big ones & for Jonno to be confident enough to kick the ball to the pack.

I liked the tlong kick in, especially with a breeze at yr back, into a stiff breeze??????
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Many moons ago kick ins were simple and uncomplicated. The full back who always took the kick in had to be able to drop kick the ball around 60 mtrs. Always kicked long to the widest flank either side of the ground. Plenty of contested marking duels were a great spectacle then.

its a little like the fellow at the WC eagles who nails a 60m kick out................it helps tremendously break up the pressure the Carlton were trying to apply

hhhhhhmmmmmmm LJ is looking like he is going to get more time then Everitt but when AJ comes back will he get more time ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

On the Rookie List
    Ben Graham used to do some long kick ins....I remember they measured one of his kicks at Kardinia and from memory I think it went past halfway... It was probably a little while after that he decided to go to the NFL.
    Run2Live,Live2Run

On the veteran's list
    Even though the press is relatively new, it is leading to a few of these old fashioned footy tactics. Teams often kick long to the wing and hope to get the ball out of bounds. This means the teams then have to put blokes into more orthodox positions because they don't know who will win the ball. If you try to implement the press then you risk the ball being blasted deep into the opposition forward line with no defenders in position.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.