Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Cost of Buddy?

Intents and purposes

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Franklin is the forward line at the moment. We had no forward structure at all last week. We need to at very least have a structure up forward, so when we bomb it in aimlessly, there is a hope it will go somewhere where its better than 3 on 1 up there.

Of course we are undermanned up front, everyone can see that. But its no excuse for a complete lack of structure, and playing a game plan to get it work right. If every team used the excuses we are using at the moment, you'd think noone would win football games. Good teams make do, as we did at times in 2012 and definitely 2005, with the parts they have available. They adapt their game to suit what they have, not sit around yearning for the better days.

You are right - we need to get a couple of gritty wins across the next fortnight - something we needed to do in Rd 1 and 2 but couldn't get close to doing. If not, our season will, for all intensive purposes, be over before it really begun.

We play the Crows, North and Freemantle over the next three weeks. If we could be 2 Wins, 3 losses from our first five weeks with some good news on the physiotherapy table, that would be a satisfactory result.

Hopefully after round five we get some guys returing to great form and some returning players to bolster the team.

Just wild about Harry
    I have only seen the first half against the Pies so far this year but I noticed one passage of play that rang alarm bells for me. It occurred as one of the Swans players (cant remember who) handballed to Buddy and then stood there with Buddy under pressure. Buddy handballed back again and the player just sent it straight back to Buddy who was collared and the Pies ran off with the ball.
    I am wondering if a couple of the players are in awe of Buddy and think that they just have to give it to him and he will do the rest (or maybe I am being naive and there is an element of the Brisbane Bears/Warwick Capper scenario here)? I am hoping that if any, it is the former, however these players must realise that Buddy isnt going to win a game by himself - they all still need to put in their best effort and not take their foot off the pedal just because they gave the ball to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    We play the Crows, North and Freemantle over the next three weeks. If we could be 2 Wins, 3 losses from our first five weeks with some good news on the physiotherapy table, that would be a satisfactory result.

Hopefully after round five we get some guys returing to great form and some returning players to bolster the team.
    From the position we are in, 2-3 would be an ok result. But from the draw we've had, in my opinion its far from a pass mark. Despite our ongoing crappy injury story, I'd say 95% of people on here would of expected us to be at worst 3-2 after 5 rounds, probably 4-1 would represent a pass mark for most before the season started. Hawthorn are missing plenty of troops, including a large part of their defence, but they are still at 2-0 and looking reasonable.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    (or maybe I am being naive and there is an element of the Brisbane Bears/Warwick Capper scenario here)?
    No. Just no. From the second quarter on both teams had shockers, Sydney more so considering the advantage they had. The one play you mention involving Buddy, while I don't recall that one if you watch the whole game, you'll see it repeated (EDIT: amongst other Swans not involving Buddy).
    Last edited by billyboob; 4th April 2014 at 04:49 PM.

Jed Lamb missed the cut again this week.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    From the position we are in, 2-3 would be an ok result. But from the draw we've had, in my opinion its far from a pass mark. Despite our ongoing crappy injury story, I'd say 95% of people on here would of expected us to be at worst 3-2 after 5 rounds, probably 4-1 would represent a pass mark for most before the season started. Hawthorn are missing plenty of troops, including a large part of their defence, but they are still at 2-0 and looking reasonable.
    Fremantle are down by 57 points to the Hawks at half time. Fremantle are missing Fyfe, Barlow and Michael Johnson amongst others. Just like the Swans, when you have your better players out, you will struggle. Having a healthy list is imperative to have success in this league.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Fremantle are down by 57 points to the Hawks at half time. Fremantle are missing Fyfe, Barlow and Michael Johnson amongst others. Just like the Swans, when you have your better players out, you will struggle. Having a healthy list is imperative to have success in this league.
    Hawthorn missing Hodge, Sewell, Lake, Schoenmakers, McEvoy and Stratton. And of course someone named Franklin from last year's GF team.

I swear I saw #37 running around in the purple

Fremantle are missing Fyfe, Barlow and Michael Johnson amongst others....
    You are quite correct, Johnson is missing, but he is playing...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    You are quite correct, Johnson is missing, but he is playing...
    Sorry guys. I heard a story that he was not on the team flight from Perth.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    Intents and purposes
    attentive porpoises
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

As ugg said, look at hawthorn. Didnt have a ruckman for last night and still flogged last years grand finalist. Injuries in my opinion are only an excuse if you make them an excuse. Certainly no excuse for our 2 feeble attempts so far against mediocre teams at best.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast