Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Second Semi Final: Sydney Swans Reserves v Ainslie Tricolours

Sounds like the reserves did well all things considered. I crossed paths with them at Sutton Forest Maccas on the way home from the game in Sydney - haha I had to laugh when Campbell Heath ordered a Happy Meal with apple juice and the toy!

Very impressive performance, and hard to argue with the summary

Reserves through to Conference final - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club

Scoreboard pressure told, and with the Swans kicking accurately early, Ainslie were never really in the hunt.
    Nonetheless, it was a very "willing" contest, and Ainslie never turned it up, in fact they should have finished closer as they dominated much of the last quarter without converting, but the game was well won by then. They are a strong side, and it would not surprise if we see them again in 2 weeks.
    The "Academy defence" (which it was apart from Cambo and LRT) was most impressive. You could see the "Crouch" influence on the likes of Lynch, Kenny, Potter, Wray and Guthrie, who all took on greater responsibility and all put in mature confident accountable performances and really formed the stable base for the rest of the team to build from.
    On recent form and after his 5 goals last week, Ainslie forward Marcus Crook was an obvious danger. Guthrie did a number on him, and Crook was eventually moved to the half back line in the 3rd quarter to get a kick, having not worried the scorers.
    Doggie was again a cut above this grade, as was Meredith. Nipper again threw everything into it, and kicked well for goal to help build that early pressure, Dylan showed no ill effects from last weeks knock, and is as tough as anyone playing. With Pyke and Seaby we always had a big advantage if we needed to kick to a contest under pressure.
    This was probably one of the more complete "team" performances by the ressies, evidenced by the spread of goal scorers, and the development, improvement and depth of the "toppies" has been crucial ... a match against Ainslie with only 11 listed players would have almost been unwinnable last year.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Can someone tell me what the news is with TDL?
    The guy averages 5gls/game this year and is not sighted in this thread???
    He's always on my radar when I read this thread.

Can't wait for next year when nipper and TDL are both fitter and stronger and
    Become starters in our senior line-up (along with our best kick.....LJ)
    Despite what the masses think - Jetta will also fire but needs time to rebuild confidence.
    It must be a hard thing to develop though when your own supporters don't believe!!!

Hopefully the makings to go back to back! Go Bloods!

So did Murphy play? I worry.

Interesting to see Henry on the sidelines again this week, leaving Crouchy to take care of the ressies. Does this mean yet another succession plan is in working order? Do we have succession plans for ressie coaches? then again why not.

Is TDL losing heart?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Murphy and TDL both did Ok (I was actually surprised that TDL was absent from the scoresheet, he was certainly involved, and would have had a number of assists I'm sure - same for Murph). Ainslie are a good side, and have a strong physical midfield, so for the Swans to prevail they needed to play as a team, and that's what happened. Every player contributed, there were no poor performances from the Swans. I think it is a reflection of the lack of competition during the year that makes some players look better in easier games. IMO, players like TDL and Murphy can look great when we are bullying the bottom end sides, and the game is really only played through the hands of of maybe a dozen players. Again, both boys played strongly, but it was a different kind of game yesterday. Hard and contested, everyone had to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty! Other players not mentioned also played well.
    All signs of a stable, well coached team.
    It would not have been easy to give votes yesterday, but the coaches obviously identified the players who they identified as having carried out their instructions best.

Just saw that Eastlake have rolled GWS today! ... very interesting!

Commentary Team Captain BeeEmmAre's Avatar
    From all reports, GWS was not interested in winning the game today, and rested a number of players, Israel Folau included. Their preparations for 2012 were based around the home and away season, and under the AFL's competitive bargaining agreement, the longer they stayed in the finals, the longer they delayed the start of pre-season for 2012. Can't say I agree with that tactic, as it cheapens the ACTAFL (NEAFL East Conference) and having their young team play finals and possibly contend for a premiership would IMO have been hugely beneficial.
    But that's what I heard today, so take it at face value if you will. It certainly opens the door a bit wider for us because I reckon we've got both Ainslie and Eastlake's measure.
    "It's up to the rest of the players in the room to make a new batch of premiership players next year," Adam Goodes, triple Bob Skilton Medallist, October 7, 2011.

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I'm not sure about Izzy (he was originally named) but the Giants currently have a pretty big injury list and had to rely on a lot of their Academy players.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    ... under the AFL's competitive bargaining agreement...
    I think it's "collective bargaining agreement". The whole idea with it is to ensure that individual bargaining is as uncompetitive as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeEmmAre View Post
    From all reports, GWS was not interested in winning the game today, and rested a number of players, Israel Folau included. Their preparations for 2012 were based around the home and away season, and under the AFL's competitive bargaining agreement, the longer they stayed in the finals, the longer they delayed the start of pre-season for 2012. Can't say I agree with that tactic, as it cheapens the ACTAFL (NEAFL East Conference) and having their young team play finals and possibly contend for a premiership would IMO have been hugely beneficial.
    But that's what I heard today, so take it at face value if you will. It certainly opens the door a bit wider for us because I reckon we've got both Ainslie and Eastlake's measure.
    Disgusting attitude if this is true. Finals are played at a different intensity than normal games and the experience would have been invaluable for their youngster.

Hopefully it's like Ugg said and that they didn't have a choice with injuries.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks for the comments and info about the ressies - always appreciated.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Regular in the Side
    From what I've heard GWS didn't have a choice - massive injury list to their younger stars and Folau unavailable (personal leave)

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Very impressive performance, and hard to argue with the summary

Reserves through to Conference final - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club

Scoreboard pressure told, and with the Swans kicking accurately early, Ainslie were never really in the hunt.
    Nonetheless, it was a very "willing" contest, and Ainslie never turned it up, in fact they should have finished closer as they dominated much of the last quarter without converting, but the game was well won by then. They are a strong side, and it would not surprise if we see them again in 2 weeks.
    The "Academy defence" (which it was apart from Cambo and LRT) was most impressive. You could see the "Crouch" influence on the likes of Lynch, Kenny, Potter, Wray and Guthrie, who all took on greater responsibility and all put in mature confident accountable performances and really formed the stable base for the rest of the team to build from.
    On recent form and after his 5 goals last week, Ainslie forward Marcus Crook was an obvious danger. Guthrie did a number on him, and Crook was eventually moved to the half back line in the 3rd quarter to get a kick, having not worried the scorers.
    Doggie was again a cut above this grade, as was Meredith. Nipper again threw everything into it, and kicked well for goal to help build that early pressure, Dylan showed no ill effects from last weeks knock, and is as tough as anyone playing. With Pyke and Seaby we always had a big advantage if we needed to kick to a contest under pressure.
    This was probably one of the more complete "team" performances by the ressies, evidenced by the spread of goal scorers, and the development, improvement and depth of the "toppies" has been crucial ... a match against Ainslie with only 11 listed players would have almost been unwinnable last year.
    Is Potter related to our old Craig Potter by any chance?
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234