Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 3, Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, 07/04/18, SCG @sydneyswans #AFLSwansGiants

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    One interesting stat I noted is that we hit the 90 interchange cap last night, I don't recall us having hit that number before. It might explain why Towers had such a low TOG in the last quarter.

A good win by the lads. I'm loving Cal Sinclair. Can't fault his effort and clunked a few marks.

It�s happening
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Some of the younger guys SHOULD be starting to rank among our best every week, so it's great to see that this is starting to happen. Our bottom 6 is definitely getting better.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer_Cheer View Post
    It was Mills who walked out in front of the crowd and did a speech we couldn't hear due to commentator ramblings. Maybe ch7 got it wrong and it was a different award. Maybe the encouragement :-)
    I think the Swans TV interviewer made a 'namo' mistake......like a verbal typo. Two Callums......it was Mills who got the Brett Kirk Medal.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I actually prefer Reid in the back line - his height is an advantage & his defence is pretty good (howl me down if you like).Heeney
    is great, Sinclair is getting more confident & comfortable in his own skin, Papley is just a little terrier - love him and young Hayward is going to be awesome when he grows up - I�m liking him. But I�m concerned about Hanners, Kieran & Reg - they just seem a bit flat. Just my observation that�s all. But a wins a win!!!
    I will howl you down. "NOOOOOO!" To be used as an occasional swingman only when needed! How much better did our forward line look with Reid in it? So much better and we scored over a hundred points with a better spread of goal kickers. He's a forward who makes our forward line function more efficiently......

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Anyone hear anything about Reid and Melican who both had ice on legs Reid to quad and Melican on hammy?
    I think I saw the Reid incident with about 8 min left in the 4th quarter, Reid was in our defensive zone and went up to spoil or mark the ball and took a hip to the thigh while in the air. He looked okay right afterwards, but I guess he's got a contusion and was iced up. I would guess that there's no serious damage if that was indeed the incident. No mention of Melican anywhere, so I guess he's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I reckon that was a very even performance across the team. They all made some mistakes but it's hard to find a player who also didn't have some very good moments. I think the coaches' faith in sticking with Florent and Hayward is being vindicated. Florent wasn't as involved this week as last (but still had good moments) but this week it was Hayward's turn to really step it up.

A lot of our younger players were excellent. Heeney's already been spoken about in the thread, and while I wouldn't have had Mills as BOG, his game was much better than the first two rounds. Melican was impressive, especially early in the game, with his composure and his ability to impact contests. Hewett shutting down Whitfield was impressive. And Papley was super lively too. We are no longer a team that relies on the top four or five players having good games. Not that they older players didn't also contribute, but it wasn't just down to them.
    I reckon too after seeing the replay.

I thought Buddy was BOG even before the 2 goals, but we've gotten so used to him doing the spectacular, we don't judge him on the same basis as others. Heeney and Hayward were my other 2 standouts, but as you say, it was a very even performance.

For those watching the telecast, it was very obvious that the heat and pace of the game really took a toll on the players. The times they showed Papley coming to the bench, he was completely spent.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 8th April 2018 at 03:21 PM.

I really love the team first attitude of George Hewitt. He was certainly acknowledged by Horse and others post match but it deserves mentioning again. Whitfield had 7 possessions to 3/4 time. He got to 15 in the end but the 8 in the final quarter were largely cheap. It wasn�t as though Whitfield was lazy either - he ran 16.2 kms for the match which was the most of anyone. Hewett, of course, was number 2. The role of a good tigger is certainly not dead.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    One interesting stat I noted is that we hit the 90 interchange cap last night, I don't recall us having hit that number before. It might explain why Towers had such a low TOG in the last quarter.
    I think we had 26 in the first quarter, burnt them early so no surprise to see us run short in the last and the 90 used

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Good games from Heeney, Buddy, Sinkers especially. Several others played well. Fumbling sometimes still an issue, and my impression was that on the whole GWS marked the ball better than we did, but we did enough in a hard-fought game.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Despite warm night, conditions looked to be greasy again. Both teams had trouble with ball handling. Can't remember conditions like this at SCG at night. Maybe I'm wrong. Is it time of year in Sydney? Humidity? I'm in Melbourne so don't know local weather patterns.
    I'm hoping it's more to do with this Indian summer we've been having and nothing to do with a night time dew issue particularly as almost all of our home games are at night this year.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    I'm hoping it's more to do with this Indian summer we've been having and nothing to do with a night time dew issue particularly as almost all of our home games are at night this year.
    We do have a high number of handballs in close so greasy conditions don't help us I reckon.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast