Thread: Round 13 vs Geelong at SCG, Sunday 9 June 2024, 3:20 PM

Senior Player

Round 13 vs Geelong at SCG, Sunday 9 June 2024, 3:20 PM

An 8 point game, 1st vs 3rd, and a chance to cement top four or top two for the finals!

It seems teams often perform badly after a bye, but lets hope we can buck this trend.

With favourable other results, we could see GWS and Carlton into the top four at the expense of Geelong and Port Adelaide. Then Fremantle push the Bombers out the following week

Ins: McCartin

Outs: Francis

Without wanting to get ahead of myself, I think there are few teams that look like genuine rivals to the Swans at this stage. And they are all outside the top 4

Pies
    Blues
    Dogs

Happy for the top 4 to continue to consist of teams I feel we’ve got the measure of.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    It seems teams often perform badly after a bye, but lets hope we can buck this trend.
    In fact, once scheduling and expected wins are taken into account, there's no evidence for poorer performance after a bye. Except for Geelong!

The Post-Bye Effect: Fact or Fallacy?

AFL: post-bye results

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Without wanting to get ahead of myself, I think there are few teams that look like genuine rivals to the Swans at this stage. And they are all outside the top 4

Pies
    Blues
    Dogs

Happy for the top 4 to continue to consist of teams I feel we’ve got the measure of.
    Sydney has not beaten Port Adelaide since 2016. Of all the teams currently in the top 8, this is the team I most want to beat.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Sydney has not beaten Port Adelaide since 2016. Of all the teams currently in the top 8, this is the team I most want to beat.
    Feels to me like 2024 is the year to finally beat them

Veterans List
    Ladder fate in our own hands this week. Winning has really big benefits, particularly with several other contenders playing each other as well.
    Last edited by 707; 5th June 2024 at 11:38 PM.

Senior Player
    Read an article last night (can’t recall from where) that said we are minus -28 in clearances for the year when Gulden attends the centre bounce.

Interesting stat, and they suggested Papley should attend more CBA as we are closer to even when he has been there this year.

Wonder why that is, is Gulden replacing Rowbottom in the CBA and we are not getting the same tackling pressure?

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    I know any win at AFL level is hard earned, but the last time we played at Geelong's oval.they beat us by 93 points. If the boys feel like giving some payback, I wont mind.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/06/...e-sydney-even/ This is that article. I would be interested in seeing what % of Gulden's centre bounces were with Grundy and what % were with McLean. It could be just as simple(r) case of not being in there with the better ruckman.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Feels to me like 2024 is the year to finally beat them
    Who knows, it could be like 2012 when the first win we had over Collingwood since 2005 was in a final. We also beat Adelaide in a final that year (another bogey team) and Hawthorn.

This is the kind of win to look out for: wins over teams we've struggled with.

Current list, last 5 games, 50% or lower: Brisbane 1-4, Geelong 2-2-1, Port Adelaide 0-5.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Interesting to see Cleary named on the extended bench - not sure that he'll get a run, but a good sign for him.

TEAM: Squad named to face Geelong