Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Rnd.10 Sydney V Hawthorn. 19.50 pm. SCG.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by juliec View Post
    Anyone else notice how much Tippett falls over at crucial times!!!, myself like a lot of people on here really wanted Tippet to do well, but I don't think it is going to happen, also I think Reid has had so many chances, I would let him go
    It happens way too often. He is easily pushed off marking contests also. Do you think he has some sort of balance issue, due to past concussions?

Veterans List
    Gee I hate losing to the Hawks, especially like that.

Can anyone tell me what Grundy did to give away the down field free? From what other supporters have said and even the commentators, it was very very soft.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Still spewing....I hate losing on a Friday night, it taints the rest of the football weekend, ie; I want to ignore anything to do with AFL for the next two days. If that match was umpired fairly, we win.....that hurts too. This season is gone.....we will live to regret insipid performances against Port, Collingwood and Carlton and an insipid first half against the Hawks..... The mantra for rest of the season should be more 'Bloods' footy, less insipid crap......some of what we have dished up so far this season is inexcusable......Having said that, I think next year will bear fruit as the younger guys mature into the game more.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 28th May 2017 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Still spewing....I hate losing on a Friday night, it taints the rest of the football weekend, ie; I want to ignore anything to do with AFL for the next two days. If that match was umpired fairly, we win.....that hurts too. This season is gone.....we will live to regret insipid performances against Port, Collingwood and Carlton and an insipid first half against the Hawks..... The mantra for rest of the season should be more 'Bloods' footy, less insipid crap......some of what we have dished up so far this season is inexcusable......Having said that, I think next year will bear fruit as the younger guys mature into the game more.
    I'm going to judge our season over the context of the games from Brisbane on, that is after the Carlton game which for mine was probably the most gutless performance I've ever seen from a team in red and white.

So far we are 3-1 and I defy anyone to suggest our boys did not give everything on Friday like some of the more fragile posters here claim. We were bullied early yes, we made some skill errors and missed our opportunities but we had a go. And we were two men down against a team that whilst in decline can still play good tough footy and find a way to win.

The upside as you say is that we are getting really good game time into the following first and second year players - Mills, Aliir (hopefully), Hewett, Melican, Newman, Florent, Naismith (hopefully) and Hayward.

And as for the "fans" on here who threaten to tear up their membership cards every time we lose a game can you please do us all a favour and actually do it! Because is you can't handle losing don't follow a sporting team

Veterans List
    I was going to add to my post above post (but didn't hit 'edit' in time) that I was very proud of the way our boys fought back to lead with two less rotations available for virtually three quarters.....it was gutsy. Also that we can't control the umpires in the dying minutes......that had a big bearing on the result.....one we deserved to win. We'll win more than we lose for the rest of the season, that's for sure.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    What did the umpires supposedly do wrong in the final minutes?

Veteran Site Admin
    I brought myself to watch a replay of the second half of the game.

I don't think that free kick against Towers was there. The rule is to protect players against forceful contact below the knees, not just any contact. Towers head did make contact with the Hawthorn player but it's hard to see how it could be deemed to be forceful. That said, I don't think Towers should have got a free himself either, for high contact. He'd played on a kicked a point so it didn't clearly cost a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I'm going to judge our season over the context of the games from Brisbane on, that is after the Carlton game which for mine was probably the most gutless performance I've ever seen from a team in red and white.

So far we are 3-1 and I defy anyone to suggest our boys did not give everything on Friday like some of the more fragile posters here claim. We were bullied early yes
    I felt we were the ones who were doing a lot of the pushing and shoving early rather than going hard at the contest. Ever since we got belted by them in the GF i feel like the Swans are trying to make a physical statement to them. But they are going about it in the wrong way with the push and shove. And the Hawks know it. They bait is just enough for us to react. Clarkson has us worked out in so many ways. Attack them hard in the contest. That is the only way for them to roll over. Just like we did against st kilda.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Jones fined $1500 (second offence)
    Grundy fined $1000

Warming the Bench
    Grundy's looked fine, I thought Jones might get a week so that's good news

If hawthorn are starting to put on a clinic of uncontested footy I am not happy with us sitting back in our half of the field and letting the game come to us and then slingshotting the other way

Because.......we didn't sling shot hardly at all in the first half and most importantly we allowed the gap to widen to much on the score board

The answer for me is simple.......we have to be flexible......we need to be able to hold the ball longer......play some uncontested footy ........starve the momentum

Why is it this so hard?

Plenty of us have played afl and soccer at a snr level non professional and it was a very simple strategy that teams that only train twice a week can achieve

Then once the other team looses its momentum its rhythm u rip in with ur preferred style that suits ur team

We had as many good kickers n our team on the weekend and we showed no plan B - the boys can kick......they can spread, they can use sideways and backwards kicks......it was the coaches that didn't allow us to use this style in a situation where needed a pressure release !!!

There was not one sign that showed me in the first half that we have evolved in our strategy to minimise scoreboard separation

They key is keeping the points level in these tight chess like periods of the game and if that means using some uncontested footy to hold the ball........well all I know is if u have the friggen ball hawthorn don't !!!!

Still so mad

If anyone wants to go minute by minute in the first half of footy and show me deliberate cumulative short uncontested football by the swans that replicates what hawthorn did to us in spades and embrarrsed our coaches - plse show me
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 29th May 2017 at 04:36 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Jones fined $1500 (second offence)
    Grundy fined $1000
    Good results, thought Grundy's was a non event but Jones can count himself lucky albeit it was a low impact punch to the upper chest region. Think any punch to the face and gut punches will be penalised from now.