Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Carlton Blues game day

Senior Player
    That's pretty normal for mick

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I suspect there would have been no spray at all. The first half was wet and the Blues contested hard. The rain stopped before half time and the Blues soon after. It never looked like we'd lose but the 3rd quarter was magic.
    Horse looked pretty animated at times in the first half - I always like the idea of a big spray to fire the team up, but I suspect it is being quite sparingly used in the modern, professional game.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Rohan, Towers, BJ, Cunningham, electrifying space. 2 tackles.
    Ahmen.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Yep, watching from ground level our forward structures in the first half were a mess. Buddy was too deep and no one was providing alternative targets/space by leading into the pockets.

I'll have to watch the replay but I thought Dean Towers was pretty poor. Often caught in no man's land between two opposition players, needs to keep his feet and slot goals when given the opportunity.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    The big difference for me in the third qtr was buddy played a lot further up the ground instead of deep in full forward. The deep forward role was rotated between goodes Reid and the midfield. The structure worked much better
    I could not tell from the tv on the structure, but Buddy at CHF is still within range! The 18 - 3 inside 50's in the 3rd QRT was huge - especially the way we were converting.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    I'll have to watch the replay but I thought Dean Towers was pretty poor. Often caught in no man's land between two opposition players, needs to keep his feet and slot goals when given the opportunity.
    I don't think he was great, but I think first gamers get a bit of leniency from the coaches.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Towers is not a natural forward, too much ball watching, not enough leading and then a poor finisher to boot. For the role he was playing tonight which was quite deep forward, he did not get many chances to show off his natural pace. In fact, with that kind of role in mind surely Membrey would have been a better option.
    Last edited by ugg; 13th July 2014 at 01:12 AM.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Longmire confirmed in the press conference that he didn't want to participate in the IR series because of Eddie, but didn't want to comment further.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We lost the tackle count that quarter.

Attachment 1054
    Ludwig I've split my sides all day with your contributions. You must have a library of horse photos - and too much time on your hands! Keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Towers is not a natural forward, too much ball watching, not enough leading and then a poor finisher to boot. For the role he was playing tonight which was quite deep forward, he did not get many chances to show off his natural pace. In fact, with that kind of role in mind surely Membrey would have been a better option.
    Completely agree. I thought they brought him in to run off half back (as a Shaw/Jones replacement) but he looked lost up forward. Membrey would have been a much better choice.

In the first half I thought we tried to play too much of a scrapping game and played into Carlton's hands. Our natural game is to hit the pack hard and get the ball out. This happened in the third. I thought the forst half was played on their terms not ours. The last was a bit of a scrap too although I also thought we attacked well for little reward. We broke them open in the third because we were able to get free players and totally outpace them. To all the people who thought Towers did not play well. He had a few very good plays and some of his handball gives were wonderful. He let himself down with a couple of very loose kicks but all in all he was ok. I would have liked to see him played further up the ground as he is not a natural crumber, more a lead up mark or running forward that plays up to the wing. I thought we could have used the resting rovers deep not the Towers. Like the match ups in the back line in the first half i thought the coaches got that wrong. What idiot thought Teddy would be a good match on Casbolt? grundy on Henderson? @@@@ me they were definitely on the wrong men. Teddy was getting killed in the air and Reg was getting run around the ground, not Reg's favourite thing. I am glad after half time they changed that. But I thought they might have moved Towers up and put the rovers back.

By the way I think the umpies are trying to even the game up for the telly. There were so many moments in that game that free kicks were given and I was left scratching my head. The other thing is the ones that were not given as in all the throws or incorrect disposal. In the first half there had to be at least 20 of these that went unpaid. I know this sounds like bitching for no reason but I just think the umpies are being told to go easy on some of the bottom sides because they have a big following. Melbourne for instance do not get treated the same way by the umpies than Carlton. Carlton have a huge supporter base whereas Melbourne do not.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast