Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 4 V Adelaide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Choosing Leonardis as one of the travelling emergencies implies that no one is under an injury cloud and we can expect the selected side to play, unless someone goes down on the day. Leonardis hasn't done anything to earn selection, so it's more to give him the experience of the away game routine.
    Usually only 1 or two of the named emergencies travel to Adelaide. I've never seen all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Usually only 1 or two of the named emergencies travel to Adelaide. I've never seen all 3.
    As Ugg has already pointed out, Jones has been named in the ressies squad, while the other 2 have not. We usually travel with 1 ruckman and another player. So it looks to be Nanka and Leo this week.

There's no point in naming Macca if he wasn't fit to play. He's been training for a while. The only question was whether he would play in the reserves or the seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Choosing Leonardis as one of the travelling emergencies implies that no one is under an injury cloud and we can expect the selected side to play, unless someone goes down on the day. Leonardis hasn't done anything to earn selection, so it's more to give him the experience of the away game routine.
    Having said that, they wouldn't be naming him there if they were not happy with him and he seems like the sort of kid who responds well to some positive re-enforcement.

Well done Tyrone for knuckling down and making a go of your AFL career.

Having McGlynn, off 1 senior game, and McVeigh , off nothing for 7 months....In a big game, which is sure to be fast and intense....That's a big risk IMO.

I don't like players being given the call on playing or not...They all hate missing games.

It's a no brainer, they'll nearly always think they're ready.

It should be a coach and selection committee decision, made with clear unemotional thinking.

I do like the selection of Tyrone Leonardis as an emergency, love the way he moves and delivers the footy, he looks a really good prospect to me.
    Last edited by ernie koala; 15th April 2016 at 09:51 AM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Leonardis! Probably the most interesting part of the team announcement. You can argue the toss on the changes, but they're not unreasonable or surprising.

I wonder if it's a bit of a "horses for courses" situation with Towers that saw him dropped last week and recalled this.

Actually I think it was a bad selection decision that gets young Georgie dropped. They played him on Heath Shaw, the most experienced backman in the GWS side. Not only that Georgie was never going to be able to match Shaw's pace. Towers or Rose on the other hand could.

No Jones to give away stupid and unnecessary frees. Good news.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Having McGlynn, off 1 senior game, and McVeigh , off nothing for 7 months....In a big game, which is sure to be fast and intense....That's a big risk IMO.

I don't like players being given the call on playing or not...They all hate missing games.

It should be a coach and selection committee decision, made with clear unemotional thinking.
    Hello, am a new member but have been lurking and reading posts for a while.

I think the coach and match committee did go through their processes and did make a decision without emotion when they left it up to JM to made the final call.

They balanced the prospect of him performing badly and the risk of not getting 4 PP with managing the club's relationship with their co-captain who has done so many things right for the club over many years, trusting his judgement (just as they do on the footy field) and to provide some extra leadership to the younger players. The committee trust JM to make the right call as the onus for him to get it right is much higher as the co-captain and role model for the younger players. They made a calculated risk just like when they go the opposite way and keep someone in the 2s longer and give a younger less experienced player the senior spot, or play someone who is sore but not clearly injured.

One of the reasons I have supported the Swans for so many years is they rarely get the people management and player development side wrong whilst still being so successful on the field as well.

That said, I would have preferred JM to play himself in the 2s like Goodes did when he was given the green vest multiple times last year.

Hope JM plays well of course to prove us all wrong!

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Hello, am a new member but have been lurking and reading posts for a while.

I think the coach and match committee did go through their processes and did make a decision without emotion when they left it up to JM to made the final call.

They balanced the prospect of him performing badly and the risk of not getting 4 PP with managing the club's relationship with their co-captain who has done so many things right for the club over many years, trusting his judgement (just as they do on the footy field) and to provide some extra leadership to the younger players. The committee trust JM to make the right call as the onus for him to get it right is much higher as the co-captain and role model for the younger players. They made a calculated risk just like when they go the opposite way and keep someone in the 2s longer and give a younger less experienced player the senior spot, or play someone who is sore but not clearly injured.

One of the reasons I have supported the Swans for so many years is they rarely get the people management and player development side wrong whilst still being so successful on the field as well.

That said, I would have preferred JM to play himself in the 2s like Goodes did when he was given the green vest multiple times last year.

Hope JM plays well of course to prove us all wrong!
    Welcome on board Maltopia.

We don't know exactly what Macca's fitness level is and as you have mentioned the match committee obviously trust his experienced judgement on where he is at. Hopefully Macca made the right choice for himself and the team.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I'm not sure Cal Sinclair travelled with the team :-/

Leonardis & Nanker did tho

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I'm not sure Cal Sinclair travelled with the team :-/

Leonardis & Nanker did tho
    Bit hard to miss him

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post

I agree with all that.

I will be watching McVeigh closely...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Actually I think it was a bad selection decision that gets young Georgie dropped. They played him on Heath Shaw, the most experienced backman in the GWS side. Not only that Georgie was never going to be able to match Shaw's pace. Towers or Rose on the other hand could.
    While I'm sad to see George dropped I'm sure he will be back not too long from now. He was involved in what was one of my favourite passages of play in the 3rd quarter of the GWS game. If anyone wants to see a peek into the future of the Swans, check out the play with about 3min 20secs to go in the 3rd quarter. Hewett gains possession right on the boundary in the back 50, passes to Papley who gets the ball to Robinson who makes a cool move before getting the ball to Buddy for a goal. When we watched it live at the game my Dad & I looked at each other and both said "Our future is bright".

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast