Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes Round 17 V Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by Melb Blood Bro View Post
    IIn relation to Tippett. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was left out of the team last week, firstly as a precaution and secondly due to the heavy track and they didnt want to go in too tall. Any thoughts on my theory?
    Spot on, I would say. I'm a bit surprised that people are making so much of it, actually - it seemed clearly tactical to me. It's no coincidence that West Coast also omitted a
    tall in Natanui.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    The electric pace of BJ, Rohan and Cunningham provided 31 possessions and 17 tackles. The dawdling pace of Kennedy, Parker and Bird provided 85 possessions and 23 tackles. Electric pace doesn't necessarily get you the ball or effect a tackle. It is nice to have some pace in the team, but sometimes there can be too much emphasis on it. Just get me the ball anyway you can.

Besides thought you would like to see Mitchell in the team and firing to increase his trade value.
    Mitchell is a good tackler in tight like Kennedy, Parker and Bird. Most of their tackling comes in tight and congested situations, usually straight after a ruckmans hit out. The bulk and strength of Mitchell, Kennedy, Parker and Bird becomes valuable in those tight situations

It's a different skill altogether to be able to tackle well in space when the ball is in the forward line. You need eclectic pace to apply tackling and forward pressure in the forward line. There are guys like Chris Yarren, Brodie Smith and Marley Williams who look to expose their opponents with run out of the backline. When those guys see Cunningham, Lloyd, B. Jack or Rohan approaching them, things don't seem as easy and their possessions become rushed.

Everyone has different roles to make the team balance work. The balance has worked perfectly for 11 games. It remains to be seen whether adding another good in an under midfielder without electric pace will benefit or hinder the team balance.

Senior Player
    In keen to see the injury update. That will be tonight right? (Tuesday night)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Mitchell is a good tackler in tight like Kennedy, Parker and Bird. Most of their tackling comes in tight and congested situations, usually straight after a ruckmans hit out. The bulk and strength of Mitchell, Kennedy, Parker and Bird becomes valuable in those tight situations

It's a different skill altogether to be able to tackle well in space when the ball is in the forward line. You need eclectic pace to apply tackling and forward pressure in the forward line. There are guys like Chris Yarren, Brodie Smith and Marley Williams who look to expose their opponents with run out of the backline. When those guys see Cunningham, Lloyd, B. Jack or Rohan approaching them, things don't seem as easy and their possessions become rushed.

Everyone has different roles to make the team balance work. The balance has worked perfectly for 11 games. It remains to be seen whether adding another good in an under midfielder without electric pace will benefit or hinder the team balance.
    I assume you meant 'electric' not 'ecletic' pace?

pace is only useful when the players also get enough of the ball. You want players with pace to use their skills with space. When it is in close, pace can help (look how well jetta has improved in tight situations), but pace is not necessarily a defining factor. Cunningham has shown this year big time the big value of his pace, and I'd love to see Rohan having such an impact sooner rather than later. Cunningham has time and again been a great outlet due to his pace, or drawn players out to create space for others. rohan was doing the same before that idiot from North did what he did - I hope he can get to the same place soon.

I think the 'lack of pace' issue is a key reason why for so long, so many in the media thought we were great at the SCG, but useless on the bigger grounds.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Do you think there might be a couple of changes this week to help freshen up the team after a trip to Perth and a six day break? Derrickx for Pyke maybe? Mitchell or Hewett for Lloyd? Towers for Rohan or Brandon Jack?

Hard to drop Lloyd because of the 'lucky charm effect.' But he could be the sub.

KJ was the one who looked a bit worn out on Sunday, so perhaps we could bring in Tom Mitchell (45 possies in the reserves) for him. It would be good to get Tom back in the senior side again. KJ seems to be the mid other teams like to tag and Curnow is a good tagger. He shut out Montagna which is hard to do. Maybe we should save him the angst and get him ready for the Hawthorn game.

I suspect that the Tippett 'knee soreness' was just the standard excuse for too many talls on a wet day, but we should find out more this arvo with the injury report. Maybe there will be some clarification on the whether Zak will be given the week off as well.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Hard to drop Lloyd because of the 'lucky charm effect.' But he could be the sub.

KJ was the one who looked a bit worn out on Sunday, so perhaps we could bring in Tom Mitchell (45 possies in the reserves) for him. It would be good to get Tom back in the senior side again. KJ seems to be the mid other teams like to tag and Curnow is a good tagger. He shut out Montagna which is hard to do. Maybe we should save him the angst and get him ready for the Hawthorn game.

I suspect that the Tippett 'knee soreness' was just the standard excuse for too many talls on a wet day, but we should find out more this arvo with the injury report. Maybe there will be some clarification on the whether Zak will be given the week off as well.
    Unless KJ isn't fit to play, don't understand why we would rest him. Even if he is the target of a tag and that keeps him quiet, it just means one of our other top liners won't get shut out instead. The whole team has a week off after Saturday's game. They can have their rest then.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Unless KJ isn't fit to play, don't understand why we would rest him. Even if he is the target of a tag and that keeps him quiet, it just means one of our other top liners won't get shut out instead. The whole team has a week off after Saturday's game. They can have their rest then.
    Agreed...good luck trying to tell someone like him that he's missing a week to freshen up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

What does the guy have to do to get a first-team call-up?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Tippett has just been ruled out for this week. I think if the weather remains dry Derickx might be a chance of coming in to give Pyke a chop out. Rohan could move to the backline to replace Jones if young Zak is ruled out through concussion.

Tippett is a monster when he's playing. Really not seeing him enough : (

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Tippett has just been ruled out for this week.
    Article - Tippett out of SCG clash with Carlton
    -

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast