Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 10 v Roos (LJ to debut!)

On the Rookie List
    No surprise that Mummy is looking tired. Are they seriously thinking that he can play that hard that long all year without backup ruckman support? Ever played in the ruck Horse? Ok Pyke getting injured stopped a good move but the concept was still good.Seaby should have automatically come in.

TDL : Nice to see him kicking 7 in the reserves. Still can't play in the ones because his defensive pressure is not good enough. His defensive skills might cost us a goal.Forget the fact his attacking skills might get us another 5-6 goals! His non selection is real negative stuff,just like our current game style. We are Ugly again!

Clanger merchants: Shaw is trying to take Bevan's place as our number one clanger merchant and his poor disposal had us giving The Hawks a couple of goals while Reg's appalling disposal gave them another couple. Thats almost what we lost the game by. Once again i would promote Shaw as the sub and don't have a problem with keeping LRT but moving Reg to the forwards. Everitt still not in my best 22 and would rather see LJ there.

Parker for Jetta seems a swap which would give us more. Lastly the boys were not psychologically up to the game particularly after 1/2 time. Whatever was done during the 1/2 time break don't do it again! Furthermore,confiscate their mobile phones.It worked for the Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Panttz View Post
    Long time creeper, first time poster. haha

What about pushing Grundy up to the forward line? He did spend a lot of time up there early on in his career didn't he? Surely a better option than Mattner.
    Agreed that LRT needs to be spending a lot more time in the back line. If Grundy doesnt go forward the only real spot for him is LJ's. A shame but LRT is was a pretty reliable defender before his injuries.
    Last year-from memory-one of the assistant coaches said on radio that they wanted to give him another go forward - but couldn?t because of injuries to KP defenders. Seems we may have enough now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Bevan has usually been worth his place as a forward.The problem is the coaches. They can't resist putting him back to a defensive position.There he gives us all heart failure with his clangers. If he was put in a forward pocket and KEPT there I am sure he would contribute well.
    so true... they just can't help themselves..

Tadhg has hit the nail on the head - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226061458142

Jetta needs to go work on his defensive game in the two's, once he builds his tackling and ball pressure, his offensive game will become a lot better naturally. Man i wish Rohan was ready to come back in.

I don't know if it was coincidence or not but after Jetta went off the Hawks came out of their 50 even more easy than before. We also looked so slow it wasn't funny. It was like we had this massive hole on the wing and no-one knew how to plug it. Maybe it was just an optical illusion and paranoia but you really noticed when he wasn't there, which is strange because I was calling for him to be dropped as well.

When Rohan comes back in we need to groom him to play more forward. Just reading articles on Folau from GWS I can see the parallel that Gary is an attacking player. Not a player that wants to be shadowing an offensive player. He is one of the best young kicks around and it's worth giving him more game time in a Stevie J type role. Now that Nick Mal and Tadhg are back and Alex is doing well it's time to leave Gary up front. It's a damn shame he is injured because he will have to come back through the 2's now and probably only get a crack at a utility type role again. He's young though - plenty of time I guess.

Longmire should confiscate the player's phones, computers and anything electronic they own.

Quote Originally Posted by Peace View Post
    Jetta needs to go work on his defensive game in the two's, once he builds his tackling and ball pressure, his offensive game will become a lot better naturally. Man i wish Rohan was ready to come back in.
    I reckon Jetta is a victim of high expectations. He's not getting much help from his fellow midfielders, but still contributes imo. And why does he need to build his tackling, pressure? That's not what we recruited him for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleed Red Blood View Post
    I reckon Jetta is a victim of high expectations. He's not getting much help from his fellow midfielders, but still contributes imo. And why does he need to build his tackling, pressure? That's not what we recruited him for.
    I actually think his tackling and chasing is pretty good anyway. He's not going to be a clearance machine and win a heap of contested footy, that's not his go and we don't want him doing that anyway.

It's his finishing and the blazing away that annoys me. I wouldn't drop him though.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    I actually think his tackling and chasing is pretty good anyway. He's not going to be a clearance machine and win a heap of contested footy, that's not his go and we don't want him doing that anyway.

It's his finishing and the blazing away that annoys me. I wouldn't drop him though.
    What do you mean? You'd think he's kicked a whole heap of behinds in his career to date or something....

I actually agree in your point that his work off the ball is pretty good - not strong bodied stuff but chasing and harrassing. One of the things the Hawks had on us was pace and dropping Lewis wont fix that.

I'm also getting a bit sick of the whole 'throw them down back to learn the game' thing -some guys are natural attacking players and we should be playing them as such. And some guys (i.e. LRT) are vert accomplished defenders and belong down back. We shouldn't tinker with these things too much.

TDL would be a good in for mine - also time to see Johnston I reckon. Dunno who to drop though - I've leave that to the experts...

When it comes down to it, we need more genuine forwards in the team (not fill ins or resting players).

Reid has been struggling a little, but is still presenting well and involving himself in lots of contests. The delivery isn't helping.

Everitt has been ok, but ideally should be played as a roaming HF (similar to what O'Keefe used to do). I'd actually give him a rest this week and see what Johnston can do in the same position.

I'd also bring in TDL as a permanent forward, along with Reid and McGlynn. I'd also bring in Seaby who can relieve in the ruck and rest up forward.

So the forward line would be:

Johnston Reid Hannebery/ O'Keefe
    TDL Seaby McGlynn

Changes for this round therefore should be:

Outs: Bird, Everitt, Johnson
    Ins: TDL, Johnston, Seaby

Johnson unlucky, but more so out for team balance with LRT back to a permanent role in defence.

Thoughts?
    Sanford Wheeler 4 President!

Quote Originally Posted by Bleed Red Blood View Post
    We recruited him for his pace with AND without the ball.... so far this season he is only interested in using his pace when he has the ball in his hands. Only a handful of times have a seen him make 2nd and 3rd attempts on pressuring the opponent into spilling the ball over.

I have always been a jetta fan, but after his first few games with us last year, he has just seemed a bit lacklustre in his defensive output. When was the last time you saw him suprise an opponent and ping them for HTB? You dont have to be 90kg+ to do that. I jsut want to see more really committed defensive efforts from him and i think a spell in the two's might spurr that on.

We are actually lacking a good tagging player. For years we had Kirky and then Jack stepped up, now we have no one.

They are trying to groom Bird for the role, though that doesn't seem to be working. Smith is the obvious one but then it robs our defence of someone to cover the small forward.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast