Page 167 of 267 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217 ... LastLast
Results 1,993 to 2,004 of 3194

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Warming the Bench
    I'm surprised that Jeremy Laidler retired, didn't seem to have persistent injuries. I wonder if he was asked to retire and given the coaching role as a sweetener? Maybe we're trying to get more cash together to bring someone in?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Papley was no more effective in the 2016 than Rohan, and only marginally more in the 2017 SF. Naming him supports the suggestion that it's very hard for forwards to look good when the midfield is being beaten.

Buddy wasn't at his best in either 2016 GF or 2017 SF but in each case he was physically hampered. When fit, he is a player with the fitness based to wander further afield and make an impact if the ball isn't coming into the forward line.

Can't comment on Brown or Daniher unless you refer to games where they functioned despite their midfields getting thumped. Even so, I don't deny that Rohan struggles to do this. I just attribute it to a lack of endurance (for which there is evidence available in the public domain - ie the knowledge that he's not had a pre-season for ages) as opposed to some construct of mental demons, for which I've seen no evidence presented.
    And what exactly would constitute evidence of mental demons? The lack of a pre season would impact in most matches, not just the major ones that require significant concentration and application

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    This is a shock, Laidler retires and will become a development coach. He only recently turned 28.

Journeyman Laidler retires - sydneyswans.com.au
    Surprised by this too. I always rated him. Never a star, but tough and dependable, a good kick and strong mark. Old school footballer, he
    looked like a man out there amongst the boys. He played well for us.

Warming the Bench
    I wonder if Papley will take his Grandfather's number 11 now that its vacant

Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    Exactly my thought!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    All class. A genuinely lovely guy who will be a wonderful addition to the coaching staff

Good, solid, bona fide contributor in the games he played for us.

Veterans List
    What about Heeney as FF. Reads the play, strong mark and hard to beat one on one. Buddy opens up the forward line leaving Heeney one on one. Dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    What about Heeney as FF. Reads the play, strong mark and hard to beat one on one. Buddy opens up the forward line leaving Heeney one on one. Dangerous.
    We have plenty of guys who could play FF (Heeney, Tippett, Sinclair, Rohan, Buddy) but we need players to deliver the ball to the full forward - Heeney is probably more useful further up the ground

2017 trading, drafting, list management

I'm surprised that Jeremy Laidler retired, didn't seem to have persistent injuries. I wonder if he was asked to retire and given the coaching role as a sweetener? Maybe we're trying to get more cash together to bring someone in?
    Laidler has had an operation on his foot/ankle since the season finished (photos on his Insta account) so perhaps his body was telling him it was time to retire.

I agree with other posters that Jeremy has always been a solid and dependable performer and he is a loss to our depth. And I also agree that he seems to be an all-round good guy so it is good that he will still be with the Swans.

Interesting thought. Papley chose number 41 because of the Mumford/Bunyip (country Victoria) connection. David Papley, Tom's father, was Mumford's first senior coach. So Tom does have an emotional attachment to his current guernsey - but perhaps number 11 will have even more sentiment attached to it.