I would think that either Blake Acres or Jonathon Marsh would be available at pick 15. I like them both, but would lean toward Acres because of his versatility, although Marsh can play the third tall forward allowing Reid to play in defence.

I wouldn't spend pick 15 on a key defender. It's too hard to tell how they'll turn out. I actually think Gardiner looks a bit clunky and prefer either McStay or Cameron Giles, who should be available later in the draft.

At 25, Joel Tippett is unlitkely to go before pick 40, and is more likely not to be drafted. But could be a possibility for the rookie draft. Tippett is ready to go now, but we still have a couple of years to go before we need a key defender in earnest.

Despite this being called a below average draft, there seems to be a number of interesting prospects that should be available with our 3 picks 35, 39 and 44:

Jake Kolodjashnij: Brother of fraternal twin and top 10 prospect Kade. Is tall enough to be a key defender. Has many of the same qualities of his brother, but a bit bigger and slighly less agile because of it, but still very athletic.

Darcy Hourigan: Can play a key forward or defender, but probably not your no. 1. Is a tough, smart footballer who can take a strong mark and kick well. Has a bit of Tim Membrey about him but a few cmtrs. taller.

Tom Cutler: A tall midfielder that will probably be suited for a rebounding defender. Good agility and skills.

Jarrad Jansen: A big bodied midfielder that can play anywhere on the ground. Quick and skillfull. A bit like Acres, but not expected to go before pick 30.

Eli Templeton: Versatile and skillful Tasmanian Midfielders with Dyson Heppell Hairdo.

Ben Sokol: Fwd/Mid with elite endurance. Luke Parker body type and attitude.

Tom Langdon Def/Mid: 19 yo who missed being drafted last year. A solid player with a good all around game. Someone who can play a Mattner type role in defence or go forward and kick goals.

Max King: 2 mtr tall ruck forward from NSW. Might be zoned for GWS, but if so, will probably pass. Amazingly not at all unco for his size, in fact a very agile player. Looks a good prospect and worth a rookie pick at least.

Ben Brown: Athletic 21 yo ruck forward that might be a good option for a backup ruckman next year with some real long term potential. Looks ahead of Naismith at this point. Worth a look at pick 44.

Well, there's 13 names that we should have a reasonable shot at with our picks. I focused mostly on defenders and utilities and avoided mid sized to small midfielders and forwards, as we already have a few of those in development.

I think this draft flattens out a lot after the first round, so a pick in the 20s may not be worth much more than one in the 30s. There still will be some reasonable picks into the 40s.