Page 193 of 196 FirstFirst ... 93143183189190191192193194195196 LastLast
Results 2,305 to 2,316 of 2341

Thread: 2016 trading and drafting (merged thread)

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Hayward's impressive. AND he's used to wearing red and white!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Opti-pessi-misti
    I agree Hayward looks impressive. I am not sure he is physically mature enough for the team next year though. Thinking of Heeney in his first year getting battered and bruised and he was much stronger. This year I winced every time Mills got flattened and knocked around but somehow he always bounced up like a rubber ball. Papley too proved to be tough enough to survive and it was rather amazing that he was able to play so many games after only having the one preseason under his belt. Heeney and Mills had the advantage of being in the Academy. It might be a very tough ask to expect the same of Hayward but he seems to have the potential to have a Heeney type impact in the forward half as he develops which is exciting!

Veterans List
    I think it was Brett Anderson on SEN pre draft who said that the SA under 18 comp was pretty ordinary this year. Hayward looks like the pick of the bunch.

The fast mobile mid size but high marking HF are certainly creating a lot of flexibility in the transition part of the game as well as the forward entries ........ in comparison to who else was available at pick 21 and what we need I am stoked !

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Was an U18 game, the SANFL finals got very healthy numbers watching, I attended a couple myself, being a SOUTH Adelaide supporter. Also follow SOUTH Sydney Rabbitoh's and SOUTH Melbourne :-)
    It always intrigues me how the recruiters can pick talent when they only play at under 18 level. Further usually the talent comes from the dominant under 18 teams eg cannons, or north adelaide under 18s who played in the granny. I sometimes wonder what would happen if a Jake Brown played a full season in under 18s instead of NEAFL.

At the end of the day the recruiters study and analyse as a full time job, so they know what they doing, but it still intrigues me.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Maibaum looks a good size and shape for an 18yo KP player. U18AA to boot, could prove a bargain at that pick.
    I still find it hard to believe that Maibaum is only 18 years old?? He has some serious muscle definition for a 18 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I think it was Brett Anderson on SEN pre draft who said that the SA under 18 comp was pretty ordinary this year. Hayward looks like the pick of the bunch.
    It was an incredibly lean year for the South Australians. Jonty Scharenberg and Sam Walker missed both drafts after being touted as top 40 picks. Hayward was the highest draft pick from SA going at pick 21. Lewis Young, who could have easily dropped to the rookie draft, went to the Bulldogs at pick 49, while Larke Medal Jack winner Jack Graham slipped to pick 53. And that was it for SA. Hayward played in the all star game and looked good. He takes pack marks, kicks long and accurately, tackles and runs fast -- there's plenty to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I sometimes wonder what would happen if a Jake Brown played a full season in under 18s instead of NEAFL.
    Jake's chances of being drafted were severely hampered when his highlight reel was hacked and the first 3 minutes of a Lars von Trier movie was inserted in its place. I've seen the whole film. It was filled with anticipation, riveting and suspenseful.

Ludwig, there are only a few of us in the group of fans who have sat through a complete Lars von Trier film. No wonder Jake didn't get drafted.

[QUOTE=Ludwig;716333]It was an incredibly lean year for the South Australians. Jonty Scharenberg and Sam Walker missed both drafts after being touted as top 40 picks. Hayward was the highest draft pick from SA going at pick 21. Lewis Young, who could have easily dropped to the rookie draft, went to the Bulldogs at pick 49, while Larke Medal Jack winner Jack Graham slipped to pick 53. And that was it for SA. Hayward played in the all star game and looked good. He takes pack marks, kicks long and accurately, tackles and runs fast -- there's plenty to work with.

Interesting, SA had a lean year on the draft front yet beat everyone in the under 18 champs except Vic metro who just beat them by 3 points. I reckon the crow eaters have every right to be annoyed.

Veterans List
    A lot of SA guys were taken in the rookie draft. Be interesting to see if a heap of them kick on to prove they were wrongly rated in the ND or conversely if they get delisted it will prove the subtle art of underage ratings.

Another bit of draft trivia: The Swans have taken the final player in past 3 drafts -- Foote, O'Riordan and Pink. You would have to give Pink a shot at being a good find.