Page 262 of 267 FirstFirst ... 162212252258259260261262263264265266 ... LastLast
Results 3,133 to 3,144 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Senior Player
    The interview with Johnson on the Swans site is interesting.

I could be reading too much into it, but it seems being dislisted surprised him and perhaps hurt him a little bit. Certainly he attested to anxiety.

He probably didn't play as well what either he or the club would have liked (expected?) after he returned. So they're thinking: what's the reason for that? Fitness or touch? Or won't he get it back?

It seems like neither he nor the club really know. Given that, the club's decision to delist him and re-rookie him is pragmatic, makes sense. But there is something a little disappointing about it though. Like this should have been a matter above pragmatism. And he seems disappointed too. Mentioned that this approach could have exposed him to being picked up by another club.

To his credit and as we'd expect from him he's clearly training hard and will make sure he does everything he physically can to get back.

I really hope he does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    The drafting of McCartin is forward planning to the extreme. As hard it is for me to think about, Buddy will not be Buddy forever. He will be 31 by rd 1 next year. By Rd 1 2021, Buddy will be 34 but Blakey and McCartin will have both just turned 21. Armatey and Cameron will be the projected ruck/forwards IF one of them works out.
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    The interview with Johnson on the Swans site is interesting. ................ the club's decision to delist him and re-rookie him is pragmatic, makes sense.
    The club�s decision to delist AJ and re-rookie him is pragmatic and does makes sense - and given the new rookie rules it still allows him to play senior AFL football if his form is good enough.

I completely support the club on this. It is now up to AJ and what his body will allow him to achieve. It would be wonderful for him and the club if he can get back to his 2012 form this coming season. Then a return to the senior list would be a no-brainer.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    The club�s decision to delist AJ and re-rookie him is pragmatic and does makes sense - and given the new rookie rules it still allows him to play senior AFL football if his form is good enough.

I completely support the club on this. It is now up to AJ and what his body will allow him to achieve. It would be wonderful for him and the club if he can get back to his 2012 form this coming season. Then a return to the senior list would be a no-brainer.
    I'd forgotten that change to the rookie rules. Summarised here: Everything you need to know about the AFL's new CBA | The Roar. Sensible. Next step is no rookie list, surely.

If Joel Amartey would have kicked this sitter to win the TAC cup final, he probably would have been taken in the ND.
    https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/stu...-ng-b88609965z

In that only ten 18 yo players were taken in the rookie draft this year attests to the shallowness of the talent pool. There weren't too many clubs willing to trade out of 2018 and into this year's draft, although WC did to get a big selection of picks in the 2nd round and Collingwood did to get Sam Murray (). Adelaide and GC both were able to trade into the 2018 first round, but were involved in complicated player moves. Adelaide lost Jake Lever to get their pick.

I didn't even consider that we might take Ling with pick 14 as there were sure to be several more highly rated similar players available. I thought we would go for Ed Richards, and if not, either Higgins or Fogarty. Surely these players were considered, but we also know that there are many factors considered that we are not aware of, including the player interviews. The Ling selection was kept well disguised and the recruiting staff are clearly pleased with their choice. We drafted for the future without expectation that any of our draftees will contribute to next year's tilt at the flag.

I found it odd that Collingwood needed KPPs, but ended up taking 3 midfielders. They gave up a 2nd round pick in next year's draft for Sam Murray, then drafted Nathan Murphy, who can play that role.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Strange that we drafted two KPF if Blakey is a done deal in next year's draft.
    He's not a done deal, would think he won't make up his mind until much closer to the nomination date.

Both the KPF we drafted are speculative, we could easily add another in Blakey and still not have too many.

On the comment about Pies recruiting, they have had an undefined recruiting strategy for some time but not recruiting KP players this year (again) might be because they seem buoyant about getting GC Tom Lynch as a FA next year to solve their lack of talls. He is a RFA so will cost them squillions though.
    Last edited by 707; 29th November 2017 at 08:27 AM.

I look forward to someone selecting an AFL and NEAFL team now that the changeover is completed - assuming no injuries etc.

My limited knowledge says with Talia and Laidler departures, the transfer of someone to that tall defender role will be needed.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I think the NEAFL Team had one too many tall defenders when all were fit anyway. Maibaum, Talia, Aliir and AJ each had stints forward when they were all playing together

Seniors

FB Melican Grundy Smith
    HB Lloyd Aliir Rampe
    C Jones Mills Hanners
    F Cameron Kennedy Parker
    HF Reid Franklin Heeney
    FF Papley Rohan K Jack
    INT Hewett Newman Dawson Hayward

Reserves

FB Johnson Maibaum Marsh
    HB O'Riordan Pink Stoddart
    C Harrry-C Robbo Ling
    F Naismith Towers Ronke
    HF Florent Amartey Fox
    FF McCartin Sinclair Rose
    INT Styles Foote Bell Baker

Injury List: Tippett, McVeigh

Ludwig, please refresh my memory. What injury does McVeigh have at the moment?

Regular in the Side
    I assume Baker is a toppie from somewhere!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Ludwig, please refresh my memory. What injury does McVeigh have at the moment?
    He's at least fared better than Naismith, who appears to have evaporated into the ether.
    Last edited by liz; 29th November 2017 at 03:39 PM.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    I assume Baker is a toppie from somewhere!
    Only because Candlestick-Maker was unavailable.