Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Roos officially announced as Melbourne Demons

I love Roosy but I think his ego is getting ahead of its self.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I love Roosy but I think his ego is getting ahead of its self.
    If it's true (I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but Richard publicly commenting on it makes me think there probably is some truth to it) I think that's probably a fair reading of the situation.

I've not hidden that I'm not Roos' greatest fan over the years on here, but this certainly does seem like "of course you can't do that, but I'm Roosy..."

Roos pushed the edge when he was with the Swans so hardly surprising that he is not going to do the same thing with the Demons - the media will lap it up

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Daughter was watching Ch 9 Footy Show and Matthew Lloyd was talking about the matter. He said that Lloyd Perris didn't want to go on the rookie list but thought he was good enough to go straight onto the senior list. Sydney were reluctant to do that, at which point Paul Roos said he'd be prepared to put him on the senior list in Melbourne. I don't know (and dtr can't recall) whether anyone pointed out that you can go on the senior list and never play a senior game.
    Did anyone else see/hear this? Can anyone add more detail?

- - - Updated - - -

Daughter was watching Ch 9 Footy Show and Matthew Lloyd was talking about the matter. He said that Lloyd Perris didn't want to go on the rookie list but thought he was good enough to go straight onto the senior list. Sydney were reluctant to do that, at which point Paul Roos said he'd be prepared to put him on the senior list in Melbourne. I don't know (and dtr can't recall) whether anyone pointed out that you can go on the senior list and never play a senior game.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I can see the point of wanting to put Perris on the rookie list. He looks a winner, but there are several rookies ahead of him in development, like Jake Lloyd, Biggs and BJ, so it would be unlikely for him to see much if any senior time next year. I'm sure you can pay more than the standard rookie contract if you want, so that shouldn't be the issue. We also will certainly want to elevate at least Rampe to the senior list. Surely more senior spots will open up after next season, so promotion to the senior list should not be a problem if performance warrants the upgrade.

Just wild about Harry
    The good news is that the whole AFL community will be on our side once Eddie comes out in support of us.

Alarm bells rang for me when Colless was on 'On The Couch' and said something to the effect "we think Paul has too much respect for the club to be trying to poach players or staff". It was a pretty pointed statement and it seems like it may have worked like a red rag to a bull for Roosy. How in hell were we paying him that much? And why wasnt there a clause regarding his poaching of players from the academy? Not many people remain at one club forever so was a bad miss by someone in charge.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by On-Baller View Post
    Alarm bells rang for me when Colless was on 'On The Couch' and said something to the effect "we think Paul has too much respect for the club to be trying to poach players or staff". It was a pretty pointed statement and it seems like it may have worked like a red rag to a bull for Roosy. How in hell were we paying him that much? And why wasnt there a clause regarding his poaching of players from the academy? Not many people remain at one club forever so was a bad miss by someone in charge.
    They trusted him to do the right thing by the Club.

He seems to have taken the opportunity to earn some easy points with the Demons by getting anyone he can get his paws on. Kennelly won't be any loss.

I'm sure you will find that whilst Roos is at the Demons he will never take any responsibility for poor performances.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    What clauses were you expecting to be in his Academy contract? At the time, as far as we knew and he told us, he never intended to coach again.

The fact is Perris will be ours if we want him. We put him on the senior list, end of story. Now if we want to put him on the rookie list then that's a different story altogether. Perris is more than within his rights to seek another club if he believes that's his best course for his career. Now if Melbourne are prepared to use, for example, their 3rd round pick on him that would indicate that Perris is talented enough to be on a senior list. (And speaking to a few who watch the U18 championships they think he's good enough). This in fact turns out to be some kind of unofficial bidding system. The problem for us is that spots on the senior list appear to be tight as things stand, and we may be forced to take Perris with a national draft pick and suffer the opportunity cost of picking another player.

The Swans usually don't mess around with the rookie list though. Once a player is deemed good enough to play senior football, he's been promoted to the senior list permanently the following year. This contrasts with the policy of a Carlton, who have been happy to stash away Ed Curnow on the rookie list for 3 straight years now even though he's played regularly in all those years and has racked up 49 games!

I guess i would want the clauses that no doubt the next in line will have. But your right he did seem to not want to coach again and there was no distrust so why would it be needed, but then again why will the next in line have that clause if its no big issue, guess they wont.

Settle petals....

Whether we like it or not Paul Roos is now being paid a serious amount of money to coach Melbourne Football Club who as we all know are fighting for their lives.

He must do everything within the rules of the game to make them successful. If that means recruiting a player such as Perris then so be it. If we rate him so highly then draft him! If he poaches some coaching staff without breaching any employment law then so be it.

Do we seriously expect Roosy to expect 100% from the Demons when he isn't prepared to cut his ties of loyalty to the Swans.

In many ways I see this a smart move by the Roos. Get Colless angry (not hard to do really) as a symbolic statement that he is now a Demon and he is prepared to be ruthless if need be. How can he possibly look someone in the eye down there and demand more commitment when he is not doing the same thing himself.

Anyone that slags Roos off over this needs to take a cold shower and a good look at themselves given his legacy to this club

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post

Anyone that slags Roos off over this needs to take a cold shower and a good look at themselves given his legacy to this club
    Well following on with your theory, we should put Cresswell in charge of accounts. Good loyal Swans servant.

There is such a thing called "ethics" that you forgot to mention. Roos was not alone in bringing the 2005 premiership although he took all the credit. In light of the last 8 years, I think Lyons and Longmire had something to do with it.

Did any other "loyal" ex Swan find the need to get Colless angry?

The sooner he goes to Melbourne and takes his stupid statue with him the better. I could never understand why it was built in his honour anyway.

Yes, yes, he won a premiership. What about a stature for the men that saved the Swans from extinction?

In 2014, I'm looking forward to "supercoach" at the Demons and all the excuses he will use to divert any blame from his own inadequacy.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast