Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Roos officially announced as Melbourne Demons

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Roos, Colless and Hall all in the ring to sort it out like real men.
    Real men talk things over and sort things out amicably and even apologise when they're in the wrong.

Suspended by the MRP
    Come on Dosser, this is a serious discussion! We don't want Paul feeling bitter towards the club like a Kevin Bartlett did towards Richmond for all those years!

Someone needs to mediate this situation!

Just wild about Harry
    Sorry, I will resume with appropriate gravitas as I know how important this discussion is to the outcome.

Suspended by the MRP
    No worries Dosser! I think Barry Hall would have the better of a mediation session in the ring!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Come on Dosser, this is a serious discussion! We don't want Paul feeling bitter towards the club like a Kevin Bartlett did towards Richmond for all those years!

Someone needs to mediate this situation!
    Agree. Roos was an integral part of our success as was Colless. I wouldn't like to see the Bartlett scenario. Let's hope common sense prevails. Everyone makes mistakes. Our culture is built on the no dickheads policy.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    I don't agree with not letting an employee leave for a more senior role at another club. It also wont foster the best harmony internally if employees feel they are held to their contracts should better opportunities arise (talking admin/coaching staff). A strong stand by the club but I don't agree with it. I feel the decision was made so that Roos doesn't get his way. Wrong motive.
    Hmm.. without knowing the full story I'd be inclined to agree with this. An article I read this morning implies that Dew made first contact - in which case I wouldn't stand in his way - why would you hang on to someone who doesn't want to be there?

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Picking up on earlier comments, I don't think it would be too much of a climbdown for Richard to apologise for going public instead of taking it up with Paul privately. I'm sure we all regret things said in the heat of the moment. In private, Colless can be as hostile as he likes and Roos needs to acknowledge that the reaction is understandable.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

The only way you can really judge is to know exactly who made which approach to whom and when, what prior commitments had the club made to them and vice versa. In the absence of that, it's hard to really care about this storm in a teacup.

Sounds like a the 'Clash of the Protocols' to me.

Under normal circumstances it would be proper for the Swans to allow Dew to apply for a better position. On the other hand, when you are legend of a club, you shouldn't even consider taking personnel that you know your former employer view highly. Roos should not be considering Dew for the job, even if he deserves it. He has to expect the sort of reaction he received. Former employers don't like being raided.

As for the Perris situation, I don't think Roos should be advising any Swans' academy player to consider not player for the Swans given his former position, for which he was paid very well.

Roos has always played the cool and cagey character that has helped sustain his lofty status. I don't think he's played this one very well. He is a highly respected football personality and a very rich man, on his way to become a lot richer. There are 16 other clubs to plunder. He didn't have to choose the one where he made his legacy.

He's managed to play the Melbourne coaching situation so well that it got to the point where every pundit was saying he was the one and only saviour, extorting the AFL to bankroll an outrageous salary to coach a bankrupt club. I can't imagine that other coaches would be too pleased about that, nor the clubs that have to pick up the tab.

Perhaps, like James Hird, he became intoxicated by his own publicity.

I haven't lost respect for Roos, but don't think he's played this one well. He could have kept the pigeons from crapping on stature.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Given our season finished on Saturday, is it likely the wires were crossed and that Dew was refused permission to interview until after the season was over. Although I note reports have said Tudor interviewed for the Lions job.

I understand Dew leaving for greater opportunities but what is the point of a contract if it is not upheld? It's the same with players too. Unless they have a clause of a mutual agreement to leave they should stick it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Sounds like a the 'Clash of the Protocols' to me.

Under normal circumstances it would be proper for the Swans to allow Dew to apply for a better position. On the other hand, when you are legend of a club, you shouldn't even consider taking personnel that you know your former employer view highly. Roos should not be considering Dew for the job, even if he deserves it. He has to expect the sort of reaction he received. Former employers don't like being raided.

As for the Perris situation, I don't think Roos should be advising any Swans' academy player to consider not player for the Swans given his former position, for which he was paid very well.

Roos has always played the cool and cagey character that has helped sustain his lofty status. I don't think he's played this one very well. He is a highly respected football personality and a very rich man, on his way to become a lot richer. There are 16 other clubs to plunder. He didn't have to choose the one where he made his legacy.

He's managed to play the Melbourne coaching situation so well that it got to the point where every pundit was saying he was the one and only saviour, extorting the AFL to bankroll an outrageous salary to coach a bankrupt club. I can't imagine that other coaches would be too pleased about that, nor the clubs that have to pick up the tab.

Perhaps, like James Hird, he became intoxicated by his own publicity.

I haven't lost respect for Roos, but don't think he's played this one well. He could have kept the pigeons from crapping on stature.
    Agreed - maybe the refusal on Dew is because he is to be the next annointed one