Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Your Call - One Movement - Grundy

Pushing for Selection

It's Your Call - One Movement - Grundy

I sometimes struggle to understand the consistency of umpiring decisions on the field game to game/ week to week and then the explanation from Jeff Gieschen in the 'It's Your Call' video put out by the AFL site, so I thought I might get some help from you guys who have been around the game for a longer time.

Last week I was watching Grundy get a free against him for what I thought was a legal bump with his body from the side as the ball came down to Nick Reiwoldt. It wasnt in the back, or with his hands, or the ball outside 5m away - the explanation given by Gieschen was that he did it in 2 movements?? ie he bumbed Nick and then moved to catch the ball. It looked for all the world to me like a perfect example of using your body (no hands) to protect the drop of the ball - similar to Jack did a few weeks ago inside 50 when he bumbed a Dees player (I think) as they were both going for the ball.

I am missing something?

Yeah, i struggled with his explanation, but no one is going to argue with them, for a coach it costs too much and for journo's, well, the umpiring dept must have some kind of pull, if it were Collingwood Eddie might have something to say, he can afford the 10k, but probably wouldn;t get fined such is his influence. We have long suffered the bad side of the 50/50 frees, just like Jack R hands in the back when we played the tiges, heard Roos say he called the umps boss to talk but never anything changed, especially when HAll was getting umpired out of teh game. In 05/06 we played against a lopsided free kick count and won, we were just that good, or at least had the character to overcome it. I think in both our bad losses the team has suffered a drop in morale, not understanding what the frees are for, and if u argue with the ump it's 50 so u just have to shut up and get on with it
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    I sometimes struggle to understand the consistency of umpiring decisions on the field game to game/ week to week and then the explanation from Jeff Gieschen in the 'It's Your Call' video put out by the AFL site, so I thought I might get some help from you guys who have been around the game for a longer time.

Last week I was watching Grundy get a free against him for what I thought was a legal bump with his body from the side as the ball came down to Nick Reiwoldt. It wasnt in the back, or with his hands, or the ball outside 5m away - the explanation given by Gieschen was that he did it in 2 movements?? ie he bumbed Nick and then moved to catch the ball. It looked for all the world to me like a perfect example of using your body (no hands) to protect the drop of the ball - similar to Jack did a few weeks ago inside 50 when he bumbed a Dees player (I think) as they were both going for the ball.

I am missing something?
    I agree that you're not missing anything. Gieschen will always back the call and state why it was a free kick. The Grundy example you are talking about would not be given 99 times out of 100 but when it is they defend it. You are right to use Jack Riewoldt example but the only difference I can see is that the Riewoldt's are forwards and Grundy is not.

Pushing for Selection
    I wasn't even looking at it from a Swans point of view, I just want to know what is deemed within the rules?

We all can accept that Umpires make mistakes on the field, but when it comes to interpretations in the light of day by the Umpires boss, I want to know where we currently stand.

At least they agreed that the HTB against Melch in front of goals after he copped 2 high tackles was not correct.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I think the point you are disputing, whether it was in the back or in the side, was accepted by Gieschen as a push in the back.

Blog Entries
    The only thing I can think of is you're supposed to "hold" your opponent off then go for the ball. ie. fling yourself towards the ball.
    If Grundy bumped, then moved for the ball. I assume they call that a push?

It is very hard to understand from a spectator POV.
    I thought it was a fair bump and Grundy should have been paid the mark. I may have thought differently if it had happened at the other end of the ground.

Pushing for Selection
    Thanks ScottH. But if that is the difference in the interpretation, aren't we allowed to push in the side anyway? Not allowed in the back, but OK in the side as long as the ball is within 5m

Blog Entries
    Thanks ScottH. But if that is the difference in the interpretation, aren't we allowed to push in the side anyway? Not allowed in the back, but OK in the side as long as the ball is within 5m
    Side? Ask Goodesy?
    He's been pinged a number of times in the last 2 seasons for what looked like a legal push in the side.

I'm as confused as you are.

If only our mids and fwds knew how to kick/lead onto a chest mark, then this wouldn't be an issue.

Veteran Site Admin
    There is sometimes little difference between a player holding his ground so he is in best position to mark (or otherwise taking possession) and a push. Unless the push is clear, the umpire will often see the same thing - ie the opponent bounce off the player pushing / holding possession. The movement towards the other player (which could be construed as a push) is often very subtle.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I think the point you are disputing, whether it was in the back or in the side, was accepted by Gieschen as a push in the back.
    Thanks ugg, will have to go back and check both what he said and what the vision shows.

I haven't looked at the "what's your decision". Early last season I watched it twice and was that frustrated I wont watch it again. The decisions are generally reviewed with a view to justifying the decision based on technicalities of the rulebook. I think what everyone wants to see from the umpires is consistency. Looking at a decision in isolation can be misleading, sure it may be able to be justified by the rulebook but what about the others the same or worse that weren't paid.

I am missing something?
    i saw the incident and it was definitely legal and the replay pointed to it being legal. The problem was that the free was in a period when it was make or break and unfortunately it broke us. We had several frees paid against us even our forward line that were very dubious. That allowed St Kilda to get a run on and then we never got back. Grundy's infringement was not there!!! Bloody umpires doing what they want because they know we won't complain! John Longmire is weak as piss in this regard as Roos was not! He hasn't questioned one decision this year!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast