Page 257 of 267 FirstFirst ... 157207247253254255256257258259260261 ... LastLast
Results 3,073 to 3,084 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

It seems GWS have snatched one of our Academy players (not one I knew anything about): Giants snap up son of Kangaroos chairman - AFL.com.au. Canny of them. Hopefully we have been even shrewder.

Buckley was a member of the Sydney Swans academy in his mid-teens but drifted away from the game, focusing on basketball, before returning to play football.
    Not upset he isn't with the Swans
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veteran Site Admin
    Doesn't sound like he was still involved in our academy. I think he might have played a game or two with our NEAFL side last year though.

I am not that surprised to hear Bell is one we'll rookie. I wasn't that impressed with him in the U18 championships but he's far less developed than most of the (mostly) U19 NEAFL top-ups and thus could have a higher ceiling. There weren't any who regularly played NEAFL with us last season that stood out as having attributes that might elevate them to AFL level, though there was a lot to like about the work rate and consistency of Wicks and Osbourne.

Another couple of possibilities could be Rogers and Carroll. They were the mainstays in defence of the Swans' academy side that won the division two championship in 2017. From memory, neither is particularly tall, so they probably project as "third tall" types. But I thought the defensive organisation was the main reason the team won the championship against sides probably blessed with more natural talent. And the Swans' own history suggests you're more likely to find solid, AFL defenders from the later regions or the draft and/or late developers, than players to fill other roles.

I really think we need to target a big bodied inside midfielder. Kennedy is not got to be around forever and no guarantees that Dawson can transition to the senior. If he gets through to our pick i think Cassidy Parish could be worth a shot

Midfielder
    190cm/87kg
    Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
    4/5/99

Parish showed his wares across the season for the Falcons and Vic Country as a big, bustling ball-winning midfielder who gets clearances and possessions at will. The younger brother of emerging Bombers midfielder Darcy, Parish is great with his hands at ground level and can feed the ball out to the runners. He's also very big for an onballer, which could appeal to a club looking for depth in that area.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    James Bell and Jake Brown are our two Academy preselections

James Bell and Jake Brown are our pre-selected academy players, so JB and JB.

Stoddart looks a little like a young Paul Kelly (to me at least), but with lots more hair, on the video interview on our website.

Regular in the Side
    I reckon Sam Wicks is a bit stiff. Won a NEAFL Rising Star I remember. No mention of either AJ or Sam Fisher by Ben Collins on the AFL website of players likely to be recycled on to the rookie list. Would like to see AJ given a chance.

Ugg can we have a bit of info on those 2 we have pre selected if you have the info? Height, weight, expected position and a bit about there playing style and who they may compare to?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Both Bell and Brown showed some good signs in 2016, but neither seemed to make any progress this year. I know Brown had injuries, but not sure why Bell tailed off after a promising few games last year. But it's a fresh start, so good luck to them. Both will add some more pace to our list. I guess we need to support the academy with a draftee or 2 a year or no one will bother singing up. They probably are the best of the lot and are not without a chance if they can develop in a full time program.

There looks to be slim pickings in the rookie draft this year, so I'm expecting a surprise name never mentioned before called out on our 1st pick. How many cards can Kinnear have up his sleeve this time round. I think at least AJ will be redrafted and hope Fisher gets another go as well. I thought he looked more promising than either Bell or Brown, although not as quick.

I don't have the exact heights of the new recruits, but I would guess that Brown is around 185 cm, slim and quick (looks a bit like Will Hayward), and Bell is an indigenous kid around 182 and is quick and evasive, but ball use and consistency are questionable.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 27th November 2017 at 03:00 PM.

We've got picks 14, 29 and 37 this afternoon.

I agree it would be good to get another big-bodied mid to replace JPK but it's not desperate. Joey's got a few years left in him. Jordan Dawson might be the answer, we just don't know yet. It's more important to get good midfielders, it's not essential that they're big. Heeney, Mills and Jones are all going to spend more time in the middle. Especially with big midfielders being a sought after commodity it may be more likely to get a promising smaller mid in the rookie draft. We can also use trade to get a big bodied mid if a more urgent need arises. At a pinch we could send Rampe into the midfield and he's 188 cm or so (although I think we're much better off having him organising and rebounding in defence).

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Both Bell and Brown showed some good signs in 2016, but neither seemed to make any progress this year. I know Brown had injuries, but not sure why Bell tailed off after a promising few games last year. But it's a fresh start, so good luck to them. Both will add some more pace to our list. I guess we need to support the academy with a draftee or 2 a year or no one will bother singing up. They probably are the best of the lot and are not without a chance if they can develop in a full time program.

There looks to be slim pickings in the rookie draft this year, so I'm expecting a surprise name never mentioned before called out on our 1st pick. How many cards can Kinnear have up his sleeve this time round. I think at least AJ will be redrafted and hope Fisher gets another go as well. I thought he looked more promising than either Bell or Brown, although not as quick.

I don't have the exact heights of the new recruits, but I would guess that Brown is around 185 cm, slim and quick (looks a bit like Will Hayward), and Bell is an indigenous kid around 182 and is quick and evasive, but ball use and consistency are questionable.
    Bell has shown some sign of potential quality, albeit in the ressies games I saw where he played, it was a bit of 'hit and miss' . He Had a very decent game against GWS at spotless in the curtain raiser to the seniors game there in the 2nd half of the season. I think he is worth giving a go. Agree about Brown not seeming to kick on from 2016, but hopefully he will get back on track and injury free in 2018.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."