I really dont believe that GWS are putting up an us v them type mentality any more than carlton do against collingwood or fremantle do against west coast. I bet not all of the players from those teams are forced to live and breathe the ethos of those suburbs/areas just to play for them ( unless the ethos in fremantle generally is that we never know how to win a premiwership , we cant write songs and we love purple as a fashion statement).

As for repreresenting the region - what part of the names , Essendon, Carlton, Richmond , Collingwood suggest they are not representing that region / suburb. I accept that many people from outside that suburb may support that team but if they didnt want to associate with the area , they would just become the Magpies, the Blues, the Tigers and the Bombers.

Lets face it the only reason Geelong players live in Geelong is probably because its too far to drive from Melbourne every day and as for Gold Coast - whats the alternative - Brisbane? I know if someone said to me , Ill pay you a million bucks to come and play footy for me and we would prefer you live in the area which is a popular beach holiday destination , I would hardly think you would need to really convince me.