Page 106 of 267 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,272 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    Let us know what you think !
    Don't get me started on their bad points.....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I wonder if living in Adelaide is an issue?

Small-minded provincial city with an obsession about bloodlines, private schooling and lack of convict heritage along with a nasty little underbelly. Insufferable wine snobs and obsessives about social status.
    No issue with me, the most liveable city in Australia and under a hour to three or four excellent and each different wine regions.

Bit of a fishbowl for players which many don't like but some of the defections were to start up concession mega money at Gold Coast & GWS. Lever & McGovern both supposedly being offered $ well in excess of what Crows are offering so they will need to up there offers to get in the ballpark which I expect they'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I wonder if living in Adelaide is an issue?

Small-minded provincial city with an obsession about bloodlines, private schooling and lack of convict heritage along with a nasty little underbelly. Insufferable wine snobs and obsessives about social status.
    For someone under 30, there is not a lot going on in Adelaide. I used to work for a company with offices in Sydney and Adelaide. Every time I went to the Adelaide office, one by one the under 30 single people would ask me on the sly if I could find a job for them in Sydney.

Think it could be a huge factor for some players.

Senior Player
    If you look at the 20 players who have played the most games for GWS, 18 of them are still at the club.
    Of the other two, only Treloar is an absolute gun. Rhys Palmer is other one. This stat makes them look very stable.
    Even for the Suns, 15 of the 20 players who have played the most games for them are still there.
    There is always this sense with the expansion teams that players are just passing thru, but the reality seems to
    be that the better players (if you can judge it by how many games they play) are staying put, esp with GWS.
    I've never lived in Adelaide or Melbourne, so I don't really know what that is like on a long term basis, but you'd
    have to think living in Sydney with a very nice pay packet would have it's appeal to a 24 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We must stand united against the threats from the southern wastelands.

If you created a team from players who have left GWS, sun's, lions and swans it would be the most powerful side ever seen.
    Last edited by KTigers; 11th August 2017 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    No issue with me, the most liveable city in Australia and under a hour to three or four excellent and each different wine regions.

Bit of a fishbowl for players which many don't like but some of the defections were to start up concession mega money at Gold Coast & GWS. Lever & McGovern both supposedly being offered $ well in excess of what Crows are offering so they will need to up there offers to get in the ballpark which I expect they'll do.
    I was being a bit OTT and tongue in cheek there, I have been to Adelaide and it's fine, just a bit quiet really. I could understand why the players would like the glitz or Melbourne.

I think Adelaide are playing their trade cards very close to their chest. There's been a few whispers they may be a sleeper with Dusty and if that is the case then McGovern, whilst not exactly like for like, may not be able to be paid his $750K. Plus if they are in for Rockliff then they may well be happy to trade him for draft picks. What the Crows are reputedly offering McGovern there is no way he can stay and I wouldn't think they have huge cap issues.

Lever I just think they are trying to get their head around that a 21 year old defender, albeit a very promising one, is worth $800,000 a year. They may well refuse to pay that and let him go, not sure of the details of their list but KPDs seem to be replacable as a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    If you look at the 20 players who have played the most games for GWS, 18 of them are still at the club.
    Of the other two, only Treloar is an absolute gun. Rhys Palmer is other one. This stat makes them look very stable.
    Even for the Suns, 15 of the 20 players who have played the most games for them are still there.
    There is always this sense with the expansion teams that players are just passing thru, but the reality seems to
    be that the better players (if you can judge it by how many games they play) are staying put, esp with GWS.
    Too early to really start assessing GWS's retention policy one way or the other as they have until now been able to pay massive overs to these young kids due to the front ended contracts of the likes of Davis, Scully etc and the fact they had cap concessions. Combination of cap squeeze and free agency will test their list loyalty massively.

