Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 2011 RWO draft thread - as it happens and the wash up

From my understanding we are still able to pre-select three NSW zone players before the rookie draft. GWS can do the same. They select the first player, then the Swans, then GWS etc.. I suppose we could pick Potter, Thompson and Cunningham this way. What advantage this has over selecting Potter as a scholarship rookie I can't guess.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It is a bit confusing, isn't it. I think I mentioned on a different thread that I was surprised that Lynch appeared to have been excluded from rookie list considerations so early in the piece. I had thought his height and athleticism would make him a relatively attractive option. And so - now - it seems he is.

Presumably they are still mulling over Thompson and Potter. Maybe the two have been told they are battling it out for just one spot??

Don't spose anyone has a clue on whether we still get access to other NSW rookies as priority picks (apart from those nominated under the scholarship system), and if so, how this interacts with GWS' rights to NSW rookies? An article explaining the rookie entitlements and the different types of priorty access under scholarship, academy and old NSW rookie rules would make for really interesting reading.
    I'm interested in this as well, especially with regard to Cunningham. Lynch has been added as a NSW Scholarship player, but can Cunningham be preselected as a NSW Zone rookie?
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    I'm interested in this as well, especially with regard to Cunningham. Lynch has been added as a NSW Scholarship player, but can Cunningham be preselected as a NSW Zone rookie?
    Assuming TheGong is correct in his post above (ie we still have access to NSW priority rookie picks) then presumably Cunningham can, though it sounds like GWS have first dibs on him. It is hard to fathom the advantage of picking Potter in this way, rather than as a scholarship player unless

a) they are still making their mind up; or
    b) there is a limit to how many scholarship players we can take as rookies in any one year.

Of course, the club may already have decided not to take him and hence haven't nominated him by today's deadline.

b) doesn't seem to make sense because I am pretty sure other clubs have put as many as three scholarship players onto their rookie lists in any one season. For instance, I think the Hawks did last year. They certainly put two onto their rookie list.

Veterans List
    Liz, Hawthorn have been active, they took two last year, Will Langford and Jack Mahony (now delisted) for season 2011.

They took two the year before for season 2010, Sierakowski who they traded to North Melbourne in this years trade week and Michael Johnston who they delisted after one year.

They didn't upgrade from the NSW Scholarship Scheme the much hyped Trent Stubbs to their Rookie List last year and he was taken by Collingwood in the 2010 ND with pick 77. Interesting that Collingwood have now delisted him.

I wonder how many rookies all up we will take this year? Maybe a project ruckman?
    Last edited by 707; 30th November 2011 at 12:13 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Why this fascination with a footballer who has the potential to rip the club asunder and would be a short term prospect anyway. The Swans ethos is built around the team. Fev's ethos, if there is one, is built around Fev.
    FWIW I don't believe that we'll take Fev, but I don't subscribe to the theory that one player would cause such carnage to a club with a strong culture.

In Fev's case he was simply given too much leeway at Carlton for too long when the club was at its lowest ebb.

At the Lions there was no impact on their on field performance, in fact him and Brown were looking formidable in the first half of the season before he got injured. It obviously didnt end well but the cost for the Lions was his large salary and the fact they traded too much for him when Carlton would have given him away.

In the million to one shot that we did draft him as a rookie we would be paying him SFA, he would cost nothing in terms of draft picks, and as a rookie he would have to earn a spot on the senior list through his performances (on and off field).

If he stuffed up he'd be banished to Canberra and delisted at the end of the season.

Very little risk there for a club with a good administration and strong culture

Just wild about Harry
    I read an online article today about Andrew Lovett saying he wants to come back to AFL and has been training with a personal trainer. He would prefer to go to Essendon in the draft, but would be prepared to go anywhere. He is fast and played 88 games for the Bombers and stated that he would be happy to play for nothing. He was also found not guilty of rape charges. If there is so much chat about Fev, then why not look at this?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I read an online article today about Andrew Lovett saying he wants to come back to AFL and has been training with a personal trainer. He would prefer to go to Essendon in the draft, but would be prepared to go anywhere. He is fast and played 88 games for the Bombers and stated that he would be happy to play for nothing. He was also found not guilty of rape charges. If there is so much chat about Fev, then why not look at this?
    Fair dinkum, SEN waste an incredible amount of air time on Fevola and today they were harping on about Lovett. When I switched on the radio and heard this topic I switched off very quickly. There are many more good footy stories at any time of the year than wasting time on the these two losers. Lovett has dead set always been highly overrated. Why would you want to risk damaging the culture of your football club by recruiting a bloke like him.

From @AFL twitter

Pending AFL approval, six clubs will have picks in pre-season draft on 13 Dec: GWS, WB, Rich, GC, Port, Freo. Order to be confirmed next wk.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I thought the order would be in reverse from their finishing positions? If so it would be GWS, GC, Port, Rich, Freo, WB

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Fair dinkum, SEN waste an incredible amount of air time on Fevola and today they were harping on about Lovett. When I switched on the radio and heard this topic I switched off very quickly. There are many more good footy stories at any time of the year than wasting time on the these two losers. Lovett has dead set always been highly overrated. Why would you want to risk damaging the culture of your football club by recruiting a bloke like him.
    Agree, there are too many players as good or better as those two who don't have the baggage.

We have recruited well, so give the newbies a chance to show what they have got.

And if the team can't kick, recruiting Fev is not going to solve that one!

Maybe some yoga and meditation, or better still, for every miss, a four by four over the back of the head!
    doof-doof

what do you guys and girls think of Lynch ?

did he mainly play wing or flanks in ressies ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast