Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Ladder Position

Great graph neilfws. You must have a fantastic player database. Do you have to subscribe to Champion Data or something like that?

BTW, i'm working on a product comparison review of condoms and was wondering if I could use your graph free of copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    So glad you asked. First question: for which group of players? I'd suggest we use all players who've played in a senior game this year. To date, 651 players from the 18 teams, 34 from the Swans.

Behold the "violin plot", where the shape of the orange blob gives you some idea of age distribution. GWS for example have a young bulge near the lower end, whereas North tapers up to Brent Harvey.

Attachment 1594

Our median age is 23.7 years. This is below the league median (black dashed line) of 24.4 years. The range is 22.3 years (Brisbane) up to 26.2 years (West Coast).

It's funny how mode is the one everyone remembers from high school stats, and the least useful But since you ask, 23 years for the Swans (5 players currently).
    Wow, look at GWS.
    Brisbane isn't really relevant as they are going to probably lose the bulk of their skilled youngsters...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Great graph, Neil! Very interesting. To me it shows:

* Geelong's time is now! (Doesn't mean they will win but, thanks especially to their last trade season, they have invested heavily in the next couple of flag tilts and risk falling away afterwards - or not.)
    * If GWS isn't (aren't?) scary good already, they are going to be amazing (but I guess we already knew that)
    * West Coast's age profile is the most worrying of the lot - so little investment in youth. Fremantle is next oldest (maybe - I suppose the averages may be different to the medians) but better off because they have a much more even spread of ages (pity for them they don't have more talent on their list). I guess that means the Eagles time is now too. Only it doesn't seem like it is going to be a golden age.

I think our main rival for the flag is Adelaide; I have rated them ever since they beat us is in that excellent game at Adelaide earlier this season where I was expecting we would beat them but instead was left very impressed by their game. Don Pyke has had a very impressive debut year and they will be in the finals up to their eyeballs. I am quite happy with the prospect of playing Hawks week 1. Gives us a chance to have revenge on them (and I think we deserve favouritism) but, if we lose, we're not out and can bounce back. Likewise, if we and Adelaide win home QFs week 1 of finals, I reckon we're a great chance of beating our PF opponent. And if all that goes to plan, I'll be very buoyant about our flag prospects!!

Goes up to 11
    BTW Champion Data are recruiting match day stats people next year if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    GWS for example have a young bulge near the lower end...
    neilfws, is this what you mean?

gws.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    BTW Champion Data are recruiting match day stats people next year if anyone is interested.
    Casual/Part-Time Crew Required for 2017 Season - Champion Data - AFL.com.au

Could be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    I was originally excited about finishing 1st/2nd until I hear about the Bye. Which could mean if we win our first Finals game we will have played 1 game in 3 weeks! Given our poor post-Bye record, I believe this is a bit worry!! I am not sure how Horse and the team are going to overcome this problem?
    Good point. Didn't think of that.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    BTW, i'm working on a product comparison review of condoms and was wondering if I could use your graph free of copyright.
    Hah hah!
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Quote Originally Posted by iigrover View Post
    neilfws, is this what you mean?

gws.jpg
    Hah hah!

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    I was originally excited about finishing 1st/2nd until I hear about the Bye. Which could mean if we win our first Finals game we will have played 1 game in 3 weeks! Given our poor post-Bye record, I believe this is a bit worry!! I am not sure how Horse and the team are going to overcome this problem?
    They play an intra-Club full match, but obviously need to tread that fine line between ensuring this game helps them stay match fit vs avoiding injuries.

Awesome graph neilfws.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Great graph neilfws. You must have a fantastic player database. Do you have to subscribe to Champion Data or something like that?
    pretty sure data of that second type is out there somewhere...

Champion Data alas no, all my numbers come from the excellent afltables.com. For anyone interested, the graphs are generated using something called ggplot2, which is part of the R programming language (popular with the stats community).

I thought Geelong was interesting too, all that talk of ageing in recent years but seems they recruited cleverly.