Hopper, Smith and of course Kelly are all getting big offers over what they can get at GWS, will be interesting to see what happens. GWS are still my pick for the flag, just not sure if that will hinder or facilitate movement. On one hand players want flags, on the other it's a box they have ticked

- - - Updated - - -

It sure is nice to sit and watch the player shenanigans being played out at other clubs secure in the knowledge all our required players for 2018 are locked up

Veterans List
    Like us, Crows have plenty of KPD. Think you're correct that they are a bit nonplussed that Lever is attracting offers like that. Reported here that McGovern is being offered 2 @ $370k whereas Freo 5 @ $750k. They are probably both not quite correct but are a long way apart.

I'm not sure who at Adelaide is getting the big dollars, reports indicate most are moderately paid or under paid on what they are worth on the Vic market so there can't be a cap problem. Suspect if they win the flag both may tick that off the bucket list and head home, but who really knows, some thought Jones and Reid were gone!

Senior Player
    I think some of these guys at GWS and the Suns will be like Sam Reid. They will meet some local young woman, whose family
    will be from Sydney or Qld, and this will be a huge influence over them, and their future plans. Just like it is for everyone else in society.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    ......If you created a team from players who have left GWS, sun's, lions and swans it would be the most powerful side ever seen.
    Not quite Barry but when you look at the mighty powerful side that is GWS now and then look who they have gleefully traded away, you can see that their start up concessions were well over the top. I've done a quick list of GWS still on other clubs lists this year, Barry, did you want to shuffle them into a logical looking team so we can assess how good the GWS discards team actually is?

Hampton
    Jaksch (dud)
    Lamb (so so)
    Marchbank
    Palmer (past it)
    Phillips
    Pickett (potential)
    Plowman
    Sumner (dud)
    Adams
    Treloar
    Stewart
    McCarthy
    Bugg (thug)
    Tyson
    Hombsch
    Miles (so so)
    Townsend (dud)
    Bruce
    Steele
    Giles
    Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Not quite Barry but when you look at the mighty powerful side that is GWS now and then look who they have gleefully traded away, you can see that their start up concessions were well over the top. I've done a quick list of GWS still on other clubs lists this year, Barry, did you want to shuffle them into a logical looking team so we can assess how good the GWS discards team actually is?

Hampton
    Jaksch (dud)
    Lamb (so so)
    Marchbank
    Palmer (past it)
    Phillips
    Pickett (potential)
    Plowman
    Sumner (dud)
    Adams
    Treloar
    Stewart
    McCarthy
    Bugg (thug)
    Tyson
    Hombsch
    Miles (so so)
    Townsend (dud)
    Bruce
    Steele
    Giles
    Boyd
    Were they over the top though?

I think the AFL strategy was, and it's one I agree with, that they had to give the two teams every chance of success and that if they gave two new markets two poor sides it would be a disaster.

The risk was that those concessions would be way too great and totally destroy the integrity of the comp for 5-10 years. I don't think that has happened, and I thought it might, because I think you can see GWS coming back to the pack. Everyone thought they'd romp it in this season but it hasn't happened. Market forces have started hitting their list massively and this could be their best chance to win a flag before they tail off, even if they do stay right up there they will be gradually weakened I believe. It is then up to them to start generating their own success.

I think the AFL actually got their concessions right.

Most of those players are discards from GWS but it does show their much vaunted recruitment was more of a turkey shoot rather than a piece of Silvagni brilliance

Veterans List
    Whilst I'm soaking up a little afternoon sun, here's more ex or slightly ex via shenanigan trades GWS players to add to the list

Ahern
    Jed Anderson
    Jamie Elliott

Agree that the recruiting by SOS had a lot of high draft pick failures, just the sheer weight of high picks made his total haul look good. Might do a list of SOS failures at GWS. His recruiting at Carlton handed over a number of high picks to GWS for what may an imbalance in return. I'll just move my chair here in the sun and get started on that SOS list :-)

'gleefully' gave up is total BS. They would have loved to keep treloar and any other half decent player.

The concessions were about right. Cynics only look at the advantages they were given, but ignore all the massive disadvantages a start up has in the first 10 years.

The dogs winning it last year is actually good for GWS, because it relieves a bit of pressure from the perennial failures of the comp.