Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: RWO site changes, bugs, disruptions thread

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I fixed it by removing the URL. I think the issue is happening for a few sites - Channel 7 was the culprit in this instance, but we have also met issues with foxsports. I believe the bug lies in the expansion of the URL to take into account the title of the link so that it can display the friendly title instead of the unfriendly URL, but on complex sites it is mistakenly capturing other details such as images.

Is anyone aware of how this actually works? Is this a vBulletin plugin we are using?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Post #206 in the Elijah Taylor thread has one of those notorious ABC iview links that's breaking the rest of the thread.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Regular in the Side
    I have used the free TinyURL to shorten the troublesome ABC ivew link and re-post the same as post #207 and apparently, it overcomes the problem.

Sorry, my fault. Does the issue arise with every link to an abc news story? I wasn't posting a link to anything related to iview.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Sorry, my fault. Does the issue arise with every link to an abc news story? I wasn't posting a link to anything related to iview.
    Yes

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Post #78 in the Season Review thread is broken with some enormous icons.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Post 70 broke the 2021 pre-season general footy chat thread. Once again the issue is a URL pasted from ABC News. The solution, as outlined below, is to format the link properly with text + a URL, don't just paste the URL.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I've noticed recently when pasting URLs from the ABC website that the link text displays as "iview", and the rest of the page after that link doesn't display properly.

One solution is to edit your post like this:

- copy and paste the story title from the ABC page
    - select the title words in your post and click the "Link" button (the globe + chain link icon)
    - copy the ABC page URL and paste it in, click "OK"

Or if you know how to edit the code for a link plus its text manually, do it that way. So long as link text is added, rather than just pasting the URL.

Veteran Site Admin
    Post 70 broke the 2021 pre-season general footy chat thread. Once again the issue is a URL pasted from ABC News. The solution, as outlined below, is to format the link properly with text + a URL, don't just paste the URL.
    As the person who generally has to go in and fix these threadbusters, I'd love for people to follow your suggestion. However, I confess I don't quite understand it. Specifically, the second step. Where is this "link" button? How does one navigate to it?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    As the person who generally has to go in and fix these threadbusters, I'd love for people to follow your suggestion. However, I confess I don't quite understand it. Specifically, the second step. Where is this "link" button? How does one navigate to it?
    If you use the desktop site, there's a row of icons and one is a globe with a chain link symbol. But perhaps that doesn't exist on mobile or Tapatalk.

Basically the problem is that people just copy and paste the URL. What they need to do is create a link properly, using some text.

So instead of just this (which is surrounded by "noparse" tags so it won't convert to a broken link):

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-05/heritier-lumumba-strength-in-african-culture-collingwood-afl/12820942

They need this:

[URL="https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-05/heritier-lumumba-strength-in-african-culture-collingwood-afl/12820942"]Héritier Lumumba reclaimed his name and found strength in African history. Will it change Collingwood and the AFL?[/URL]

It helps to preview posts using "Go Advanced" too, but I know people often post in a hurry, quite understandably.

Veteran Site Admin
    I pretty much always use the desktop site. But until 10 secs ago it wasn't clear to me where this row of icons was. But in the process of writing this response, I have spotted them.

For anyone else semi-blind like me, they are immediately above the text box you are writing in if you are writing a response. The ""globe with a chain link" symbol just looks like a blue blob to me. Maybe that's because I'm on a small screen laptop.

Senior Player
    Maybe this short video will help if the text instructions are not clear.

How to post a URL from ABC News to RWO

Maybe this short video will help if the text instructions are not clear.

How to post a URL from ABC News to RWO

Ta. I'll try that if I want to post something from the ABC site.

Although I had it in my head, that the problem may have been linking from the ABC app, rather than their standard site. I can't recall if I did the experiment, to confirm or deny? Could that have anything to do with it?