Page 61 of 90 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NEAFL discussion thread

I like Bell and McInerney's games today. I hope we keep these two moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I like Bell and McInerney's games today. I hope we keep these two moving forward.
    Yes, I thought both did well today. McInerney was possibly BOG. Either him or Rose. Knoll was also good, even if he was up against part timers in the ruck: 16 possessions and a goal. Also in the ruck, Naismith was a pretty good return. Up forward, Menzel was our best with four goals. And when he was down back, I thought that Amartey was our best defender. Foot had a very good first half, but was quieter in the second. Wicks, as per usual, topped our tackle count.

Of the academy players, Campbell had a promising debut: two goals, with plenty of possessions and pressure acts. Thorne was busy. I also liked Brewer in defence. Rayner's game could have been much better, if he didn't miss four gettable shots.

Overall, I thought it was a good performance, against a Brisbane side, that has had the benefit of a remarkably low injury toll. Who knows, if they suddenly get injuries and we have a good run, then we could even beat them in the finals.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Sydney 2.4-16 6.5-41 8.9-57 10.11-71
    Brisbane 4.2-26 5.5-35 10.8-68 15.13-103

Sydney
    Goal Kickers: D. Menzel 4, S. Naismith 2, B. Campbell 2, Z. Foot, M. Knoll
    Best Players: J. Bell, J. Rose, J. McInerney, D. Menzel, S. Naismith, J. Thurlow

Brisbane
    Goal Kickers: J. Madden 2, R. Bastinac 2, C. Lyons 2, C. Cox 2, C. Ballenden 2, L. Taylor, N. Robertson, C. McFadyen, R. Mathieson, E. Smith
    Best Players: M. Eagles, R. Bastinac, C. Lyons, C. Cox, J. Madden, E. Smith

Pink
    I think we should persist
    Only 20yrs of age
    I keep forgetting

He seems to be improving his craft as a newish key defender

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Pink
    I think we should persist
    Only 20yrs of age
    I keep forgetting

He seems to be improving his craft as a newish key defender
    There might be an opening for him after Melican's performance today

I thought Rose was easily Best for us. Just when I thought he was prime for delisting, he shows just how talented he is. It would be a pity to let him go, although some of his efforts in his last AFL game was bordering on pathetic. He can be lazy and choose his moments (as if no one is watching), but his skills are very good and he can play lots of positions, including inside mid.

I think we should play Knoll in the seniors next week, before Naismith is ready to come into the side. As much as I would like to play a more mobile ruckman, we're getting hurt too much playing someone like McLean against these monster ruckmen. The ruck situation will be a challenging one at the end of the season.

I don't know how Thurlow made the Best list. I thought he only started playing reasonably well when he was moved into the midfield, I think in the 4th qtr. Maybe he can be turned into a tagger. He's bigger, quicker and a better kick than Clarke. He doesn't offer much as a defender, sadly.

I like the experiment of playing Amartey as a KPD, even though he doesn't seem to know what he's doing back there. He's much better forward of centre. But it would be nice if he can learn the craft, because we can use a his size and athleticism against some of these big forwards. Pink is developing slowly, has the speed, but not the strength, to handle big key forwards.

There's some talent in these kids like Bell, McInerney, Foot and Wicks, but there's still a lot of development needed to get AFL ready.

Campbell looks a very classy player. Along with Gulden, something to look forward to in 2020 draft.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 29th July 2019 at 12:44 AM.

Veterans List
    Ludwig, you have been on the long term injury list for some time. How is the recovery going since your holiday down under. JL is looking for a big pre season from you.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Regular in the Side
    One look at those stats and you have to ask how did Naismith make the best players ahead of Knoll.

The stats show 1 mark and 5 tackles for Naismith -normally would be the other way round

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Nice to see James Bell performing well. I have hopes for him.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Nice to see James Bell performing well. I have hopes for him.
    Yes, his best game do far after steady improvement all year. I hope it continues.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!