While agree with much of MP's assessment, particularly with regard to Hewitt and Newman, l thought BJ lost some ground to others looking to step up. Mills came into the game late but I thought Towers was very effective and made in roads against all comers. His tackling and defensive pressure in the absence of Rohan, McVeigh and McGlynn was outstanding.

I thought the most pleasing aspects were the attitudes of Tippett and Franklin. Both played flat out and when Reid was on the field they were unstoppable.

Saw something I thought didn't need to be on display in an intra-match when Sinclair clipped Sam Murray high and late, then followed up with bad mouthing and attitude. Didn't mind the aggression but if it had been a bit more evident during the GF, it would have been a lot more convincing.

Only injury concern was Sam Reid with what looked to be precautionary treatment for a corked thigh and a bloody nose for Tom Mitchell after an incident with AA.

Interesting exchange near Red dugout when Rampe (then playing for the red team) allowed a ball to go out and Blackey the Reds coach gave him an earful for not trying harder to win the ball outright.

With respect to Mills I thought he took some time to pick up the pace of the game and was caught out of position a number of times but toward the end of the evening was carrying the white defence and looked more comfortable. Although touted for his tackling, he attempted a "ball and all" tackle on Joey early in the first half, when Kennedy owned the footy, and got tossed away with a shrug of the shoulders. Lesson learned.

Parker looked fully recovered and KJ looked great as well, might have picked up a slight injury late in game.

Enjoyed Abe Davis' efforts as the only effective white target he presented well all night. Once again Nankervis disappointed with his consistency and unless he can become more involved more often may have limited oppourtunities going forward.

Really liked O'Riordan and Leondaris, absolutely raw but relentless and I would thought very coachable.

Best of the Academy top up players was one of the smallest in Ben Wilson (57), pace to burn and linked up beautifully for an entry into red's forward line early but his kicking needs to improve.