Page 83 of 148 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post

What happened to Jamie was disastrous for him and us!

Nice that someone remembers Greg Lambert, one of my favourite Swans from the 60s and 70s. I have a Scanlen's footy card of him. Number 33 if memory serves me correctly?
    Hi Sandrdge, yes Greg did wear No. 33 & I also had couple of his Scanlens cards. He was nick named race horse due to his speed, which never dropped off through his career. I remember he went to play in the VFA in 1978 after finishing his career with us (Dandenong I think?).

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Yes terribly sad that his career ended like that given he was very young and just starting out. His speed was something to see and I don’t think I could name many players faster. He was one of the shining lights during a pretty dark time for Swan supporters and to see his career end the way it did seemed like just one more obstacle thrown at us. Thanks for the post I haven’t thought about him for quite some time and I will seek out the podcast.
    All the more sad for Jamie that club played in GF just 2 years later! Just how much better he & the team could have been on that day we'll never know.

Regular in the Side
    I vaguely remember Jamie playing, but I remember clearly the feeling of excitement I got as a youngster every time he got the ball and went for a run. Such a horrible injury
    Life's not a spectator sport

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    He could also give the ball an almighty roost, especially considering he weighed next to nothing.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Lewis Jetta would be the closest player we’ve had in comparison to playing style, but where Lewis seemed to glide over the turf, Lawsons legs seemed to move at a million miles a minute

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Diesel Williams has been appointed as Carlton Football Director - a remarkable achievement given his chronic traumatic encephalopathy, and the doubts it must have raised.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Diesel Williams has been appointed as Carlton Football Director - a remarkable achievement given his chronic traumatic encephalopathy, and the doubts it must have raised.
    I'm sorry but I still find it hard to have warm, fuzzy feelings about Diesel because of the way in which he walked out on the Swans in our greatest hour of need. Today he even admits to having received large under the table payments from Carlton to go to them. It was a devastating loss to the Club back then.

For those on here who were not following the Swans back in those days, the most recent comparison would be to ask how Gold Coast Suns fans feel about Lynch going to Richmond to play in a premiership side.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I'm sorry but I still find it hard to have warm, fuzzy feelings about Diesel because of the way in which he walked out on the Swans in our greatest hour of need. Today he even admits to having received large under the table payments from Carlton to go to them. It was a devastating loss to the Club back then.

For those on here who were not following the Swans back in those days, the most recent comparison would be to ask how Gold Coast Suns fans feel about Lynch going to Richmond to play in a premiership side.
    To be fair the only reason he came to us apart from following Tommy Hafey was the money we offered him which was a lot more than Geelong did at the time.
    Carlton did what Carlton did during that period but it was only $$$ that got him to the Swans in the first place

Yep, I recall Diesel still had 2 years on his contract when he wanted to jump ship. Didn't want to hang around post the Edelsten era as club was about to enter dark period of 3 successive spoons & came within hair's breath of folding. Barry Mitchell (father of Tom) also jumped ship around this time to Collingwood.

To be fair on Diesel I do remember reading him joining in the secret festivities on the SCG centre after we'd won that famous 96 PF. Showed he still had some fondness for our club.
    Last edited by KSAS; 27th August 2021 at 10:13 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post

I dunno. These guys have to eat. Footy careers are short. Footy fans ask a lot from players sometimes I think. Williams was an
    incredible player. You don't win two Brownlows by accident. He was quite slow but never seemed to get caught. He would jog
    along with the ball, eyes darting all over the place, looking for the best option and rarely failed to hit his target. A real ball
    distributor. But managed to get himself into a lot of strife (getting reported a lot, racial vilification, dodgy payments and generally
    being very crochety) along the way. Remember a while ago when he wanted to take legal action against the AFL because he
    didn't get any Brownlow votes in a particular game where he thought he was BOG and it was because the umpires had a
    vendetta against him. Anyway he said not getting votes in that game cost him a third Brownlow. So yeah, I can see how he is
    not universally loved.
    Last edited by KTigers; 27th August 2021 at 10:28 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    So yeah, I can see how he is
    not universally loved.
    Possibly one of the understatements of the year 😀

His placement on the Blues board has not been universally accepted either he is a polarising individual but when he played for us I for one always felt he was one of the top half a dozen players in the competition and we were lucky to have him.
    In reality at that stage I doubt we would have been able to honour the last couple of years of his , and possibly several other players contracts , as we were writing checks we couldn’t cash. And let’s not forget this we were not exactly innocent of this type of behaviour

In February 1992, it was uncovered that both Williams and the Sydney Swans had breached the league's salary regulations. I Williams had received additional, undeclared payments via one of Sydney's sponsors during the 1990 season, with both the club and the player aware of the rort. Both plead guilty to the AFL. The club was fined $50,000, and Williams was fined $25,000 and de-registered by the league for eleven weeks. Williams was in his first pre-season with Carlton at the time, and his debut for the club was delayed until Round 7 as a result of the deregistration.

Having said that once he left he was in my eyes a dirty washed out racist hack who never missed an opportunity to have a whinge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I didn't know about that, but he's replacing Chris Judd, so the bar is set very low. Limited cognitive function would still be an improvement.