Thread: Rd 1 team

Regular in the Side

Rd 1 team

If the team for rd 1 comes out of this weeks players this is what I have come up with.

B shaw richards johnson
    HB mattner grundy smith
    C jetta kennedy mal
    HF mc glynn reid rohan
    F mc veigh goodes parker
    R mummy jack bolton
    Int pyke bird morton sub harry

I put morton in ahead of LRT as I could not find a spot for him and thought that 2 talls on the bench was no good.

I love how Harry Cunningham is already Harry. He's reached first name status so quickly, like a Madonna or Michael.

Warming the Bench
    The Rookie List is a means for Australian Football League clubs to maintain additional players outside of the 38-man primary or senior list. Rookie listed players are not eligibile to play in AFL home and away or finals matches unless they are elevated to the senior list, either to replace a retired player or a player with a long-term injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    I love how Harry Cunningham is already Harry. He's reached first name status so quickly, like a Madonna or Michael.
    I don't think he can play, as there is no-one on the long term injury list and no-one prematurely retiring.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    This has already been discussed in another thread, but basically since we have 2 veterans 'inside the list' (or to be technically correct we have no veterans 'outside the list'), we have 2 spots open for rookie elevation. I think there is a deadline involved for these nominations though, might be before the NAB Cup grand final.

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    If the team for rd 1 comes out of this weeks players this is what I have come up with.

B shaw richards johnson
    HB mattner grundy smith
    C jetta kennedy mal
    HF mc glynn reid rohan
    F mc veigh goodes parker
    R mummy jack bolton
    Int pyke bird morton sub harry

I put morton in ahead of LRT as I could not find a spot for him and thought that 2 talls on the bench was no good.
    It is a good team, the only thing I can see happening there is that Hanners may come in if he's fit, leaving Pyke out, as u want three running players on the interchange, as well as a utility for the sub. If that happens, we'll need a backup ruckman, White or LRT will have to come in, leaving Morton out, also there is apossibility that ROK may be fit by round 1 although that seems unlikely at this point, probably Mal would miss out for him, nice to have this kind of depth
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    This has already been discussed in another thread, but basically since we have 2 veterans 'inside the list' (or to be technically correct we have no veterans 'outside the list'), we have 2 spots open for rookie elevation. I think there is a deadline involved for these nominations though, might be before the NAB Cup grand final.
    Sweet thanks. Will be very good to watch him in the season proper then after seeing his promise in the nab cup.

I think that our team, will be picked with the view, to not only be the best at contested football and winning the tackle count, but to provide us with the greatest opportunity to be able to beat the forward press and combat the top 3 teams !!

Realistically to beat the press, we need to be able to spread faster than the top teams, we also need to be able to push past the last line of defence with speed when need be, which is not easy for any team.

ROK is out rd 1 at this stage? - with Hannes a maybe.........when available I feel Mal drops out when one of them comes back and if Harry gets an opportunity in rd1 etc and or fires up still in NAB Cup he will push Morton out IMO as there is so much more upside and flexibility with Harry - imagine Harry by rd 20 !!!!!

From the Adelaide games I saw of Armstrong, his quality delivery and run from the backline is exactly what we are still looking for - we need to be able to execute when we rush forward.......that means Lou's deft touch is critical I feel - if he can defend also !

Goodes and Jetta on the Wings just makes me excited !!! Goodes obviously alternating to the Forwards. I like Macca in the forward line making our structure happen in attack and press defence....... and he is a solid tagging player as well as kicks goals

B shaw richards johnson
    HB mattner grundy smith
    C jetta kennedy Goodes
    HF mc glynn reid rohan
    F mc veigh Pyke parker
    R mummy Jack bolton
    Int Hannes bird Harry sub Morton

Mal, Lamb, Lockyer, Mitchell, Armstrong, Spang, White are all hot on the heels of the 22
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Nice to have so many choices. In years past the side has just picked itself and if we had injuries we were in a bit of trouble but not now. We have huge depth and lots of different types of player to pick from. How wonderful to be in this posie. Here is my effort but it all depends on the last couple of NAB Cup games;

McGlinn Goodes Pyke

Morton Reid Shaw

Rohan Kennedy Jetts

Macca Grundy Mattner

Smith Richards Johnno

Ruck; Mummy, Jack, Parker

Interchange; Bolts, Mal, Bird

Sub; Cunningham

What I think the side will be (not necessarily what I want it to be):

B: Smith Richards Johnson
    HB: Mattner Grundy Shaw
    C: McVeigh Jack Bird
    HF: Parker Reid Bolton
    F: McGlynn Pyke Rohan
    R: Mumford Goodes Kennedy

I/C: Jetta, Morton, Malceski, White

Without Hannebery and ROK (I'm assuming they will not be ready for round 1, rightly or wrongly) in the side, I think Longmire won't risk picking an inexperienced Cunningham and instead will pick a more experienced hand like Mal or Morton in his place. Would be glad to be wrong.

The side worked best last year when there were consistently 3 talls up forward so that is why Jesse is there on the bench. Hopefully Goodes will again spend most time in the middle in 2012 as a result of 3 talls being present (one of Jesse and Pyke will be subbed late in the game for a Morton, Mal or Jetta).

Goes up to 11
    I thought Mal looked pretty good in the NAB game a couple of weeks ago and I reckon if he's solid enough tonight he'll keep his spot. Morton has also looked ok and would deserve a place in round 1 at this stage. It'll be hard for a first gamer to break into round 1, however as its only GWS we could easily afford to blood a deserving youngster like Harry.....